Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst 123456789101112131525 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Varmint style uppers and lowers

Business Member alberta tactical rifle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jiffx2781 View Post
    If you can keep the price at $1000 (same price as MacDef) AND include a couple extra features such as the compatibility with ALL ar triggers and the forward assist, you will outsell them based on features as well as the fact that you are already a known quality brand.

However I think there are more people who don't necessarily find a forward assist to be a must have. I would like it but I really couldn't care less if it was there or not.

I would like the best features package and the best quality, however I know not everyone thinks like me. Also not everyone can afford the best of the best.

In reality the lower you can keep the pricing the more units you will sell. It's up to you to determine where the line is drawn between features, quality and price.
    Well we only know 1 grade of quality, so that won't change from we already do.
    Features equate to costs and we are trying to keep them down and we do not want to offer yet more versions of the same upper or lower as that defeats any chance of more production.
    Personally I can see no benefit to the forward assist at all. To close the bolt quietly can be accomplished with both our side charge version as well as the rear charge rifles, assuming that the bolt is properly fitted and lubed, it can be pushed into full battery by thumbing the cut out in the bolt carrier forward if need be. If more force is required there is an ammo problem.
    Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply

Canada's Premier Precision Rifle Manufacturer

Please email all inquiries to info@albertatacticalrifle.com NOT through PMs

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/
    Long Distance is BETTER than being there

CGN Ultra frequent flyer onetwentyish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alberta tactical rifle View Post
    Initially we figured to include it, but are undecided at this point due to costs. To include a forward assist and milled in place shell deflector requires larger material, which adds to the cost as well as adds about 30 minutes of machine time, which again increases the end cost. The shell deflectors on the MH and MV are fairly inexpensive to make in comparison to milling them out of the larger billet. 6 minutes of machine time and we can use the scrap from the mags wells for material.

It seems more guys are in favor of cheaper than any other feature and you can't have it both ways. We still have time to change this as we are still working on the final prototype to put into production.

I guess in the end it all depends on whether a forward assist and milled in shell deflector are worth roughly $100.00 in the overall cost. We have not established a firm price yet, but this is just another part to factor into the final price.
    I hear you rick. Perhaps you could offer 2 versions of the upper, one that is a slick side no frills cheap option (MV-SSS sounds catchy) the other could feature all the goodies - dust cover, milled in forward assist, milled in case deflector, call it the MV-STR. Uppers could be interchangeable, and would cater to both audiences with out alienating the other. Just a thought. I understand this adds more SKU's which isn't ideal either...

I can personally tell you I would prefer a fully featured upper for clone builds. If I didn't care about clone builds I probably wouldn't buy any more rifles like this. But since I do intend to build clones I can foresee being interested in picking up at least another 3 or 4 receiver sets especially if they were fully featured.
    Last edited by onetwentyish; 11-20-2017 at 08:11 PM.
    "I dont usually bring targets im more of a dirt shooter." -daniel_250r
    I am the "small fringe minority" with "unacceptable" views.
    CCFR 🍁 CSSA

I know price to manufacture and appeal to the masses has to be taken in to consideration. The three things that made me cancel my preorder on "the competition" were the need for a tool on take down, use of a trigger box with no compatibility for drop in triggers and finally no forward assist. Forward assist is definitely the lowest concern on my list but I'm sure there's many others like me who feel it completes the package. Very interested to see where this goes and I wish you the best.
    Sisu - The will of the Finnish people to overcome against impossible odds.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer G.Mitchell's Avatar
    Well... From what I'm reading I'm glad I didn't preorder the other guys upper lower set.

I for one would pay a little more for better materials, and a forward assist with shell deflector.

Will you offer matched receiver sets and just uppers?

Very exciting news. Thanks for bringing us up to speed.
    Looking for members in Grande Prairie Alberta interested in wilderness skills, survival skills, camping, prepping, shooting, etc.

Business Member alberta tactical rifle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G.Mitchell View Post
    Well... From what I'm reading I'm glad I didn't preorder the other guys upper lower set.

I for one would pay a little more for better materials, and a forward assist with shell deflector.

Will you offer matched receiver sets and just uppers?

Very exciting news. Thanks for bringing us up to speed.
    The plan is matched upper and lower sets as well as individual uppers for those who want additional uppers for different calibers. Both will not mate up with anything AR as the geometry of both the upper and lower is proprietary but both will accept all AR components.
    Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply

Canada's Premier Precision Rifle Manufacturer

Please email all inquiries to info@albertatacticalrifle.com NOT through PMs

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/
    Long Distance is BETTER than being there

CGN Ultra frequent flyer onetwentyish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alberta tactical rifle View Post
    The plan is matched upper and lower sets as well as individual uppers for those who want additional uppers for different calibers. Both will not mate up with anything AR as the geometry of both the upper and lower is proprietary but both will accept all AR components.
    Im hoping individual lowers are not out of the question either, I plan to build in phases.

1 complete rifle first, then the next couple uppers, then lowers to match the spare uppers once funds are available is my game plan if possible. Of course this is all a ways off yet.
    "I dont usually bring targets im more of a dirt shooter." -daniel_250r
    I am the "small fringe minority" with "unacceptable" views.
    CCFR 🍁 CSSA

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Daver_II's Avatar
    This might convince me to drop the SLR.

I love the ATRS products... Now it comes to production timeline..

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Airborn_69's Avatar
    Quality over Quantity, you bet! You have my attention as well.
    Ex NFA Member.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutt-roc View Post
    i'd rather have my daughter be a whore than have my son work the guncounter at wholesale sports

CGN Ultra frequent flyer jiffx2781's Avatar
    Last edited by jiffx2781; 05-17-2020 at 09:05 PM.

CGN Regular
    I wonder, are you also considering different completed versions of the MV-S? An inexpensive as can be built mil spec, a best value build, a highend build, build to order. What’s the current thinking?