Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123456789101222 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Varmint style uppers and lowers

GunNutz
    not Sure how this thread went from MV to SLR but it would be nice to be able to get stripped upper with bolt carrier and charging system for the MV

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by rberresheim View Post
    not Sure how this thread went from MV to SLR but it would be nice to be able to get stripped upper with bolt carrier and charging system for the MV
    Agreed, not sure how the thread got derailed with worthless drivel.

So what exactly would you do with a "stripped" MV upper? Are you planning to make your own charge handle assembly, shell deflector, barrel extension, etc.? Given that ATRS already makes all of those parts I think it would be far less expensive to have them supply them than to make your own?
    They already sell extra uppers for the MV and you can move the bolt carrier from upper to upper and simply change the bolt head if you are going 223 to 6.5 grendel.

Now IF they were to make a MV style upper and lower that would accept standard AR charge handle and other parts so basically similar to what Maccabee has done that would be a different story.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by emerson View Post
    The similar cost is what many "early adopters" seem to gloss over.
    I scoffed on the ATRS price until I finished building my Precision AR...

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brianma65's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by no-one special View Post
    Agreed, not sure how the thread got derailed with worthless drivel.

So what exactly would you do with a "stripped" MV upper? Are you planning to make your own charge handle assembly, shell deflector, barrel extension, etc.? Given that ATRS already makes all of those parts I think it would be far less expensive to have them supply them than to make your own?
    They already sell extra uppers for the MV and you can move the bolt carrier from upper to upper and simply change the bolt head if you are going 223 to 6.5 grendel.

Now IF they were to make a MV style upper and lower that would accept standard AR charge handle and other parts so basically similar to what Maccabee has done that would be a different story.
    I was thinking about going this route, but you can't purchase,just the 6.5 upper.
    The only option is with a bolt,which brings the cost up $2200.

Would be great to get the upper, less the bolt and barrel.

The factory mv price is right where I would want to be, but I would need it in 6.5 Grendel which is automatically a $200 upcharge. I also hate waiting for firearms, so if they had one on the shelf or a shorter turn around time then I would probably grab a modern Varmint instead.

I don’t mind it not being a match grade gun- it will always out shoot me anyways, so I would rather save money on the barrel/ handguard and keep in light as possible. This is a hunting rig for me!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by rikkards View Post
    I scoffed on the ATRS price until I finished building my Precision AR...
    Quoted for truth. I've tried many times to cobble together a home made cheaper solution for mechanical things. Always spent more and got less unless I happened to be a subject matter expert. Turns out I'm not good at everything....
    Semper Fi

CGN Ultra frequent flyer jiffx2781's Avatar
    Last edited by jiffx2781; 05-17-2020 at 09:02 PM.

Business Member alberta tactical rifle's Avatar
    WOW!! Talk about the Monday morning train wreck. Took some time to put this one back on the rails.
    Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply

Canada's Premier Precision Rifle Manufacturer

Please email all inquiries to info@albertatacticalrifle.com NOT through PMs

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/
    Long Distance is BETTER than being there

Quote Originally Posted by no-one special View Post
    Now I know this subject has been beaten to death and your answer about selling stripped uppers and lowers not being a possibility, but I am just wondering if you guys had anything in the works that might be able to compete with the Maccabee upper and lower?

I have reservations from what I have read on the various forums as to what exactly is being sold as there just is not a lot of solid info. Lots of speculation is found and the word "prototype" is constantly being thrown around, which concerns me from talking to you guys about what all you had to go through to get the final legal classification. Reading an article in Caliber magazine indicated that someone who had access to the FRT had called Caliber out for advertising a NR rifle for sale when the final FRT was possibly not in hand. With all of the "prototype" being thrown around on the forums it would appear that this may be the case. I hope not but at this point it is hard to know.

Back on topic though. Are you guys planning to offer anything similar? I know you guys are always working on new and innovative products for the firearms community.
    I am very hopeful you have something in the works as I would prefer to purchase from a known business that has a long history of producing high quality products rather than "the new kid on the block" that no-one seems to know much about.

If you aren't already working on something similar PLEASE start on it!!
    Well as a matter of fact we have been working on a project we are calling MV "sporter", which we are in the midst of alpha testing. Essentially a Modern Varmint shaped upper and lower but with conventional AR parts being used in an effort to cut down on how many proprietary parts we have to make and to offer the consumer more latitude in the parts employed as well as an option for the DIY crowd.

Standard AR charge handle, trigger, mags, and most furniture can be used. Being as these share all AR parts compatibility and the only proprietary parts will be the upper and lower, our insurance carrier can not play the "proprietary firearm design adds further liability" card.

Having learned alot from the MH/MV process we are taking a little more time than may be necessary to test these, but will be producing a production run of them in the next month or so, at which time a "final production" rifle will be submitted to the SFSS/RCMP for FRT determination. Hopefully as these are based of an existing design that has a NR status it will be a short exam just to confirm what they already know. It is a variant of the Modern Varmint rifle, which already has NR status.

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

Quote Originally Posted by 257hunter View Post
    So will this new upper function with the existing lower?
    No it won't as we have redesigned this to drop the spring loaded trunnion in the back of the lower so that a standard AR buffer retainer can be used as well as mil spec style fire control parts.
    It is a different gun but shares the look and some of the features the MV does in order to hopefully keep the NR legal status.