Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161828 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Varmint style uppers and lowers

CGN Ultra frequent flyer jiffx2781's Avatar
    Last edited by jiffx2781; 05-17-2020 at 09:08 PM.

CGN Regular
    Can we buy any regular ar barrels for them provided they are 18.5”? Or do they have to be custom built?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer onetwentyish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jiffx2781 View Post
    Agreed. The shell deflector on my MV is very effective. No need to change it.

As far as a forward assist goes, the more I think about it the less I find it necessary. The MV doesn't have it and it functions perfectly fine.

If you incorporate a forward assist into the new design it will only result in additional costs with little to no additional benefit.

I think we only have a hard on for the forward assist because 1, it looks cool and 2, it is an ar-15 feature and we are not allowed to take ar-15's out to the back fourty. We always want what we have been told we can't have.

I can live without it if it helps to keep costs lower thus making it more affordable to more people. The more of these that you can put into people's hands the better it is for all of us.
    This is why I purpose the 2 versions of the MV-S upper, both a slick side version and a fully featured version. Yes its more SKU's, but neither the "cheaper is better" or the "I've already paid this much, why cheap out now" crowds will be alienated, and the different versions could easily be ran in batches to limit transition time between producing different versions. Pass the cost on to those who want it bad enough to pay for it, and if one of the models doesn't sell as good as the other, discontinue it.

I personally think offering 2 versions will give ATRS an additional edge over the competition, and the Fully Featured version would just be that much more of an edge as its not something the competition is offering yet either.

If you produce Fully Featured uppers (has a machined in forward assist, machined in case deflector, dust cover, you wont just sell a few, it will be loads. Cloners dont usually make just one clone, they usually make at least a handfull if not enough to fill a damn armory.

If you produce Slick Side (no forward assist, no case deflector, no dust cover) or a standard featured MV-S upper (no forward assist, bolt on case deflector, dust cover) it will not appeal as much to the folks who are potential repeat buyers and instead casing after the one a done crowd.

Why not make 2 options that cover all your bases and drive the competition right out of town as fast as they came into town?

Question Rick, will the reciever width dimensions allow for PDW style stocks? I would like to build a PDW with a barrel shroud at some point. Something that couldn't be done with the side charger on the standard MV.
    Last edited by onetwentyish; 11-21-2017 at 01:07 PM.
    "I dont usually bring targets im more of a dirt shooter." -daniel_250r
    I am the "small fringe minority" with "unacceptable" views.
    CCFR 🍁 CSSA

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brian46's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by onetwentyish View Post
    This is why I purpose the 2 versions of the MV-S upper, both a slick side version and a fully featured version. Yes its more SKU's, but neither the "cheaper is better" or the "I've already paid this much, why cheap out now" crowds will be alienated, and the different versions could easily be ran in batches to limit transition time between producing different versions. Pass the cost on to those who want it bad enough to pay for it, and if one of the models doesn't sell as good as the other, discontinue it.

I personally think offering 2 versions will give ATRS an additional edge over the competition, and the Fully Featured version would just be that much more of an edge as its not something the competition is offering yet either.

If you produce Fully Featured uppers (has a machined in forward assist, machined in case deflector, dust cover, you wont just sell a few, it will be loads. Cloners dont usually make just one clone, they usually make at least a handfull if not enough to fill a damn armory.

If you produce Slick Side (no forward assist, no case deflector, no dust cover) or a standard featured MV-S upper (no forward assist, bolt on case deflector, dust cover) it will not appeal as much to the folks who are potential repeat buyers and instead casing after the one a done crowd.

Why not make 2 options that cover all your bases and drive the competition right out of town as fast as they came into town?
    There is either going to be an even longer wait than the current MV for the MV-S if production capability is not at least quadrupled by the manufacturer. Then it will have to be increased exponentially again and again as each new manufacturer comes out with a new model or risk losing market share to consumers who will not wait,
    If it's either loud, obnoxious, fast, hated by the general population or any combination of these, I OWN IT!!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer jiffx2781's Avatar
    Last edited by jiffx2781; 05-17-2020 at 09:09 PM.

Business Member alberta tactical rifle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fordmam View Post
    Can we buy any regular ar barrels for them provided they are 18.5”? Or do they have to be custom built?
    The plan is to employ standard AR15 barrel extensions/barrels.
    Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply

Canada's Premier Precision Rifle Manufacturer

Please email all inquiries to info@albertatacticalrifle.com NOT through PMs

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/
    Long Distance is BETTER than being there

Quote Originally Posted by Brian46 View Post
    Explain the bushmaster ACR, RA XCR, SAN and any of the other rifles that have both restricted and NR FRT #'s. If the rcmp "cracking down" is such a viable concern.
    As mentioned I know there are several rifles where the serial numbered part, hence that part being considered the gun is the upper. I think that changing from the lower being serialized to the upper, "could" allow the SFSS/RCMP to legitimately claim this is not a variant of our existing firearm. I guess the thing is is how much of a gamble do we want to undertake?

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

Quote Originally Posted by onetwentyish View Post

Question Rick, will the reciever width dimensions allow for PDW style stocks? I would like to build a PDW with a barrel shroud at some point. Something that couldn't be done with the side charger on the standard MV.
    2 different versions is not in the plan at this time.
    Not sure if a PDW stock will fit as we don't have 1 to try. How about we get finished testing what we have and see what the feds say? This entire project could be a waste of time based on what they decide.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer onetwentyish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alberta tactical rifle View Post
    2 different versions is not in the plan at this time.
    Not sure if a PDW stock will fit as we don't have 1 to try. How about we get finished testing what we have and see what the feds say? This entire project could be a waste of time based on what they decide.
    Absolutely. Like jiff says, just very excited about the possibilities.

If one model of upper is all that is on the table at this time, I encourage you to consider how it may seem to the RCMP if you made a fully featured upper for the MV-S then produced a featureless/slick side upper in the future vs making a featureless/slick side upper first, then produce a fully featured upper that has more/different features than the MV-S or MV initially had. Seems like a possible excuse for another examination/gauntlet. Its easy to travel the road that has allready been snow plowed, might as well clear the snow infront of your shop while you have the tractor warm from plowing your drive way. Lol

Im sure you have also allready considered this, but your choice in upper style will also have an effect on who your priority target audience is. Perhaps a thread with a poll for different versions at different costs would help level out where the best choice of action is.

If these get approval, I hope you will offer custom matched serials once again.
    Last edited by onetwentyish; 11-21-2017 at 03:13 PM.
    "I dont usually bring targets im more of a dirt shooter." -daniel_250r
    I am the "small fringe minority" with "unacceptable" views.
    CCFR 🍁 CSSA

I would rather not gamble on this, and you made good points. I surely don't want to be tugging the tiger by the tail in this current state of agitation.
    Quote Originally Posted by alberta tactical rifle View Post
    As mentioned I know there are several rifles where the serial numbered part, hence that part being considered the gun is the upper. I think that changing from the lower being serialized to the upper, "could" allow the SFSS/RCMP to legitimately claim this is not a variant of our existing firearm. I guess the thing is is how much of a gamble do we want to undertake?
    Travis Kay
    Proverbs 4:27
    http://www.traviskay.ca [laughably dated]
    http://linkedin.com/in/kaytravis