Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Slide Milling for Red Dots

So was I, that's why I thought I'd ask here. I have to say, I like your answer a lot better Shawn. The other company responded as if I should already have known I was asking a " stupid " question. They absolutely refused to just cut the slide or do a partial coating of any sort. Plus their cost to ceracoat the entire slide was over triple.

I know who I will be going to for this work.

I'm not picky and it doesn't have to be cerakote but I would certainly prefer it sealed again. Blackened would be fine with me as long as it stops moisture and protects long term.

I see you guys offer DLC coating. This is found on many of my EDC knives and can take a serious beating. Would this be the same situation as the cerakote where sandblasting would be required?

I could send a pm but it sounds like others here, like myself could use the info.

expired business
    Quote Originally Posted by 41 bravo View Post
    I have the same plan with a 19x as Kilo
    Is the slide not stainless steel on the glock? If it is why would any coating be necessary under the milled surface? The RMR is wider than the top of a glock slide so i dont think you would even see any milled surface.

Red Tower, for an RMR cut on a Glock do you mill in the recoil lugs like in your picture or do you just mill the slide flat?
    You don't see any milled surface on our slide cuts because they fit so tightly. But the last thing you want to do is remove an optic after X amount of years and find any surface rust or corrosion. We always recommend to put something over the cut but have done them bare in past for customers. Ultimately we can provide you all the information we have but its entirely up to your discretion!

We always mill the posts with our optics. Better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it, Know what I'm sayin?!

expired business
    Quote Originally Posted by jg007 View Post
    RMR is wider, but the seal runs over the edge, so it's not perfect and water/moisture can get in. With the sealing plate the RMR battery component is good, but it's not necessarily airtight to the slide - same issue

I'd be curious to see how the bluing turns out - I was told it doesn't work by another custom gun/ modification company
    you got it! We're actually currently working on manufacturing our own sealing/anti flicker plates to include with every cut we do.

I do it regularly. Important bit is to use the correct product for the type of steel you're working with. It may not come out as black as factory but its better then bare!

expired business
    Quote Originally Posted by kilo3niner View Post
    So was I, that's why I thought I'd ask here. I have to say, I like your answer a lot better Shawn. The other company responded as if I should already have known I was asking a " stupid " question. They absolutely refused to just cut the slide or do a partial coating of any sort. Plus their cost to ceracoat the entire slide was over triple.

I know who I will be going to for this work.

I'm not picky and it doesn't have to be cerakote but I would certainly prefer it sealed again. Blackened would be fine with me as long as it stops moisture and protects long term.

I see you guys offer DLC coating. This is found on many of my EDC knives and can take a serious beating. Would this be the same situation as the cerakote where sandblasting would be required?

I could send a pm but it sounds like others here, like myself could use the info.
    No stupid questions here my friend. We try to provide all the information we can and as much of a cost savings as possible with every job. If you ever have any questions feel free to drop me an email or phone the shop. I'm always here for you guys! I don't always get the CGN page comments but I try to stay on top of it as best I can.

For what your looking for we can just re-blue the cut and blacken it again. That would probably be ideal.

DLC goes on in a vacuum chamber at temperature so unfortunately again there would be no real way to mask the slide to get just that one area. You're best options are to either blacken the area again, or Cerakote the entire slide. Thats why we offer those two services as part of the slide cutting promo!

No worries! My knowledge is here to be shared!

Shawn

CGN Ultra frequent flyer sixty9santa's Avatar
    RMR on a Steyr M9A1 doable?
    "Genius begins great works, but labor alone finishes them." Joseph Joubert

To all with TDS: Trump for Prime Minister!!!

expired business
    Quote Originally Posted by sixty9santa View Post
    RMR on a Steyr M9A1 doable?
    Shouldn't be a problem!

Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by RedTowerArmoury View Post
    We can always re blue or black oxide the bare cut and not effect the factory finish tho. That may be a better option for you!

Shawn
    Looking forward to seeing examples of this. I just got a G19x as well and would be interesting to see what it looks like with the OEM coating and just the milled portion black oxided.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer bfiles's Avatar
    Thread hijack,

How much to cerakote a complete rifle ??? Type 81 specifically.

And possible for a drop off/pick up as I'm close by.

Thanks!!
    CSSA CCFR PROUD MEMBER
    "Sleep in bliss Pops"!!!!!!

expired business
    Lol, If you're close stop in!

I'll have a look and work something out for you. If you can disassemble the rifle and bring it ready its cheaper!

Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by bfiles View Post
    Thread hijack,

How much to cerakote a complete rifle ??? Type 81 specifically.

And possible for a drop off/pick up as I'm close by.

Thanks!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123