Thread: VPN Access?

CGN frequent flyer

VPN Access?

...it's been a while since i joined and can't find information on this...can members access CGN through a VPN?

thanks

Not sure of your question.
    VPN is just a connection protocol. The forum is browser based so any browser can access it however it gets there.
    Are you looking for some kind of secure connection or want to hide from your provider or employer?
    I run a personal VPN through a corporate firewall to access CGN without the access scanners logging what I do, but many corps disallow 3rd party VPN's through their firewalls for this very reason.

Does that help?
    I like to think I know enough to know when I don’t know enough….

Consult the "Forum Rules and FAQ" above the ad banners.

"Using anonymizer proxy to access CGN is not allowed. Account could be suspended immediately if the user uses anonymizer proxy to access CGN."

Is a VPN the same as an anonymizer?

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by B View Post

"Using anonymizer proxy to access CGN is not allowed. Account could be suspended immediately if the user uses anonymizer proxy to access CGN."

...that's what i was looking for but could not find...stuck somewhere in the back of my mind tho...thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by B View Post

Yes and no…
    An anonymizer is a service that’s intended to anonymize or hide your location. That is what people used to use to get US Netflix in Canada. You route your internet traffic through an anonymizing proxy server in the US and it looks to Netflix like you’re in the US…(they’ve stopped allowing this BTW).

A VPN is a point-to-point encryption protocol. In my example, I create a VPN tunnel to a host and browse the internet from that host. That way all the traffic from my computer to the VPN host is encrypted so my ISP or corporate firewall cannot see what I’m doing. It also provides privacy when using open wireless hotspots which can very often be honeypots.

That being said, any webpage etc I access can only trace my behaviour back as far as the VPN host, (because the traffic is encrypted from the host back to my machine). Now, I can also connect to VPN hosts from around the world as part of my service subscription. So I could be in Ottawa but browse CGN and appear to be in Eastern Europe, USA, pretty much anywhere, which is also an anonymizing technique…

So technically, connecting through a VPN should not break the rules unless you use a host that’s in a far off place. That’s my take on it anyway…..
    I like to think I know enough to know when I don’t know enough….

CGN Ultra frequent flyer StoneHorse's Avatar
    Opera web browser has a built in VPN that is free and optional to use.
    Defund the Liberal propaganda ministry, AKA the CBC.
    Democracy is not a spectator sport.

The rules say that "Using an anonymizer proxy server to access CGN is prohibited. Your account can be immediately suspended if you use an anonymizer proxy server to access the CGN" I think that the use of Vpn is an anonymizer. If you want to hide your identity so much, use windows vps . It's not forbidden in any forum. It's not an anonymizer, but it allows you to be protected on different platforms. VPN changes your IP address and enables you to access blocked resources. The technology encrypts the traffic that passes between you and the site you are visiting.
    Last edited by morisson; 10-24-2021 at 08:21 AM.

I was told by ann admin. That I can't join the exchange because I use a vpn. While I can understand the underlying reasons for it, I must say with all due respect that this shows a non understanding of the technology. If I am in the usa or other country I could use a vpn plus other tools on top of that to funge my ip as if I was in Canada..... so while the intention is honest, the truth is, it is false security.