Page 12 of 36 FirstFirst ... 245678910111213141516171819202232 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Varmint style uppers and lowers

Quote Originally Posted by alberta tactical rifle View Post
    Initially we figured to include it, but are undecided at this point due to costs. To include a forward assist and milled in place shell deflector requires larger material, which adds to the cost as well as adds about 30 minutes of machine time, which again increases the end cost. The shell deflectors on the MH and MV are fairly inexpensive to make in comparison to milling them out of the larger billet. 6 minutes of machine time and we can use the scrap from the mags wells for material.

It seems more guys are in favor of cheaper than any other feature and you can't have it both ways. We still have time to change this as we are still working on the final prototype to put into production.

I guess in the end it all depends on whether a forward assist and milled in shell deflector are worth roughly $100.00 in the overall cost. We have not established a firm price yet, but this is just another part to factor into the final price.
    if stuff like a forward assist or milled shell deflector would add 100$ or more to the final price of the product, speaking personally, I'd prefer you omit them.

At this point, "we" as a community should just be focused on getting as many black rifles into the bush as possible. Afterwards, additional options like that could be offered. 100$ is not insignificant in the final price. 60$ for material, 100$ for a forward assist, that makes the difference between a 950$ receiver set and an 800$ receiver set. That's a meaningful difference.

Quote Originally Posted by onetwentyish View Post
    This is why I purpose the 2 versions of the MV-S upper, both a slick side version and a fully featured version. Yes its more SKU's, but neither the "cheaper is better" or the "I've already paid this much, why cheap out now" crowds will be alienated, and the different versions could easily be ran in batches to limit transition time between producing different versions. Pass the cost on to those who want it bad enough to pay for it, and if one of the models doesn't sell as good as the other, discontinue it.

I personally think offering 2 versions will give ATRS an additional edge over the competition, and the Fully Featured version would just be that much more of an edge as its not something the competition is offering yet either.

If you produce Fully Featured uppers (has a machined in forward assist, machined in case deflector, dust cover, you wont just sell a few, it will be loads. Cloners dont usually make just one clone, they usually make at least a handfull if not enough to fill a damn armory.

If you produce Slick Side (no forward assist, no case deflector, no dust cover) or a standard featured MV-S upper (no forward assist, bolt on case deflector, dust cover) it will not appeal as much to the folks who are potential repeat buyers and instead casing after the one a done crowd.

Why not make 2 options that cover all your bases and drive the competition right out of town as fast as they came into town?

Question Rick, will the reciever width dimensions allow for PDW style stocks? I would like to build a PDW with a barrel shroud at some point. Something that couldn't be done with the side charger on the standard MV.
    I think that's the ideal we'd all wish for, but I doubt ATRS would want to deal with TWO separate versions right from the get-go.

But speaking personally, I'd gladly buy a slick upper with a lower, move all my A4 clone stuff over to it and deal with not having a forward assist for a bit, and then one day buy an 'upgraded' version with those extra features, move all the components over again, and have a blank slick receiver ready to be built into a 2nd rifle!

CGN Regular
    A shell deflector would be a big factor for us lefties, personally I wouldn't buy one without it. The forward assist would be nice, but really wouldn't affect my decision. Really hoping for an ATRS NR to go with my ATRS AR-15!

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian46 View Post
    Thinking that nobody is going to have a smith reproduce the extension for a caliber conversion or barrel swap is rather naive
    A smith isnt going to let a unregistered restricted firearm leave his shop. Yeah obviously if a guy was so inclined he could shorten the barrel on his own but a proprietary barrel extension just adds an extra step. Im probably alone on that idea anyways

CGN Regular
    Rick has said under 1000 with a target of trying for under 900 if possible.

+1 for NO forward assist
    +1 for removable/replaceable shell deflector
    +1000 for ALL (read drop-in trigger group) AR parts compatibility

Just FYI, this news killed a pre-order I was going to make...

BANNED
    +1 for NO forward assist
    +1 for removable/replaceable shell deflector
    +1 Normal AR Triggers
    +1 Ar CH
    +1 AR everything actually... lol...

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Daver_II's Avatar
    Want Forward assist.
    Want deflector (removable is perfectly fine)
    Don't care about drop in triggers.... there are plenty of great non-drop in

Realistically if someone’s going to break the law and do this all they need is a hack saw. I agree it’s kind of a non issue. I skimmed back a bit but couldn’t find it, is there any sort of timeline on this project yet or is it still too early to tell?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Daver_II's Avatar
    Could a forward assist be a user installed option?
    Maybe machine a slot and install a gasket/cover if no forward assist is wanted. Or attach the forward assist module?