Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 35678910111213141516171819202123 ... LastLast

Thread: M+M Industries M10x DMR - Non-Restricted 18.6” in 7.62x39mm Canada

CGN Ultra frequent flyer bfiles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinbad View Post
    I'm going with to justify paying double for something that shoots the same caliber. You know he dosen't have one.
    Quality is definitely 10x better then a T81 ;-)
    CSSA CCFR PROUD MEMBER
    "Sleep in bliss Pops"!!!!!!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer beltfed's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kozse View Post
    https://ibb.co/goi1sy

Took mine to the range this morning and put 100 rds of S&B 124gr brass case through it. there were no malfunctions of any sort.

Once i sighted in my Eotech at 25 yrds i was able to put rounds through the same hole from the lead sled. Off hand shooting sitting down
    I could keep within a 3 inch group with maybe 5 - 8 seconds rest in between shots. Standing i was able to put 5 rounds in about a palm sized area.
    I would have tried more from the sled and pushed the distance...
    - Kozse
    Let me know if I'm reading / inferencing this correct: the one holing came at 25m and the 3"/palm sized groups were at 100m? Or was the 3"/Palm sized groups at 25m as well?
    Life Member CCFR and CSSA
    Posts made by the pseudonym "Beltfed" may not accurately reflect the beliefs and opinions of the Registered User.

CGN frequent flyer
    After skimming through the diatribe of negativity in this thread, I would suggest that any of you who ordered an M10X should go to the gun store to pick it up no more than 5 minutes before the store closes so you are the last guy in there when you utter the ultimate fighting words...

"Hi, I'm here to pick up the M10X I ordered."

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Chumlee Bumsnag's Avatar
    There's always the good ol M305 in 7.62x39! Probably get 4 of them for 2k. It's heavy too and takes AK mags. NC Star mount and a Tasco scope and you're good to go ;^)

Quote Originally Posted by beltfed View Post
    Let me know if I'm reading / inferencing this correct: the one holing came at 25m and the 3"/palm sized groups were at 100m? Or was the 3"/Palm sized groups at 25m as well?
    No you're reading correctly, except its 25 yards so more like 22 meters. Also I have small palms, 4 inches diagonal. I was shooting using a 1x optic so no magnifaction holding a 10lb rifle not in competition having fun on a Sunday morning at the range lol. Like I said I would have pushed the distance to my ranges max 50yrds if the sled allowed. Im sure people will be able to shoot better than I can with this rifle. I dont pretend to be able to shoot toonies off a fence at 100m using irons. Im just an average joe enjoying the sport giving an initial range report.

-kozse

Quote Originally Posted by beltfed View Post
    At the risk of, but by no means intending to inject myself into the M10x bashing:
    I think a rifle to rival the modern amenities of the M10x; 'ergos, modularity and optic-readiness included', while at the same time achieving the classic, simplistic AK-like rifle to replace an AKMS doesn't exist in one rifle - the M10x included. I think the descriptors are so 'apples and oranges' from each other as to define two very different rifles.
    While it's true the T-81 lacks the ergos, modularity and ability to accept optics, it does offer the old school 'battle rattle' appeal of an AKM, as does the soon to be prohib. VZ-58s
    In that regard, it could be argued the T-81s are more akin to the AKMS than the M10x is.
    As a service rifle aficionado, and someone not easily swayed by peer perceptions on a platform I'd be interested to hear your reasoning for boycotting a T-81 from your collection.
    I think that the M10X may come closer to singularly bridging the two distinct rifles that you referenced, than you think. It is the "refined" AK/550 hybrid aspect of the M10X that first appealed to me, and what has made me a fan of the concept. I say "may" simply because I do not yet know for sure, not having actually handled and fired the rifle for myself as yet. I will have a firmer opinion on the relative merits of the M10X when I receive my own example this coming week. That said, the concept and specifications are certainly attractive to me - a Non-Restricted 7.62x39mm semi-auto rifle that blends the best of the AK (eg. the magazine & sheet metal Lower Receiver), with the long-stroke piston operating system of the SIG 550 series, housed in an innovative Upper Receiver mating steel wear surfaces with a monolithic aluminum Outer/Upper Receiver that provides an optics and BUIS-ready uninterrupted Picatinny Rail at the 12:00 position. Sure sounds good to me so far. Unlike some, I am able to separate my distaste for the unnecessary drama surrounding the M10X's launch in Canada, from the merits of the rifle itself and the attractive package that it represents. As far as I am concerned, if the rifle delivers on its positive reviews State-side, then it is worth the asking price of $2K to me. YMM (obviously) differ.

As regards the Type 81, my reason for not owning one is simple - I once owned a Norinco Type 56S-2 (or some such nomenclature). It was such a poorly-executed specimen of a side-folder AK that my disappointment was manifest. Having already sampled Norinco "service rifle" quality (or the horrific lack thereof), I had a sneaking suspicion that the T81 would be more of the same. And at the end of the day? I wasn't wrong, not by a long-shot. Say what you want in its defence, but the T81 is a sloppily-executed design that shows its obsolescence in a complete lack of modularity, poor ergonomics (including difficult to use iron sights) and an inability to mount optics. I could go on, but you get the idea. I hated the Norinco Type 56S, and knew intuitively that I would similarly despise the Type 81 for its razor-sharp metal edges, rust-prone salt-bluing and hit-or-miss quality control. As it turns out the T81 was worse than even I had anticipated, with bent Receivers, poor buttstock to Receiver alignment/fitment, and so on. Is it a disposable $1000 bullet hose that works if assembled in correct alignment? Sure is, but such a firearm has no place alongside the other firearms in my collection. Not even as an example of "how not to build a gun"! Call me a "gun snob", I could care less. The T81 is a POS as far as I am concerned and I refuse to spend my hard-earned money on a firearm that I have zero interest in owning. Hopefully that answers your question to your satisfaction. ��
    Last edited by Bartok5; 06-18-2018 at 07:23 AM.
    Mark C

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by jiffx2781 View Post
    First off I'm not telling you my choice is right and your's is wrong. You asked a question so here's my opinion.

I'd buy one of those overpriced (4x their value, as you say) NR receiver sets you were mocking. My first build comes in at $1845. It was 1k for the receiver set plus $845 for a complete new Stag Arms A2 rifle kit.

With $2k you can build pretty much anything in any common caliber that you wish. If the build starts to exceed $2k it's only because you are choosing to use higher end parts. Keep it in the $2k price range and you have a rifle that is every bit comparable to the M10X.

Plus with my "overpriced" receiver set I have no worries about future parts availability as the only proprietary part is the receiver. I can buy ar15 parts virtually anywhere.

The M10X is a completely proprietary firearm. There is no certainty that M&M will be around for me should I ever need support in the future. With the receiver sets I can support it myself as AR parts aren't ever going away.

Buy whatever we like. Justify it however we like. Doesn't make anybody's choice any more right than the other guy thinks he is. Just my .02
    Well said and with your points above I would say your choice is a more logical one than the M10x.

Quote Originally Posted by bfiles View Post
    He has every right too rub it in if you want to start BS. Mark probably has one of the most extensive collections among even some museums.

He knows what the #### he is talking about
    It was sarcasm, perhaps you didn't get that vibe.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Well, honestly AKs don't give me a hard on, so to me a m10x is just another rifle that shoots x39. I understand we don't look from the same point of view. For example, I don't care that it's R or NR, I wouldn't shoot it other than at a range. I don't care much about the calibre either, I have as much fun plinking with federal 223 as I do plinking with surplus x39.

The one I shot wasn't any better than any 2k$ AR I've ever seen. I would compare to an average sub-1000$ AR. If you shoot surplus with it, it doesn't matter anyway, any well functioning rifle will yield roughly the same result; the accuracy will be limited by the ammos. So there is functionnaly little difference, it's all about the look, and as I said, AKs don't exactly give me a hard-on.

To be sure, it wasn't a bad rifle or anything, just not a 2k$ rifle. In US the price was a lot lower (don't remember how much exactly, but converted to CAD at the then-rate, I think it was closer to 1500$), yet it didn't sell very well, because, as a store employee told me "why not get a real AK instead?" Because we can't in canada, but if we could, I suspect you'd have 50 different AKs before you'd buy a m10x for 2k$.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Can-down's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartok5 View Post
    I am not the least bit offended by those who choose to denigrate M+M Industries or North Sylva for their alleged pricing and/or distribution improprieties. What offends me are people who presume that just because I support the arrival of a new firearm such as the M10X, I also automatically support the manufacturer and distributor. That is akin to presuming that any collector of WW2 German firearms or other militaria is a Nazi because they admire their wartime designs. It is a foolish and incorrect inference, and THAT is what pisses me off! Well, that and fools - I also have a hard time abiding idiots without a clue as to whatever discussion is at hand....
    Fair enough, I didn't realize anyone was doing that but maybe I wasn't reading close enough or between the lines.

It's nice to see some range reports coming in!
    Our Government trusts rivets more then law abiding gun owners.

Quote Originally Posted by jiffx2781 View Post
    First off I'm not telling you my choice is right and your's is wrong. You asked a question so here's my opinion.

I'd buy one of those overpriced (4x their value, as you say) NR receiver sets you were mocking. My first build comes in at $1845. It was 1k for the receiver set plus $845 for a complete new Stag Arms A2 rifle kit.

With $2k you can build pretty much anything in any common caliber that you wish. If the build starts to exceed $2k it's only because you are choosing to use higher end parts. Keep it in the $2k price range and you have a rifle that is every bit comparable to the M10X.

Plus with my "overpriced" receiver set I have no worries about future parts availability as the only proprietary part is the receiver. I can buy ar15 parts virtually anywhere.

The M10X is a completely proprietary firearm. There is no certainty that M&M will be around for me should I ever need support in the future. With the receiver sets I can support it myself as AR parts aren't ever going away.

Buy whatever we like. Justify it however we like. Doesn't make anybody's choice any more right than the other guy thinks he is. Just my .02
    Great answer - Thanks for your reasoned response. The sub-$2K NR AR makes equal sense if you prefer to plink with 5.56mm. It is more expensive than corrosive 7.62x39mm, but not too far off the climbing cost of the non-corrosive fodder. There are limitations to the 5.56mm where hunting is concerned in most provinces, but if that is not a concern then you have one less reason to go with the 7.62x33mm platform. It is all a matter of balancing perceived needs and wants in terms of calibre and platform. My collection is decidedly heavy on 5.56mm and .308 platforms, with a comparative dearth of 7.62x39mm in the stable. I have 11 ARs of various calibres, but if you take away my prohib Russian AKMS then all I have in 7.62x39mm are a VZ 58 and a Russian SKS. I am not interested in shooting the SKS and refuse to have a Type 81, so the M10X is very appealing to me as a modernized, modular, hybrid design in that particular calibre. It nicely fills a hole within my personal collection at a price-point that I can live with for what you get. That is all there is to it, and YMMV - as it evidently does. Nothing wrong with that, so thanks again for sharing your thought process.
    Last edited by Bartok5; 06-18-2018 at 07:46 AM.
    Mark C