Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Get Trained!! Project Mapleseed Event Rocks!! 13 Oct 2017

Business Member

Get Trained!! Project Mapleseed Event Rocks!! 13 Oct 2017

One of the many joys of being a Training Geek that I am, happens whenever I encounter new-to-my-matches shooters. It's quite interesting to hear the first thing out of their mouths in conversation....

"I have a newly purchased McMillan Tac-50, how do I get started in PR?"

"I'm attending a sniper course in Northern Ontario, you likely will have never heard of this place...."

"I just bought an Accuracy International rig in .338 Lap Mag, why do I need a .22 trainer?"

I call these conversation starters, "The KISS of death..." and this experience usually does not end too well for the shooter...

If you want to get serious about PR shooting, then get some great fundamental training at the (Facebook Search them...) Project Mapleseed Event nearest your home gun club.

These guys are fantastic and their delivery is right up there with mine, better yet, I'm stealing some of their shzt... that's the ultimate compliment!

So here are some pictures and some anecdotal comments to accompany them...

Get a decent .22LR rig with a magazine feed (lots of magazines, too) and mount up the best optics you can. Don't cheap out on the optics. Here's a Vortex PST scope for around $1600 with MRad reticle

I'm using a CZ455 American Synthetic as my personal trainer rig. The optic is a Falcon Optic from Frontier Firearms 5 x 25 x 56mm FFP or front focal plane MRAD reticle

My sling is a Turner Saddlery Biothane (material) M1907 Sling. They are in Clay, Abalama and they ship to Canada. This is the last sling you will buy...

Along my journey to my first Black Belt, my sifu/master/sensei/instructor/mentor reminded me that, "Goals you set , are goals you get..."

It's nice to win the Rifleman badge, but the payoff is in your increased skills and marksmanship and self esteem and confidence. That confidence is what you take to the matches with you. Well, the skills too....

I get a kick out of hunters (I worked at Barrie Cabelas store Gun Counter) who tell me that there's no need to train in the standing position. It costs too much money to shoot from the standing when I can merely sit on the bench.

Well, it costs more money and pride if you DON'T train from the standing position and miss your Trophy Moose/Deer/Bear/Elk/Goat/Sheep

Adopt the sitting position and discover what position gives you the best stability... which leg in front? Take a Yoga class , this helps old pharts like me get into position.

Now have a look at the use of the sling... find a good sling that works for your training purposes. If you are not training, I'm sorry to announce that you ain't gonna have much success once we start stressing you in the competition games.

Examine the different .22LR rigs and their optics choices. You are only limited by your imagination. We even had many iron sight shooters at this event.

Once you get good with your different positions, expand your comfort level and start shooting with a tripod and PIG Saddle

In short... they Project Mapleseed folks are top shelf. Their training methodology is top notch and most parallel to my brand of delivery. The $40 or $50 or $60 they charge for ONE day of very intense training understates their great abilities/potential.

Warmest regards out there!!

Barney

AKA, your tactical Teacher!
    Last edited by TacticalTeacher; 10-24-2017 at 06:14 PM.

Thanks for the write-up Barney! We really appreciate your participation, support and encouragement!

For us as a non-profit, the goal is providing cost-effective fundamental marksmanship instruction to Canadians while building a community. We will be adding more layers to the learning lasagna in the future that will provide an even better foundation, as well as some new jokes That should set folks up very well for your matches and clinics.

We are pretty overwhelmed by the interest and are going to be ramping up over the winter to deliver more events to more places in 2018.

Cheers,

Kevin
    Club Member: FRPC, CFB Kingston Gun Club. Director, Project Mapleseed.

Hmm sounds like me, Ive got a Tikka Tactical 308 and a SWFA 3x15x42 scope on it. I tend to hit what I aim at but am not too sure why lol.
    Life is not that complicated. You get up, you go to work, eat three meals, you take one good shlt and you go back to bed. What’s the fvcking mystery?! - George Carlin

CGN Regular
    +1. I attended Project Mapleseed earlier this autumn, and it was excellent.

BTW, super expensive equipment is not required to learn the fundamentals and shoot reasonably well. Here is the gear I used:
    - Ruger 10/22, 22" stainless barrel ($340 on clearance at my local Crappy Tire)
    - 2 Ruger mags
    - UTG Picatinny rail (too short for the scope's eye relief, the downside of online shopping, lol)
    - Simmons Pro-Target 3-9x40 scope (not bad at all, $120 on Amazon) with Weaver rings
    - 1" nylon webbing, 1/2" nylon webbing, plus some quick release buckles to create a makeshift adjustable sling. Transitions were super easy: plastic buckles go click-click way faster than standard sling attachments. And it cost about $8 to build.
    - UTG butt pad (1" SKS tactical) to adjust LOP - the standard 10/22 stock is too short for me.
    - decent ammo - CCI works well.

I also tried doing it with SKS and iron sights for s and g.
    Last edited by 5.45; 10-30-2017 at 07:41 PM.

CGN Regular
    This looks amazing. I'll definitely be signing up for any upcoming events if they're in southern ontario.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    This looks amazing. I'll definitely be signing up for any upcoming events if they're in southern ontario.
    Rodder, we will definitely be doing events in Southern Ontario in 2018. Sign up for event notification online www.mapleseedrifleman.com with your email address.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Sakoman .308's Avatar
    I would love to do this one day.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Trinimon's Avatar
    Looks like fun! Might have to look into this next year. :P
    CSSA Member

Mapleseed is on my radar, now just need to find a way to avoid timing conflicts like this year.

Oh, and Barney is behind the counter in Barrie Cabelas ? I foresee some folks talking your ears of now ...

Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mossler View Post
    Mapleseed is on my radar, now just need to find a way to avoid timing conflicts like this year.

Oh, and Barney is behind the counter in Barrie Cabelas ? I foresee some folks talking your ears of now ...
    Ha ha ha ha.... I was with the store opening back in Summer of 2014. And I do have great stories of Gun Counter conversations. Many people did not know who I was back then. All great fun.

Now back to the Project Mapleseed fun... it's top shelf instruction and the takeaways are plentiful! These guys rock! And why shouldn't you. Kelly was telling me the targets are 4 MOA or something like that so super accurate rifles are not always warranted. Can you shoot a box stock .22 LR rifle? Sure you can...

It's all good!

Barney

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast