Page 10 of 36 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617182030 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Varmint style uppers and lowers

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brianma65's Avatar
    So by serializing the upper, guys can then take there lower and throw a restricted upper on there?
    The call the RCMP and have it changed to restricted status?

Then all they have to do is swap back and forth, from NR to R?

If so, what happens if somebody is doing this frequently, and one day, in a rush,forgets to swap from R to NR,
    Goes in the bush and gets caught?

Could he just say ,uh, I forgot ?

A 16 inch barrel looks very similar to an 18.

I see threads,where people in a rush,forget their mags,bolts ,etc
    So I think this would be possible.

Or do I got it all wrong.. lol

^ I think it's very possible. I rather not play devils advocate on either side. I don't like it, but since this hasn't been done before, and there is no precedents on how the SFSS/RCMP handle this, I rather not test it or play games. I do think like Daver_II said, but nothing is that simple for us.
    Travis Kay
    Proverbs 4:27
    http://www.traviskay.ca [laughably dated]
    http://linkedin.com/in/kaytravis

Business Member alberta tactical rifle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brianma65 View Post
    So by serializing the upper, guys can then take there lower and throw a restricted upper on there?

If so, what happens if somebody is doing this frequently, and one day, in a rush,forgets to swap from R to NR,

Ignorance of the law is not a defense. Forgetfulness I doubt would be a defense either. I believe that once the restricted status is applied it requires a verifier's report to change it. I can see Firearms Legal Defense being a REAL good investment for some guys.
    Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply

Canada's Premier Precision Rifle Manufacturer

Please email all inquiries to info@albertatacticalrifle.com NOT through PMs

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/
    Long Distance is BETTER than being there

Business Member alberta tactical rifle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xdmer View Post
    ^ I think it's very possible. I rather not play devils advocate on either side. I don't like it, but since this hasn't been done before, and there is no precedents on how the SFSS/RCMP handle this, I rather not test it or play games. I do think like Daver_II said, but nothing is that simple for us.
    Agreed. Being the test dummy is going to be EXPENSIVE. Maybe I am really more conservative than I knew? Or just have waaaay too much at stake to play games with major consequences for the loser.
    Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply

Canada's Premier Precision Rifle Manufacturer

Please email all inquiries to info@albertatacticalrifle.com NOT through PMs

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/
    Long Distance is BETTER than being there

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brianma65's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alberta tactical rifle View Post
    Ignorance of the law is not a defense. Forgetfulness I doubt would be a defense either. I believe that once the restricted status is applied it requires a verifier's report to change it. I can see Firearms Legal Defense being a REAL good investment for some guys.
    I know ignorance is not a defense,don't mean dumdazzs won't try it.
    And when threatened , by jail time with bubba,lol
    They'll try and place blame elsewhere.

As they have no backbone, to be accountable.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brian46's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brianma65 View Post

no, you would have restricted uppers and NR uppers for the same lower, no call required for a status change when adding the lower to upper.

The same problem with the ACR, xcr, etc that are quick caliber change rifles. We can play the what if game all day, but fact remains the SFSS has yet to Crack down.

It even gets more complicated with multiple ACR's with multiple caliber conversions and lengths to keep it straight, especially with a status change sometimes being required depending on the swap. Not to mention the waiting period where the CFC instructs you to leave the gun in the safe while you wait for paperwork to be processed.

Way simpler with serial on uppers, then there is only need for one lower rather than multiple rifles to fill in the gap for status processing times
    Last edited by Brian46; 11-21-2017 at 08:17 PM.
    If it's either loud, obnoxious, fast, hated by the general population or any combination of these, I OWN IT!!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Why it's a well known fact that people do that with ACR's and XCR's all the time...
    A tiger in Africa?!

I think he meant it as a figure of speech. As in that is not the intent of the design, or commercially offered rifle from either vendor. I can see the SSFS or RCMP seeing this as playing games, and doing something that was 'not intended' because it's technically possible. (they seem to love dual use now)

As in play stupid games .... this is how 'loopholes' are created from thin air, and how we all end up getting hammered. This is why we can't have nice things....

Quote Originally Posted by Brian46 View Post
    Who here has suggested doing this except yourself?
    Travis Kay

CGN Ultra frequent flyer riptide's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alberta tactical rifle View Post
    Agreed. Being the test dummy is going to be EXPENSIVE. Maybe I am really more conservative than I knew? Or just have waaaay too much at stake to play games with major consequences for the loser.
    Agreed. I do not have to like the laws... and I can want to change them all I want. But there's no chance in hell that I'd be willing to break them when the consequences are as severe as they would be. At the very least it would be a loss of all my firearms and a hefty legal bill to stay out of jail with no criminal record. I can have the shorter barrels on my ARs. The NR stuff gets 18.5". Besides... is 2-4 inches all that big a deal (yes I'm aware how that sounds)?

XCR's have specific pistol designs, registered as such I think, or more specifically XCR-L Micro. Rifle / Restricted Rifle would depend on barrel, but they only come in 18.6 in Canada and I've never seen the micro / pistol barrels or uppers for sale here.

The design, intention and components are clearly restricted and non restricted.

Quote Originally Posted by yohann160 View Post
    Why it's a well known fact that people do that with ACR's and XCR's all the time...
    Travis Kay