Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst 1234567891011121424 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Varmint style uppers and lowers

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brianma65's Avatar
    I just got my MV, it's still in the back seat.
    I've had a half dozen or so looks at it,but that's it til I get home

This gun looks and feels awesome.
    I'm really pleased with it ,so far
    Thanks

So , I'm quite happy with the way that the MV currently is.
    Would I be able to buy a stripped 6.5 upper ,that mates with my current MV lower?

Thanks

CGN Ultra frequent flyer onetwentyish's Avatar
    Any chance the new MV-S will have a forward assist? This seems to be a common complaint from the hunting crowd who wish to not hunt with one in the chamber.
    "I dont usually bring targets im more of a dirt shooter." -daniel_250r
    I am the "small fringe minority" with "unacceptable" views.
    CCFR 🍁 CSSA

Quote Originally Posted by alberta tactical rifle View Post
    Not a fan of being a Canadian? The more we have to mess with things the more it will cost. The UN marking regulations as well as the Canadian have to be adherred to.
    The leaf on our rifles and products is our trademark.

We are expecting to be the same price range as out AT15 uppers and lowers at about $950.00 for a stripped upper and lower. BUT at this point we have not established an exact price point, nor whether to use 6061 or 7075 material as that also effect price. It seems everyone wants cheap cheap cheap, so we are wrestling with the material dilemma.
    excellent news. glad to hear that more Canadian manufacturers are following this trend.

my 2 cents is to go as cheap as possible. Your focus should be on people who already own AR's and have already put money into AR's, but want a sort of 'upgrade kit' to swap to a new receiver and make it non-restricted. If people want a high-quality rifle, the MV and MH are already available. The perfect world would be a product that becomes a 'must-buy' for anyone who owns AR's.

950$ is not bad, and will be comparable to the SLR stripped receiver. Is that the absolute bottom price for this sort of design? Is there any major way to cut costs?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer onetwentyish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnis View Post
    excellent news. glad to hear that more Canadian manufacturers are following this trend.

my 2 cents is to go as cheap as possible. Your focus should be on people who already own AR's and have already put money into AR's, but want a sort of 'upgrade kit' to swap to a new receiver and make it non-restricted. If people want a high-quality rifle, the MV and MH are already available. The perfect world would be a product that becomes a 'must-buy' for anyone who owns AR's.

950$ is not bad, and will be comparable to the SLR stripped receiver. Is that the absolute bottom price for this sort of design? Is there any major way to cut costs?
    To preface this comment, I am not in manufacturing so this is just based on my knowledge and research but...

You must realize that the vast majority of AR uppers and lowers are forged by like 3 main manufactures allowing for economy of scale, then each manufacture puts there own finishing cuts on it. These recievers Rick makes are proprietary being produced from machining solid billet aluminum, racking up a large amount machine time. You will notice that ATRS' billet machined AT-15 (AR) reciever sets are similarly priced to the MV-S estimated price sets.

Machine time is costly but makes for a professional grade fit and finish when coupled with a company synonymous with quality like ATRS is. Unfortunately there really is a big limitation on the ability to produce a design cheaply if its not being mass produced. I dont really fo see a cheaper Canadian specific design achieving a cheaper price at any point unfortunately. Just the cost of admission as it may be.
    "I dont usually bring targets im more of a dirt shooter." -daniel_250r
    I am the "small fringe minority" with "unacceptable" views.
    CCFR 🍁 CSSA

Business Member alberta tactical rifle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnis View Post

The only ways to reduce costs is to have them made offshore by the tens of thousands, not a likely scenario as the market in Canada in minute.
    Not pay the machinists or rent on our building, don't think that will go over well.
    Make them out of recycled paper, not terribly durable though.
    Not bother at all.

All joking aside.

What Canadians just don't get is the market in Canada is minuscule, so high volume production just is not possible. This is why the big companies don't even bother with Canada when it comes to designing and producing something to fit our stupid laws. With the exceptions of a few handgun makers who are occasionally willing to make a 4.2" barrelled hand gun, I can't think of a single large gun maker who has offered anything that is truly ARish and made specifically for the Canadian market.

A friend of mine owns a part of 1 of the high end gun club/stores in Scottsdale. They sell more guns from their shop in 1 month than we do in a year and sell more ammo in a month than probably all Canadian gun stores do in 6 months together. Availability of full auto may play a part in this?

I can't remember the numbers exactly but seem to recall there are more people in Montana, a sparsely populated state than there are PAL holders in all of Canada.
    And more SKS rifles have been made than the entire population of Canada, so the economies of scale just don't work with a tiny sales base.

Keep in mind too that ALL of the various Canadian NR rifles are not worth a dime in the USA as AR's don't have restrictions there and Canadian made AR style rifles on the whole are NON importable into the USA which kills any potential for sales in the USA from the beginning.

IF the market was there to sell even several thousand rifles rather than several hundred, which is really what the Canadian market will support, the numbers would change to a degree. Unfortunately this is not the case for firearms sales in Canada.
    The simple fact is that Canada is an expensive country to produce things in as well as live in. The higher wages and taxes that support our standard of living as well as our "free" medical system have a cost, and that cost is that Canadian made is more expensive due to our higher cost of living when compared to our southern neighbors.
    Last edited by alberta tactical rifle; 11-21-2017 at 11:05 AM.
    Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply

Canada's Premier Precision Rifle Manufacturer

Please email all inquiries to info@albertatacticalrifle.com NOT through PMs

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/
    Long Distance is BETTER than being there

CGN Regular
    Hey I don’t know if this is covered or not, but can you make the front dimensions for the upper receivers similar to an AR, so it can accept a wider amount of handguards? I would be looking at the M4A1 RIS II, which has some bolts protruding.

Quote Originally Posted by onetwentyish View Post
    Any chance the new MV-S will have a forward assist? This seems to be a common complaint from the hunting crowd who wish to not hunt with one in the chamber.
    Initially we figured to include it, but are undecided at this point due to costs. To include a forward assist and milled in place shell deflector requires larger material, which adds to the cost as well as adds about 30 minutes of machine time, which again increases the end cost. The shell deflectors on the MH and MV are fairly inexpensive to make in comparison to milling them out of the larger billet. 6 minutes of machine time and we can use the scrap from the mags wells for material.

It seems more guys are in favor of cheaper than any other feature and you can't have it both ways. We still have time to change this as we are still working on the final prototype to put into production.

I guess in the end it all depends on whether a forward assist and milled in shell deflector are worth roughly $100.00 in the overall cost. We have not established a firm price yet, but this is just another part to factor into the final price.

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

So with this I can use Giessele SSA trigger and BCM pistol grip?

I am not a fan of drop-in "trigger in a box"

Please send all private messages on CGN admin issues to "CGN Admin" account

CGN Ultra frequent flyer jiffx2781's Avatar
    Last edited by jiffx2781; 05-17-2020 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by greentips View Post
    So with this I can use Giessele SSA trigger and BCM pistol grip?

I am not a fan of drop-in "trigger in a box"
    Assuming that the trigger and grip with fit a conventional AR, yes it will fit what we are working on. We are not employing any sort of trigger housing.