Page 11 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192131 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Varmint style uppers and lowers

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brian46's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xdmer View Post
    XCR's have specific pistol designs, registered as such I think, or more specifically XCR-L Micro. Rifle / Restricted Rifle would depend on barrel, but they only come in 18.6 in Canada and I've never seen the micro / pistol barrels or uppers for sale here.

The design, intention and components are clearly restricted and non restricted.
    There is restricted xcr's just like ACR's the owners simply had a new short barrel made and sent in the paperwork to the cfc for the status change to restricted.

The caveat being you are instructed not to use the rifle (it remains in safe) until the paperwork has been processed by the cfc. Just because you have 30 days to report a status change does not make it legal to use in that period of time after the modifications were performed requiring the status change
    If it's either loud, obnoxious, fast, hated by the general population or any combination of these, I OWN IT!!

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian46 View Post
    Who here has suggested doing this except yourself?
    Read the threads on the other guys upper and lower. It is suggested several times.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Brianma65 View Post
    And how much you wanna bet,
    When the SHTF, most people are going to look for a way out.

I can see some of them saying,

But officer,that's the way it came in the mail..lol
    I see this daily in my line of work. People are always more than happy to serve up anyone on a platter in the hopes of getting away with something they in most cases committed.

Wow... off the internet for a couple days and look what you miss! This sounds great! Not that my opinion matters much but 70 series for sure, no forward assist, and either bolted on or milled brass deflector (with higher material costs) would be just fine by me! Can't wait to get my hands on a set or two!

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by alberta tactical rifle View Post
    The MH and MV were only ever sold as completed and test rifles. Every one of which left here with minimally an 18.6" barrel. Any secondary uppers also were supplied with NR length barrels, so there is no room for anyone to claim that either platform has a restricted cousin of any sort. now with that being said we have no control over someone breaking the law and shortening the barrel effectively making the rifle a prohibited device, or changing the barrel to make it a restricted firearm. But as the manufacturer I am able to look any Judge in the eye and claim that we have never offered or made a restricted length barrel for either rifle, so if some idiot has installed 1 he had to modify the upper in the case of the MV or had a custom barrel made somewhere that employs the proprietary barrel extension. This was done to protect the legal status and the owners of our rifles.

We certainly are not suggesting to anyone however to purchase what we hope will be classified as a NR firearm and then play games with the government when you install an under 18.6" barrel. The law is pretty clear that you have 30 days to inform the CFC that you have completed assembly of a firearm and that the FRT# has to amended to reflect the change from "receiver only" to completed firearm once the firearm is complete and has a barrel installed. To counsel someone to pull the upper off every 29 days in the case of under 18.6" barrels in order to skirt having to register the gun as a restricted firearm in my opinion is simply trolling for a hassle, for ALL of us.

With Ars all being restricted this does not really matter, but purposefully trying to blur the lines between Non Restricted and Restricted with games could backfire badly.
    Needless to say if we get the NR classification we are hoping for, we will not have any say in what folks do with their stripped upper/lowers. The onus then is on them to comply, or not to comply with the laws, it is out of our hands. IF short barrels are installed onto any of these platforms it will create some FRT#s that reflect restricted legal status.
    We tried as much as possible to protect the legal classification of our MH and MV making it as hard as possible to simply swap out barrels to create a restricted firearms class.
    We can only do so much however to try and protect the many from the few who just have to screw with things and create potential unintended consequences like the Swiss Arms debacle that effected many firearms owners.

My fear is that our development will be in vain in short order due to guys just having to push the envelope to the max. The current mag capacity and fitment issue is proof of what happens when guys just can't shut up or leave things alone.

Maccabee got a NR legal status on their project and good on them. But do you really think the SFSS/RCMP would have granted it if they had diclosed that you should install a short barrel and play games with the CFC every 29 days?
    I too worry about this. Mabey use the MV barrel extension and only sell uppers with barrels installed? not 100% customization put there is still plenty of other things to do to your build. I personally would pay that extra cash to ensure my rifle doesn't become restricted one day because "that guy" had to have 4 inches less of barrel.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer jiffx2781's Avatar
    Last edited by jiffx2781; 05-17-2020 at 09:10 PM.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by mgroom View Post
    Was it suggested by Macdef themselves or was it cgn users? If the former, then there's clearly a problem and ATRS has a valid concern and Macdef are complete idiots. If it was the latter, this amounts to nothing more than mud slinging and bad mouthing the competition and deliberately trying to mislead people in an attempt to discredit a competitor who got a product to market first.
    It was mentioned a few times in another thread in another dealers forum. Looking for it now a large number of posts have been edited and many posts removed, I can't find the posts that were suggesting this. When I saw those posts it seemed to me someone was advocating playing games as a sales gimmick.

In the CSC forum the thread started by fenceline around post #80 in large font, the upper and lower are clearly called prototypes, which leads me to believe they are only marginally further along in development than what ATRS is. Only time will tell which if any product actually gets to market first.
    With both companies in the same city, I wonder why there was no collaboration? Seems to me a co-operative effort may have proven productive for all parties.

To comment on page 8, the reason it has such a small shell deflector is because the body is wider and they didnt want it to stick out so much. There is one there though.
    I imagine an atrs body could be required to be wider also and may face the same challenges. Hopefully not though.
    Perhaps a removable one? A little nub that can get covered with a bigger nub if the user doesnt mind that sticking out? Just an idea..
    That assumes the secret to NR involves a similar dimensional change as the other project.

A forward assist is useless. I doubt anybody who suggested it has ever even needed it.

Use your thumb, like Stoner said, if you ever get into 2000 round, full auto gunfight in the desert.
    Last edited by $kull; 11-22-2017 at 12:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by no-one special View Post
    It was mentioned a few times in another thread in another dealers forum. Looking for it now a large number of posts have been edited and many posts removed, I can't find the posts that were suggesting this. When I saw those posts it seemed to me someone was advocating playing games as a sales gimmick.

In the CSC forum the thread started by fenceline around post #80 in large font, the upper and lower are clearly called prototypes, which leads me to believe they are only marginally further along in development than what ATRS is. Only time will tell which if any product actually gets to market first.
    With both companies in the same city, I wonder why there was no collaboration? Seems to me a co-operative effort may have proven productive for all parties.
    I think the unpredictable factor is the RCMP. Who knows how long and if they'll give a nr frt

Quote Originally Posted by jiffx2781 View Post
    Raw materials cost is one of the lesser costs in the big picture of producing the finished product. It is definitely worth the few bucks more to go with 7075. I'll pick quality any day. It's not worth cutting corners to save a few pesos.
    Just my .02
    Quote Originally Posted by onetwentyish View Post
    This. Unless your material choice will save the consumer 25%+ on just the reciever set, its not worth the consideration in my opinion.
    This is how it starts, isn't it?

"oh choose the better material, it's only 60$ more"

"oh make it work with X not just Y, it only costs Z$ more"

"oh add this feature, it's going to need that anyways, might as well"

All those little things add up. If you always choose the "oh it's just 50$ more for the better quality" option, you end up with a product that's a couple hundred dollars more than it could have been.

There's an enormous difference between being able to sell the rifle for 750$ or 950$.