Page 23 of 45 FirstFirst ... 31315161718192021222324252627282930313343 ... LastLast

Thread: Canadian made "black" rifle

Well when you put it that way
    "What I am worried about is repeated hits to that area with .308 ammunition.
    I have a high-risk security job and I fear that I would be the target
    for repeated long-distance shots to my back."
    -gecko45

Quote Originally Posted by 870P View Post
    Sounds good, however I don't think any AK stocks are bolt-on, no cheap mass produced ones at any rate.
    Not sure what you mean? Admittedly I don't have much hands on time with AK builds.. but looks like most stocks are secured to the receiver with 2 screws?

Seems like a 180 receiver could be modified to fit the AK stocks, where there's a huge after-market supply already, and plenty of folder options which suit the 180 perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by technomad View Post
    agreed, it could. that's why many are referring to an improved 180

if we're looking for a cheap/easy/quick win, then the already NR 180 is a good base to work from. definitely need to get a stronger lower receiver if it's to be the base of a modular platform, and making it compatible with as many AR/AK parts as possible keeps costs down, and makes owner customization easy. here's a quick rundown of how I figured the 'DA180C' platform could evolve. (wouldn't expect all of this to be released at once..)

1. DA180C: NATO Edition. Milled aluminum AR180B lower with ambi controls and basic AK stock. 5.56 upper with irons, a pic rail and classic synthetic handguard
    2. DA180C: NATO Deluxe. Same as above, but with a magpul zhukov folding stock, and a handguard with MLOK slots. Choice of BLK/FDE/ODG furniture
    3. DA180C: Hunter Edition. Wood furniture for the woods! Lose the irons, add a higher quality barrel, and offer the upper in x39 as well as 5.56
    4. DA180C: Warsaw Edition. Keep the wood, bring back irons but go for a cheaper barrel. New lower variant that takes AK mags. (likely FRT delay) Uppers in 5.45 and 7.62 x39
    5. DA180C: SuckIt10X Edition. Pick either NATO or Warsaw lower, Adjustable gas IUR with AR15 barrel/bolt compatibility for maximum after-market customization

Likely impossible to make everybody happy.. but I figure the above is modular enough, with enough flexibility and variety to satisfy a good portion of the market
    Midnight brainfart edit:

6. DA180C: Skorpion Edition. Warsaw lower, pistol version with no butt stock. 7" x39 upper. leads to 10 rd pistol mags? :D

CGN Ultra frequent flyer TreMoR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CanAm View Post
    I much prefer the 180 gas system. Very simple and reliable.
    that' s what we look for
    « When injustice becomes law, resistance is a duty » - « Quand l'injustice devient loi, la résistance est un devoir » by : Thomas Jefferson.

Good ideas here.
    I suggest a reversible ejection port, like ARAK21 or Tavor.
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    - George Mason

CGN Regular
    I say swappable uppers. Quick change systems add failure points, inaccuracy, expense(R&D), and have been problematic. Also not really much cheaper given what we’ve seen from thE XCR.

Design the rifle using the AR-10 bolt head dimension and then just open up the bolt face to use rounds up to 30 remAR and 450 bushy. One bolt to manufacture. One barrel extension/trunnion.

Magpul furniture
    Quotation is a serviceable substitute for wit.

~Oscar Wilde~

XCR prices in Canada are inflated, and at hella retarded prices now. Options and competition brings down pricing to reasonable levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCAM View Post
    I say swappable uppers. Quick change systems add failure points, inaccuracy, expense(R&D), and have been problematic. Also not really much cheaper given what we’ve seen from thE XCR.

Design the rifle using the AR-10 bolt head dimension and then just open up the bolt face to use rounds up to 30 remAR and 450 bushy. One bolt to manufacture. One barrel extension/trunnion.

Magpul furniture
    Travis Kay
    Proverbs 4:27
    http://www.traviskay.ca [laughably dated]
    http://linkedin.com/in/kaytravis

Not sure what you mean? Admittedly I don't have much hands on time with AK builds.. but looks like most stocks are secured to the receiver with 2 screws?

Seems like a 180 receiver could be modified to fit the AK stocks, where there's a huge after-market supply already, and plenty of folder options which suit the 180 perfectly.
    Many AKs components aren't readily interchangeable, as the design is not really standardized between makes and models. You could get a particular pattern's' stocks to fit seamlessly, but not all of them.

The Zhukov stock is nice but it costs a lot more than a basic milsurp AK item.
    Canada is done, save the West.

CGN Regular
    Midnight brainfart edit:

6. DA180C: Skorpion Edition. Warsaw lower, pistol version with no butt stock. 7" x39 upper. leads to 10 rd pistol mags? :D
    It doesn't work that way, unfortunately, and we already have 10 round STANAG pattern pistol mags for 5.56 and 7.62, so that base is already covered.

Although we could go with a poly lower and milled aluminum upper, it might be simpler to just go with aluminum upper and lower, as the cost difference probably isn't so great when one factors in the fudge factor of getting a really GOOD polymer lower done with metal reinforcements in all the right places.

.223/5.56!!