Thread: Norinco SIG P226 Clone in 22LR Possible?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer sixty9santa's Avatar

Norinco SIG P226 Clone in 22LR Possible?

Would it be possible for Norinco or Dominion to manufactured a SIG P226 clone in dedicated .22LR?
    An all steel .22lr 1911 would be nice as well.
    Last edited by sixty9santa; 11-13-2019 at 02:14 PM.
    "Genius begins great works, but labor alone finishes them." Joseph Joubert

To all with TDS: Trump for Prime Minister!!!

It will still be a 600$ gun just like the real sig.

Their dollar is strong, our rubles is well ya. Nothing from Norinco or china is cheap anymore,those days are gone. Canada is the new china.
    Save Hong Kong!

CGN frequent flyer
    There are several reasons why very few companies makes a dedicated .22lr pistol that is all steel.

1. Cost
    2. Engineering

1. Cost. Steel is expensive, most people buying .22lr pistols want them to be cheap otherwise they would just buy the 9mm version.

2. Engineering. Steel is heavy, and .22lr doesn't have enough energy from blowback to move a full steel slide from a full sized pistol. The Browning 1911-22 gets around it by being 85% smaller than the original, the CZ 75 kadet kit has just a tiny portion of the slide actual recoil backwards. Otherwise most .22lr pistols use a lighter zamak alloy for the slide, or have just a small portion of the slide move or use a strong polymer. There really is no way to have a full steel slide and .22lr go together.

Otherwise GSG makes the GSG firefly which is very SIG P226esque pistol in .22lr.

Or like the gsg 1911. U sneeze at it and puts a dent on top of the slide.

Regardless, chillrabbit is right. Its a fine balance between light weight and strength
    Save Hong Kong!

Cant a sig .22 upper work on a norinco lower? Those sell for only $3-400 here on the ee. Or a sig mosquito sells for the same.. and is a real sig

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by $kull View Post
    Cant a sig .22 upper work on a norinco lower? Those sell for only $3-400 here on the ee. Or a sig mosquito sells for the same.. and is a real sig
    I've read somewhere that people have tried; and they require fitting; and more than a file stroke here or there. Sig 226 conversion kit is $450.00 everywhere; buy a used .22 for about the same money.

I had a GSG conversion kit I bought slightly used for my 1911; it required some fitting, and shot way less accurate than the pistol in .45; had to use mini-mags or it would jam. I promptly sold it again, but now I know. What is the point with practicing with a .22 conversion that is less accurate than the pistol in .45; not to mention the farting around to change over and back... and you have to keep track of all of the parts when you are not using it.

I have fit the Sig 22 top end to my NP22. I used a mill to break the bottom corners on the barrel block from 90 degrees to 45 degrees. It can be done with a file or rotary tool, no need for a milling machine. It fits like a glove, works flawlessly, and I have run thousands of rounds through it. It has become my favourite 22 pistol.
    Last edited by IRC; 11-18-2019 at 12:15 AM.