Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 467891011121314151617181920212224 ... LastLast

Thread: M+M Industries M10x DMR - Non-Restricted 18.6” in 7.62x39mm Canada

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Gatehouse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartok5 View Post
    Great answer - Thanks for your reasoned response. The sub-$2K NR AR makes equal sense if you prefer to plink with 5.56mm. It is more expensive than corrosive 7.62x39mm, but not too far off the climbing cost of the non-corrosive fodder. There are limitations to the 5.56mm where hunting is concerned in most provinces, but if that is not a concern then you have one less reason to go with the 7.62x33mm platform. It is all a matter of balancing perceived needs and wants in terms of calibre and platform. My collection is decidedly heavy on 5.56mm and .308 platforms, with a comparative dearth of 7.62x39mm in the stable. I have 11 ARs of various calibres, but if you take away my prohib Russian AKMS then all I have in 7.62x39mm are a VZ 58 and a Russian SKS. I am not interested in shooting the SKS and refuse to have a Type 81, so the M10X is very appealing to me as a modernized, modular, hybrid design in that particular calibre. It nicely fills a hole within my personal collection at a price-point that I can live with for what you get. That is all there is to it, and YMMV - as it evidently does. Nothing wrong with that, so thanks again for sharing your thought process.

The nice thing about some of the NR receiver sets is that you aren’t limited to 5.56. You can build one in 7.62x39, too.
    375 Ruger is the NEW KING of the .375's. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Well I'm glad I passed on the Type 81 POS

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Can-down's Avatar
    Great answer - Thanks for your reasoned response. The sub-$2K NR AR makes equal sense if you prefer to plink with 5.56mm. It is more expensive than corrosive 7.62x39mm, but not too far off the climbing cost of the non-corrosive fodder. There are limitations to the 5.56mm where hunting is concerned in most provinces, but if that is not a concern then you have one less reason to go with the 7.62x33mm platform. It is all a matter of balancing perceived needs and wants in terms of calibre and platform. My collection is decidedly heavy on 5.56mm and .308 platforms, with a comparative dearth of 7.62x39mm in the stable. I have 11 ARs of various calibres, but if you take away my prohib Russian AKMS then all I have in 7.62x39mm are a VZ 58 and a Russian SKS. I am not interested in shooting the SKS and refuse to have a Type 81, so the M10X is very appealing to me as a modernized, modular, hybrid design in that particular calibre. It nicely fills a hole within my personal collection at a price-point that I can live with for what you get. That is all there is to it, and YMMV - as it evidently does. Nothing wrong with that, so thanks again for sharing your thought process.
    You really don't have to justify your purchase..... it's a cool gun and you can afford it.

The whole "why" thing is best left to the anti's...... and the answer can simply remain.... because I can.

Enjoy!
    Our Government trusts rivets more then law abiding gun owners.

Would like to see a comparison of all 7.62x39 guns.

Say iron sites only at 50m and 100m.

Guns to compair.
    Sks
    Cz858
    T81
    M305
    XCR
    M10X

I think it would be a interesting test for 7.62x39 shooters

CGN Ultra frequent flyer beltfed's Avatar
    I think that the M10X may come closer to singularly bridging the two distinct rifles that you referenced, than you think.
    Well, I didn't reference them, you did. I still think the M10x is as close to an AKM as night and day. Fit, feel, finish, shoot ability, and impulse are all going to be very different. After all the commonality is what, mags and ammo - Is there more? When it all boils off, these days reasoning for a new gun for me can be as simple as 'fun new blaster', so please don't read into me railing against it, or calling you out on your comparison.

YMM (obviously) differ.
    I don't have skin in this M10x game and am definately one with the fence on this one. I'm waiting for some more reports from north of the 49th and hopefully get my grubby mitts on one before/if I dive in.

As regards the Type 81, my reason for not owning one is simple - I once owned a Norinco Type 56S-2 (or some such nomenclature). It was such a poorly-executed specimen of a side-folder AK that my disappointment was manifest. Having already sampled Norinco "service rifle" quality (or the horrific lack thereof), I had a sneaking suspicion that the T81 would be more of the same. And at the end of the day? I wasn't wrong, not by a long-shot. Say what you want in its defence, but the T81 is a sloppily-executed design that shows its obsolescence in a complete lack of modularity, poor ergonomics (including difficult to use iron sights) and an inability to mount optics. I could go on, but you get the idea. I hated the Norinco Type 56S, and knew intuitively that I would similarly despise the Type 81 for its razor-sharp metal edges, rust-prone salt-bluing and hit-or-miss quality control. As it turns out the T81 was worse than even I had anticipated, with bent Receivers, poor buttstock to Receiver alignment/fitment, and so on. Is it a disposable $1000 bullet hose that works if assembled in correct alignment? Sure is, but such a firearm has no place alongside the other firearms in my collection. Not even as an example of "how not to build a gun"! Call me a "gun snob", I could care less. The T81 is a POS as far as I am concerned and I refuse to spend my hard-earned money on a firearm that I have zero interest in owning. Hopefully that answers your question to your satisfaction. ��
    Thanks for the response.
    Quality of the Type 81 is typical of Norinco/Chinese military guns - certainly no suprise there. However, my Type 82 (5.56 chambered type 56) was of acceptable build quality comparable to most Warsaw stuff and was as reliable/robust. Design cues are typical for a late 70s Sino-Soviet service rifle. It represents the Chinese attempt of growth away from and out from under the proverbial wing of Soviet communism - even if it achieved not one iota of improvement on the rifles it was meant to replace. It maybe a footnote in the evolution of modern service rifles, but still one with some historical significance none the same. I figured one would occupy a spot in the collection, even if grudgingly so, and the reason for my genuine curiosity on your stance on it.
    Personally, I think the bad rap the T-81 has received thus far is overblown as is CGN fashion.
    They offer about the closest example of a shootable AK copy we Canadians can now legally enjoy - IMHO.
    Life Member CCFR and CSSA
    Posts made by the pseudonym "Beltfed" may not accurately reflect the beliefs and opinions of the Registered User.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Can-down's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheezz View Post
    Would like to see a comparison of all 7.62x39 guns.

Say iron sites only at 50m and 100m.

Guns to compair.
    Sks
    Cz858
    T81
    M305
    XCR
    M10X

I think it would be a interesting test for 7.62x39 shooters
    I think Ganderite did a pretty good test a while back but not with all the guns you list.
    In other news Reliable is blowing out M305's in 7.62X39 for less then $500.
    Our Government trusts rivets more then law abiding gun owners.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    The nice thing about some of the NR receiver sets is that you aren’t limited to 5.56. You can build one in 7.62x39, too.
    Or 6.5 grendel. That's a more interesting cartridge than either of the plinkers if you want to hunt imho.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Gatehouse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VinnyQC View Post
    Or 6.5 grendel. That's a more interesting cartridge than either of the plinkers if you want to hunt imho.
    That’s why I’m building mine in 6.5 Grendel.
    375 Ruger is the NEW KING of the .375's. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Fyi Urban Tactical in Brantford has a M10X if anyone is looking.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Chumlee Bumsnag's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Can-down View Post
    I think Ganderite did a pretty good test a while back but not with all the guns you list.
    In other news Reliable is blowing out M305's in 7.62X39 for less then $500.
    Oooh! That hurts.