Baofeng radio-stock update

I use the BF-F8HP & UV-82HP for work. I didn't notice any huge improvement over the previous 5watt models.
The channel scan is also noticeably slower on the F8HP vs the 5R.

I use the BF-F8HP & UV-82HP for work. I didn't notice any huge improvement over the previous 5watt models.
The channel scan is also noticeably slower on the F8HP vs the 5R.

I have tested the uv5r and the bffp+ and they both put out an honest 4 Watts when properly matched to my diamond x30 antenna. The hp series tested out at just over 6 Watts output on high range. It is important to use a good antenna for HT radios. One of the better ones available is the Nagoya 771. I am able to hit a 2m repeater 35 km away with the 5r. Two things to be aware of...keep the antenna as far away from your body as possible when transmitting...use a remote mike so you are not pounding your brain with radio waves. And if you do buy an aftermarket antenna like the 771...purchase it from a reputable dealer. There are lots of fakes out there that perform worse than the original rubber duck that came with the radio.

Are the Nagoya antennas you guys carry straight from Nagoya? I'm just worried because I have heard so many stories about knock off antennas that are worse than the rubber ducky ones that come with them.

Are the Nagoya antennas you guys carry straight from Nagoya? I'm just worried because I have heard so many stories about knock off antennas that are worse than the rubber ducky ones that come with them.

Totally true. I was a victim of a fake antenna purchase. I bought what was sold as a genuine Nagoya 771, and it wouldn’t even open a repeater that was 6km away. I searched out fake Nagoya antennas, and verified that I had a fake. One of the club members had a link to someone who who was selling real ones on amazon...and the comparison was unreal. The SWR on the fake antenna was measured out to around 7:1 on 2 Metres, whereas the real one was 1.3:1. It was a wonder that I didn’t damage my radio with the fake one.

I used 2 Beofangs for hunting this year. I had a buddy program the codes. Google frequency channel's... for the equivalent of commercial channel 1 to 12. The radio worked at range with clear sound (farthest call was about 2-3km). Rarely the odd amt of clipping could be heard but I think it was my buddies walking with their radios on. These radios were small and easy to keep in my pack plus the charge was excellent left one off the charger all week and used it no problem.
Now the bad
-the band button on the side switching it to radio mode is too easy to push
-also the flashing light is similarly easily engaged
- I somehow turned on a horrendous siren one day when turning it on in the tree stand...not sure how.
- switching to Chinese mode complicated programming the radio when done accidentally and you only know English.
- buy 2 radios that way whatever you do can be undone by using the other as an example.

This advice may be redundant for regular radio users but my only previous walkie talkie were made by Fisher Price. There's more functions and abilities built into these radios than I understand.

Last edited:
A whole new world would open up when one has Ham Radio Licence and these radios (and others including high power mobile units, base stations, even long distance communication)... I would encourage everybody to get licenced...

I used 2 Beofangs for hunting this year. I had a buddy program the codes. Google frequency channel's... for the equivalent of commercial channel 1 to 12. The radio worked at range with clear sound (farthest call was about 2-3km). Rarely the odd amt of clipping could be heard but I think it was my buddies walking with their radios on. These radios were small and easy to keep in my pack plus the charge was excellent left one off the charger all week and used it no problem.
Now the bad
- I somehow turned on a horrendous siren one day when turning it on in the tree stand...not sure how.
- switching to Chinese mode complicated programming the radio when done accidentally and you only know English.
- buy 2 radios that way whatever you do can be undone by using the other as an example.

This advice may be redundant for regular radio users but my only previous walkie talkie were made by Fisher Price. There's more functions and abilities built into these radios than I understand.

you can lock the keypad, then you don't have those problems. add a 771 antenna and a good hand held mike and they work even better

My uv5r were nice and clear for almost 3 miles. I bought (I assume fake) antennas from china. Didn't try them with the factory ones. Only problem was I could hear the other guys on the FMR? Channels (the cobra or whatever hand helds from Canadian Tire) but couldn't talk to them.

i used 2 beofangs for hunting this year. I had a buddy program the codes. Google frequency channel's... For the equivalent of commercial channel 1 to 12. The radio worked at range with clear sound (farthest call was about 2-3km). Rarely the odd amt of clipping could be heard but i think it was my buddies walking with their radios on. These radios were small and easy to keep in my pack plus the charge was excellent left one off the charger all week and used it no problem.
Now the bad
- i somehow turned on a horrendous siren one day when turning it on in the tree stand...not sure how.
- switching to chinese mode complicated programming the radio when done accidentally and you only know english.

This advice may be redundant for regular radio users but my only previous walkie talkie were made by fisher price. There's more functions and abilities built into these radios than i understand.

rtfm

Back
Top Bottom