Page 15 of 45 FirstFirst ... 578910111213141516171819202122232535 ... LastLast

Thread: Canadian made "black" rifle

I totally support this and can believe it can happen, I brought this up with Cadex a while ago but they are busy as hell. We can design a canadian rifle

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by mileageman View Post
    LOL. I highly doubt this would happen. Since ATRS has / had ongoing litigation against NEA. But that is a whole other debacle that rivals this M&M fiasco.
    due go on, sounds like juicy gossip that I totally need to hear LOL

I believe if a manufacturer went to the the RCMP first and said hey whats kosher with you guys, they might save a lot of hassle. It has to have a left or right charging handle.

Going by what I have read a lower that takes AK mags is what we want and have maybe a AR upper? Or does that still cause RCMP issues? Or make a RCMP friendly Galil ?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Travis Bickle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunchild2071 View Post
    20 rifles in 6 months? (Current run seems to be about 600)

Near $2K? I guess that depends on what your definition of near, is. (I figure $1836.45, all in)

Are you talking about the 102? Or something else?
    Aye the 102.
    $1840 is close enough to $2K to be "near $2K" for me.

Anyhow, it's clearly not a proven product yet. It has quality control issues, very tight chambers leading to proven reliability issues, rifle to rifle inconsistency, rifle to rifle accuracy results.
    There are other design flaws which turn me off it but they are personal opinions so I'll spare repeating myself.
    I know the party line in Canada is to never critique a new NR that was hyped up to be the second coming of Christ answer to our prayers yadda yadda lol I like to call a spade a spade and I don't like the taste of kool-aide....
    Last edited by Travis Bickle; 10-27-2017 at 11:32 PM.
    Guns only have two natural enemies; politicians and rust.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    Aye the 102.
    $1840 is close enough to $2K to be "near $2K" for me.

Anyhow, it's clearly not a proven product yet. It has quality control issues, very tight chambers leading to proven reliability issues, rifle to rifle inconsistency, rifle to rifle accuracy results.
    There are other design flaws which turn me off it but they are personal opinions so I'll spare repeating myself.
    I know the party line in Canada is to never critique a new NR that was hyped up to be the second coming of Christ answer to our prayers yadda yadda lol I like to call a spade a spade.
    I have one... and I agree with every word you said.
    gotta spend money trying to make it work out of the box. very cool and fits the niche but reliability for me is #1... number #2 of course is the "match grade 9 pound barrel"
    hardly any match results worth posting. imo the barrel is the biggest turd on the rifle.

GunNutz
    Call this thread TL:DR, well mostly skimmed.

It may be sheer vanity, but I want something that is as close to an AK as I can get, and without having Valmet money, here I am!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottawa View Post
    I believe if a manufacturer went to the the RCMP first and said hey whats kosher with you guys, they might save a lot of hassle. It has to have a left or right charging handle.
    No, that's not how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottawa View Post
    Going by what I have read a lower that takes AK mags is what we want and have maybe a AR upper? Or does that still cause RCMP issues? Or make a RCMP friendly Galil ?
    Doesn't matter what people want. If the lab says it's an AK, then it's prohib, period. If the lab says it's an AR15, then it's restricted, period.

In general, if it can mate with an AR15 lower, then it's an AR15 lower, and if it can mate with an AR15 upper, then it's an AR15 lower. The definition of "can mate" is the only fungible area. Our common, reasonnable definitio of "can mate" is "when installed it'll shoot the caliber", but the rcmp definition is "if it doesn't take more than 2 days of work with specialized equipment to modify and can be installed and then shoot the calibre".

Anyway, AR180b ftw. Currently that's the way to a commercial success.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Travis Bickle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by s3xspert11 View Post
    I have one... and I agree with every word you said.
    gotta spend money trying to make it work out of the box. very cool and fits the niche but reliability for me is #1... number #2 of course is the "match grade 9 pound barrel"
    hardly any match results worth posting. imo the barrel is the biggest turd on the rifle.
    Bingo. All weight, pointless extra material/cost and no delivery for it. That is my personal opinion of the design flaw.
    Your #1 is my main issue with it as well currently.
    Guns only have two natural enemies; politicians and rust.

A few random thoughts here...

First and foremost, this is just me thinking out loud, and trying to light a fire under CanAm.
    I absolutely do not work for or speak for CanadaAmmo. Yet...
    So I am most certainly not discussing funding.

What started as a note to Chris (probably could have made it a PM...) has morphed into an exchange of ideas, which is great.
    But the cartoon of the Homer-mobile has a lot of truth to it.
    It is easy to let a project get out of hand.
    As I see it, the simpler, the batter.
    Certainly sooner, and cheaper.

There are several ways to produce a receiver, some practical, some not so much.
    --Old school forgings like old bolt actions are very expensive to set up. So a deal breaker.
    --Stampings are also very expensive to set up, but cheap to hammer out large numbers. Not viable for this project.
    --Machined aluminum receivers are more expensive than stampings in large numbers, but FAR cheaper in small numbers.
    --Extruded receivers combined with machining like the MagPul Masada / Bushmaster ACR could be the best option.

I mentioned using a standard AR-15 barrel with a beefier barrel extension, as the AR-15 spec design is prone to cracking when using a larger case.
    https://www.google.ca/search?q=ar-15...w=1252&bih=604
    A beefier bolt head and matching barrel extension means that cartridges up to .450 Bushmaster could be used.

It also eliminates the issue that Condomboy raised.
    Quote Originally Posted by condomboy View Post
    That just leaves it open to a guy throwing a 7.5" AR barrel on it and now it's restricted, technically prohib, so they would have to be complete guns if you're going to use AR barrels etc
    Regarding various cartridge choices, and families of cartridges, I have pondered using different magwell adapters and such.
    (In fact, that is why I have followed the DT-MDR so closely, as I had considered a similar idea years ago, but did nothing with...)
    However, in reality, I would rather keep it simple and see it happen, rather than dream about the "perfect" gun never built.

As far as a new 180B, that could be viable, if it was done well.
    I have long thought that the AR-180B is a clever design done very poorly.
    To be blunt, the common version is a pile of poo. (I have heard the Sterling version (Made in England many years ago) was quite good.)
    If we could get any gun without restrictive laws, it would be a $500 gun at the most.
    And yet, it has some clever features.
    If it was re-designed from the ground up, it could be a winner.