Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My 2nd Son has his R/PAL... so I celebrated by doing this....

Very inspiring Barney. You are a tough act to follow

I have three sons, so I had better get busy!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer bfiles's Avatar
    Very cool to see!!!!!

Hopefully I can do the same for my kid one day!!!
    CSSA CCFR PROUD MEMBER
    "Sleep in bliss Pops"!!!!!!

Nice rig! I'm sure your son will be pleased. My son shows more and more interest in shooting as he gets older. I hope to do the same for him one day.
    It's not the fall that kills you - it's the sudden stop at the bottom!
    "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step." - Lao Tzu
    New member of CCFR

What a great dad!! Nice rifle too!
    Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome - Gunnery Sgt. Tom Highway

This is what it's all about, the next generation! Hat's off to you Barney.
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

Business Member
    I am humbled by all your kind words. Thanks very much for said great intentions.

I was lucky to have parents that left me SIX other siblings. There was not much $$ left in the budget for any extras like organized sports and travelling together as a family (bonding). My mom was super practical... she suggested activities that did not cost so much and I found the "Pitch and Putt" 18 hole Par3 golf course at Queen Elizabeth Park in Vancouver close to our house in Oakridge (49th and Cambie... for you Hongcouver readers). A round of 18 holes back in 1971 ran me $1.80. I got great with a 7 iron and putter. Being a deviant 13 year old, we finished off at the 17th hole and then cut over to the 2nd or 3rd hole when nobody was looking.

Then we I got to High School I met up with like minded friends and we golfed at "Night When the price is right..." and that would be the holes right next to Cambie Street where / when we could egress when Security showed up. We only used a 7 iron and putted with the back side, like Happy Gilmore.

Golf lovers here on CGN: Swing that 7 iron like a pitching wedge tempo, even in low light, tee your ball up. It always went about 135 yards and ALWAYS sat in the middle of the fairway. Ah the joys of youth well spent.

Then my mom got me started in ski lessons at Grouse's Headway program... Graduated Length Method of skiing. It sure was fun and I was hooked. A ski pass set my folks back about $100 back in the day. We would bus from 49th and Cambie down to Georgian and Granville, then transfer to the North Shore bus to 15th and Lonsdale in North Van, and then transfer to the 89 Queens bus from North Van to Grouse Mountain. All on a Student Card and 35 cents bus fare.

It gets better. When I was 16 years old and had a drivers license, we could buy a .22 Cooey Model 60 Bolt gun, tube fed from Woodwards Dept Store in Oakidge, 41St and Cambie. Then hop the 15 Cambie bus to downtown Van where we would transfer to the East Hastings bus, and then catch another bus to Burke Mountain range to shoot our .22 rigs. Who needed a license? There were NO FACs and PALs back in the day... No mass shootings either... Again... $ 0.35 and a student card got me across town to the range. Try taking public transit and "Being Green" with a soft cased rifle. yuk yuk yuk

Hey, I even know Toronto clients who take their restricted in backpacks or Pelican Cases heading to the indoor .22 range at Hart House, University of Tolonto (sic) back when it was open....

On BC Hydro buses with cased firearms.... nobody was alarmed. Hey, trigger locks had NOT been invented YET....

My point of these stories becomes: Count what you do have, don't count what you don't have... and that's by my childhood idol, Bruce Lee in his book, "The Tao of Jeet Kune Do"

I've raised my boys who were surrounded by very affluent / rich/over privileged/ entitled skiers/mountain bikers/snowboarders/vacationers to focus and hoard virtues (that don't cost money). Virtues like a work ethic , that money cannot buy! Virtues that girls love like F - U - C - K; forgiveness, unconditional love, compassion and kindness.

Between my parents and 2 Commando of the Canadian Airborne Regiment, I ended up okay (I think...)

Celebrate your great kids.... high five them every day. Buy them ice cream for no apparent reason, and remind them daily that their role is to keep you from going crazy at your workplace. It worked well for my boys!

Cheers and have a super day....

Barney

Barney: as always inspired I am. And man, what a cool present that is!

Business Member
    A few months have passed and a couple of changes have been made. My son(s) has / have surrounded themselves with great friends , just like the old man, I guess. One of them with a PAL saw this post and asked me to source a Remmy...he liked this write up and the pictures of this featured rig that he bought it from me without the scope.

So now that I needed to send a Remmy 700 in 308 to my son, I merely screwed on a 308 barrel and checked the headspace... this was my current hunter that I carried for deer in a 260 rendition. I just swapped barrels and now my son has MY receiver and stock with Magpul SA magazine adapter interface.... Have a look:

I sourced a hard case and included all kinds of needed maintenance kit he is likely gonna need in the Pemberton area. I’m so grateful that my son has resourceful helpers like Bongobob and Rugbydave nearby....

Here’s a closer view of the kit as I was packing his rig before the Xmas break....bore guide, bore cleaners, CLP, Oh Shzt kit, etc

I even sourced out a generic adjustable cheek piece riser since he’s a lefty, but learned to golf and shoot right also....

Yes that’s the Leupold VariX3 B&C reticle with 50mm objective....there’s a motive here.... when I visit out west, I want to shoot with him also using good gear

So this is the final result of this saga or adventure....it just took me a few months and some time to piece it all together. He has the hard case at his home.....no to crank out some handloads for him to play in local gravel pits......

Celebrate your own kids... pizza and ice cream is cheap for the rewards you are gonna get!!

Cheers, Barney

Business Member
    Christmas is coming and so this is what he is getting...it’s also for his sweetheart fiancée to shoot just north of Whistler....

Okay pictures coming up tonight. Gotta clean the kitchen!
    I’m back. This is how it looks before mailing out tomorrow!!

Name:  CE9BA094-91ED-4492-B60E-206436F6313B.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  60.5 KB

Other view;

Name:  EB656D8B-B5ED-4989-9DFB-42188BA01CB6.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  61.7 KB

And I did sight this baby in at my gun club!! So when he gets the rig, he and his fiancée will be able to grab and go shoot!

Name:  AA9B452C-4A12-4E05-BD90-1A36DF1E254C.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  52.7 KB

So for you CGNutz with kids, celebrate every one of those champions and remind them they are great kids! I can’t leave them all kinds of money or jewelry, but I CAN leave them decent shooting rigs!

Cheers, Barney
    Last edited by TacticalTeacher; 11-01-2018 at 10:57 PM.

Nice job. Your kid's lucky to have a cool dad....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast