Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Type 81 quick review.

Received mine a couple of days ago. Didn't have a chance to take it to the range yet, so the shooting ability remains unknown. The manufacturing quality is not very impressive though. Some of the features are not friendly at all. Removal of the gas piston cover is just inconvenient. The magazine release is bent back instead of being straight and doesn't feel good on the thumb. The material the cover is made of is some crappy tin. I've handled different AKs before as well as SKSs and them it is not. I think if I had a chance to handle this gun prior to buying it, I would not buy it. And this is not a cheap gun. I'd say don't buy till you see it in the store first.
    Last edited by 3apa3a; 11-25-2017 at 05:59 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Claven2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3apa3a View Post
    Received mine a couple of days ago. Didn't have a chance to take it to the range yet, so the shooting ability remains unknown. The manufacturing quality is not very impressive though. Some of the features are not friendly at all. Removal of the gas piston cover is just inconvenient. The magazine release is bent back instead of being straight and doesn't feel good on the thumb. The material the cover is made of is some crappy tin. I've handled different AKs before as well as SKSs and them it is not. I think if I had a chance to handle this gun prior to buying it, I would not buy it. And this is not a cheap gun. I'd say don't buy till you see it in the store first.
    Hmm... the youtube videos show the gas cover as very easy to remove - easier than an SKS. Just rotate a sight knob and lift it off - is yours not working like that?

The mag release is supposed to be like that. It's meant to be operated by Chinese soldiers with thick winter mitts on. It's not meant to be the same catch as an AK, though you could probably put an AK catch on there, I suppose?

The receiver cover is supposed to be thin sheet steel - what did you expect it to be like? It's not meant to be a heavy machined part like an SKS, it's meant to keep dirt out and be light. The gun works without it even installed, by the way.

It's also made of sheet steel, so if you are thinking of a milled AK, then this is a very different thing. I've had both milled AK's and stamped AKMs. The AKMs felt inferior in every way when holding one, but were strangely more reliable than the milled guns I had. Both shot about the same. I don't have my T81 yet, but I expect it to be a lot like a stamped sheet steel chinese AKM in the quality department. So not great, but reliable, functional and accurate enough for its purpose.
    Keeping it real on the range since before there was a CGN.

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Luckybeer View Post
    What are you all ten years old? You are all a joke..
    Unreal right?? They're either whining or insulting people.
    Their behavior is worthy of a kindergarten playground.

Youza.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Tyockell18's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Claven2 View Post
    Hmm... the youtube videos show the gas cover as very easy to remove - easier than an SKS. Just rotate a sight knob and lift it off - is yours not working like that?

The mag release is supposed to be like that. It's meant to be operated by Chinese soldiers with thick winter mitts on. It's not meant to be the same catch as an AK, though you could probably put an AK catch on there, I suppose?

The receiver cover is supposed to be thin sheet steel - what did you expect it to be like? It's not meant to be a heavy machined part like an SKS, it's meant to keep dirt out and be light. The gun works without it even installed, by the way.

It's also made of sheet steel, so if you are thinking of a milled AK, then this is a very different thing. I've had both milled AK's and stamped AKMs. The AKMs felt inferior in every way when holding one, but were strangely more reliable than the milled guns I had. Both shot about the same. I don't have my T81 yet, but I expect it to be a lot like a stamped sheet steel chinese AKM in the quality department. So not great, but reliable, functional and accurate enough for its purpose.
    You are correct, explains mine perfectly and that's fine by me. It's built plenty well enough, my individual rifle is at least.

Random QC issues popping up for some people aside.
    Last edited by Tyockell18; 11-25-2017 at 09:07 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer jbmauser's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Luckybeer View Post
    What are you all ten years old? You are all a joke..
    Just a joke on a good friend of mine. He has nothing to be embarrassed about.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer CanadianAR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jbmauser View Post
    Just a joke on a good friend of mine. He has nothing to be embarrassed about.
    I actually didn’t know I was being filmed for that vid, or I’d have blasted a whole mag. Haha.

I got in on this late, just letting you know I think it’s a pretty quality piece. And I collect ww2 german rifles. Hahah
    WANTED: Matching German WWII K98k and bayonets.

xxxxxxx
    Last edited by BRASSTACKS; 01-29-2020 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 3apa3a View Post
    The gas system removal is so simple a child could do it after being shown once, I'm not sure what issues you are having or did have but reading the manual might help you out in the future.
    Nothing stopping you from bending the mag release to however you like it if it bothers you the way it came.
    The dust cover does nothing but keep dust out, it's not even required to be on there to shoot the gun. Not sure what you were expecting but I'm sure if it was heavy gauge steel you would complain the rifle is too heavy.
    Cheap is a matter of opinion, I've owned rifles that cost over $7000 and was very happy with my purchase. For $1000 what else can you buy? It's a cheap Chinese rifle, I'm not sure what you were expecting. If you want a high quality rifle for $1000 you have to go buy a bolt action (and you're still only in the lower to mid level for that price) because I can't think of a single semi auto non restricted rifle that is cheaper and at least the same quality as this one other than an SKS.

I will agree to a certain degree that it's not a $1000 rifle. It costs $1000 but I would guess that if these are imported in larger numbers so you could just walk into any retailer and grab one they will work their way down to around $700 but since no one forced you to buy one you only have yourself to blame if you don't think you got your moneys worth. I know I paid a little more than what I actually think it's worth but at the same time I'm happy with my purchase and after 100ish rounds it's performing as I expected it to. Accuracy is mediocre compared to other quality options but it is reliable (so far) and fun to shoot.

Put it up on the EE if you don't like it.
    Sorry, don't mean to come off as a dick and not trying to pick on you but I really don't understand where people get the idea that $1000 for a rifle is a lot of money and that it should be Swiss Arms level of quality for this price. If you want quality you gotta spend a lot more than $1000.
    Last edited by cr5; 11-26-2017 at 08:17 PM.
    Don't be so sensitive snowflake, words can't hurt you.
    "Facts don't care about your feelings" Ben Shapiro
    If it's on the muzzle it's a brake NOT a break

By the power vested in me as God of my world.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer XRCD011's Avatar
    Hey all you new T81 owners, first off I am 100% not posting to slag your purchases, in fact I am really happy that things all worked out and a new black rifle is within Canadian borders. Well done to all for running the clock out and playing the what must have been agony waiting game. I am curious beyond words to see someone take apart both an SKS and a T81 and lay out the parts to see the differences between the two rifles. So cool to see these rifles here in Canada and hopefully they are imported for many years to come.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Claven2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XRCD011 View Post
    Hey all you new T81 owners, first off I am 100% not posting to slag your purchases, in fact I am really happy that things all worked out and a new black rifle is within Canadian borders. Well done to all for running the clock out and playing the what must have been agony waiting game. I am curious beyond words to see someone take apart both an SKS and a T81 and lay out the parts to see the differences between the two rifles. So cool to see these rifles here in Canada and hopefully they are imported for many years to come.
    The operating mechanism is nothing like an SKS. An SKS is a tilting bolt gun, similar to the keltec rfb bolt.

The type 81 uses a bolt very similar to the AK, a rotating lug design.

The gas system is similar to the SKS though.
    Keeping it real on the range since before there was a CGN.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast