Page 54 of 108 FirstFirst ... 344446474849505152535455565758596061626474 ... LastLast

Thread: Maccabee Defense SLR Non-Restricted Receiver Set [WAIT LIST]

Could we actually see the blemished ones ? Its only the finish that is different ?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Patt08's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotorwash View Post
    Cerakote over the blemished anodizing whatever color you want

Mine had a spot in the magwell and a tiny spot by the safety selector. no big deal, I did more blemishing putting the roll pin in the bolt catch. My $1300 brownings come with small finishing flaws occasionally too. I dont get worked up about it since its going to get marked up behind the seat of the pickup anyways.

But Im sure sure the next batch of anodizing will be corrected.
    Unfortunately it sounds like they are going to be skipping the anodizing and using just cerakote.
    |CCFR|

Not interested in a cerecoated rifle thanks I ordered anodized. Also blemishes are a no go maybe for a steep discount even the I'd drop from two sets to one.

Figure it out.
    N*rinco is a cuss word in my house

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter1971 View Post
    Why not offer the rejects to us?
    If MDI has delivered more than they had this would be a viable option. But since they came up well short it’s not really fair to those who are higher up on the pre order who don’t want a blemished rifle. MDI has offered to fix them and ship them back. That will take considerably less time than manufacturing more receiver sets.

Genuinely curious here. How do they fix the blemished ones? Do they anodize them again?

Quote Originally Posted by Shorerider View Post
    If MDI has delivered more than they had this would be a viable option. But since they came up well short it’s not really fair to those who are higher up on the pre order who don’t want a blemished rifle. MDI has offered to fix them and ship them back. That will take considerably less time than manufacturing more receiver sets.
    |CCFR|

Business Member True North Arms Corp's Avatar
    Most of the feedback here and by email on cerakote was negative so I had a talk on the phone with Wyatt the head cheese at Maccebee. I shared your and our concerns about this last-minute change of coating. I'll relay what I understood from the conversation.

Maccabee has not been able to find an anodizer within geograpic range that can do a consistent type 3 hard anodizing. The hardness and scratch resistance is mediocre and inconsistent. (I neglected to ask how some anodized receivers could get released anyway, I just sent an email asking this)

Meanwhile they feel that cerakote as applied by Red Deer Shooting Centre will perform at a highly satisfactory level.

Note that cerakote is not always cerakote, many shops that do it are not fully trained and certified. The process doesn't matter nearly as much as the competence in the process of application. There are good anodizers, bad anodizers. Good cerakoters, bad cerakoters. A good cerakote job can be stronger than a bad anodize and vice versa.

In Maccabee's sandblast and other testing, the anodizing was just not holding, while the cerakote performed quite well.

RDSC has a state of the art cerakote facility and properly trained staff. RDSC will guarantee the cerakote against any defects that exceed normal wear and tear. A side bonus is that at some future time Maccabee will be able to offer colours.

Nevertheless, Maccabee hears the feedback and will broaden their search for anodizers to find a solution for people that 'must have' anodizing, which will take some more time of course. We at TNA have some ideas so we are exploring this as well.

=====

Zach's comment: I understand this is a big curveball. We're working to figure this out.

Maccabee's first major batch goes off to cerakote next week, I'm looking forward to getting one in my hands to see just how good it is.

Give us your comments
    True North Arms Corp.
    Website truenortharms.com
    Email info@truenortharms.com
    Instagram truenortharms

Quote Originally Posted by True North Arms Corp View Post
    Most of the feedback here and by email on cerakote was negative so I had a talk on the phone with Wyatt the head cheese at Maccebee. I shared your and our concerns about this last-minute change of coating. I'll relay what I understood from the conversation.

Maccabee has not been able to find an anodizer within geograpic range that can do a consistent type 3 hard anodizing. The hardness and scratch resistance is mediocre and inconsistent. (I neglected to ask how some anodized receivers could get released anyway, I just sent an email asking this)

Meanwhile they feel that cerakote as applied by Red Deer Shooting Centre will perform at a highly satisfactory level.

Note that cerakote is not always cerakote, many shops that do it are not fully trained and certified. The process doesn't matter nearly as much as the competence in the process of application. There are good anodizers, bad anodizers. Good cerakoters, bad cerakoters. A good cerakote job can be stronger than a bad anodize and vice versa.

In Maccabee's sandblast and other testing, the anodizing was just not holding, while the cerakote performed quite well.

RDSC has a state of the art cerakote facility and properly trained staff. RDSC will guarantee the cerakote against any defects that exceed normal wear and tear. A side bonus is that at some future time Maccabee will be able to offer colours.

Nevertheless, Maccabee hears the feedback and will broaden their search for anodizers to find a solution for people that 'must have' anodizing, which will take some more time of course. We at TNA have some ideas so we are exploring this as well.

=====

Zach's comment: I understand this is a big curveball. We're working to figure this out.

Maccabee's first major batch goes off to cerakote next week, I'm looking forward to getting one in my hands to see just how good it is.

Give us your comments
    Look forward to seeing the finished product.
    |CCFR|

BANNED
    Maybe they can farm the sets out to ATRS for anodizing lol jk

CGN Regular
    Surely someone on this forum can suggest a competent anodizer?

Does the anodizing have to be done next door?
    Surely there is someone within Canada that can do this properly?
    I'm sure this is a nightmare for MDI as well but my goodness, has no one there have any business sense? A proper business plan? How the hell are we at this stage and they are just learning now that their anodizing is crap? Who the hell commits this deep without having all the steps of production sorted?

Anyways.....
    Thank you TNA for the updates and always great customer service. Sorry that you guys are caught in the middle.

I for one do not want to pay $1k for a blemished set or a Cerekoted set. I would however buy either at a discount. I can imagine fitment issues with Cerekote as I am reading that the tolerances are already very tight. Cerekote will just make fitment issues worse and you'll have to basically remove the Cerekote to get it to fit together.
    Here's hoping they can find a competent Anodizing company with experience and capacity.