Page 79 of 108 FirstFirst ... 596971727374757677787980818283848586878999 ... LastLast

Thread: Maccabee Defense SLR Non-Restricted Receiver Set [WAIT LIST]

Quote Originally Posted by tharkhold View Post
    Wow... Is MDI taking these back for 'fixing', or is it a DIY solution-only??
    MDI said that I could send it back to them and they will fix it, I chose to do it myself.

CGN frequent flyer
    MDI are amateurs running this thing out of their garage.
    f:P

CGN frequent flyer
    It boggles my mind that there is still a waiting list and people are ordering them. I really would love someone to chime in and tell me what the draw is to buy one of these anymore. Especially after machining operations have been missed, Pins dont fit, Anodising was removed and orderes were delayed by 8+ months.

My take on it.

If you want to plink .223 and have fun WK180
    If you want a AR15 copy to build ATRS
    If you want a black rifle to hunt. Forget a grendel build and build a Stag 10.
    Take someone shooting - Encourage someone to get a Pal/ RPal

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Scotty454's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungestPiperCub View Post
    It boggles my mind that there is still a waiting list and people are ordering them. I really would love someone to chime in and tell me what the draw is to buy one of these anymore. Especially after machining operations have been missed, Pins dont fit, Anodising was removed and orderes were delayed by 8+ months.

My take on it.

If you want to plink .223 and have fun WK180
    If you want a AR15 copy to build ATRS
    If you want a black rifle to hunt. Forget a grendel build and build a Stag 10.
    I wanted as close to an exact AR15 copy as I could get. I want to run it in competition, but also shoot it casually on crown land. I wanted as close to absolute parts interchangeability as I could get. I couldn't get that with anything on your list, outside of the ATRS MS. I seriously considered dumping my SLR pre-order and pre-ordering one of those. But the main determining factor was the fact that MDI had already obtained a non-restricted FRT# for the SLR. It's still up in the air for ATRS. Logic dictates that the MS will come back as NR, but we all know that sometimes logic isn't the deciding factor when dealing with the firearms lab. I have absolutely ZERO use for a thousand dollar restricted receiver set when my M&P runs awesome, and the whole build cost me that much. Couldn't justify the risk.

Even though it took a little bit of work, my SLR runs great now, and I'm happy with it. Am I thrilled that I had to #### with a thousand dollar receiver set? No. Does it still satisfy my original requirements? It does now.

Let Freedom Ring With a Shotgun Blast!

Business Member True North Arms Corp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooter1971 View Post
    Last update in July had me at 108. Where you at TNA? Any changes to allow for some of the noted issues? Have parts for a Grendel build. Really suck if my mag don't fit.
    if you email us I can advise your current place in queue.

we haven't received anything since the last updates, all receivers that we have are shipped or spoken for,

Newer receivers have the magwell cut properly. MDI says it was a simple change of the end mill size by 1/16 or so to go deeper into the corner. so you should be fine out of the box
    True North Arms Corp.
    Website truenortharms.com
    Email info@truenortharms.com
    Instagram truenortharms

Quote Originally Posted by True North Arms Corp View Post
    if you email us I can advise your current place in queue.

we haven't received anything since the last updates, all receivers that we have are shipped or spoken for,

Newer receivers have the magwell cut properly. MDI says it was a simple change of the end mill size by 1/16 or so to go deeper into the corner. so you should be fine out of the box
    That explains the latest delay.

Quote Originally Posted by Gubermonkey View Post
    Well, got mine, and there are several issues.

1; steel mags don't work. The milling in the upper reciever is more rounded and doesn't allow the "square" leading edge of the mag to sit high enough to become seated. Pmags seem to work. Doesn't help much since this was a Grendel build.

2: safety is ridiculously tight almost immovable. Though I'd sand down my selector switch, no luck. It appears that the holes drilled for the selector switch in the reciever and the trigger block sleeve don't line up perfectly. Stupid, annoying, I could fix that but that's definately another manufacturing defect.

3: most importantly, like other have experienced, very tight tolerances with regards to pins. I decided to sand down my roll pin for the bolt catch. It was working until the last 1/4 going in, I hear a crack, and there it is, a nice crack going lengthwise in one of the bolt catch "ears". It didn't crack where they attach to the side of the reciever, the roll pin itself split the aluminum.

Don't say I was being too tough with it, not my first ar(ish) rifle I've built. I sanded that pin down a LOT. There's no way that hole would be of any acceptable specification.

Only plus side is that the rifle looks sexy as hell, and macdef actually asked me to send the reciever back to them. Lets see what comes of this.
    I've replicated your experiences 100%. I'm not sure if I want to send it back to Macdef though. It's done being built. I don't want to unbuild it just to send the receiver (and honestly, I don't think I can get any of the roll pins out).

Quote Originally Posted by Kinthelt View Post
    I've replicated your experiences 100%. I'm not sure if I want to send it back to Macdef though. It's done being built. I don't want to unbuild it just to send the receiver (and honestly, I don't think I can get any of the roll pins out).
    Well, I mailed it to them, and guess what, THEY GAVE ME THE WRONG ADDRESS!!!!

Luckily it came back to me as undeliverable. They know it, they've confirmed that it was the address of the post office in Calgary. Still no info as to where it REALLY has to go.

Still waiting for an answer from macdef.

How irresponsible is this? Give the wrong address for someone to mail a firearm reciever?

CGN Regular
    What are the drop-in trigger packs that work with the slr? I searched on the forum but couldnt find an answer

Business Member True North Arms Corp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by m_falafel View Post
    What are the drop-in trigger packs that work with the slr? I searched on the forum but couldnt find an answer
    these are some notes I made while testing a while back

elftmannn -- all fits with a widening of the SLR trigger box hammer slot. Exception - the "SE" model would also require filing of the front part of the SLR trigger box that curves in.

CMC -- tight, need to file the corners of CMC trigger box

triggertech -- seems to fit but not able to adjust set screws

my recommendation is Elftmann for the simplest install, you just have to file the SLR's trigger box hammer slot a little wider to let the hammer fly thru
    True North Arms Corp.
    Website truenortharms.com
    Email info@truenortharms.com
    Instagram truenortharms