Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 1st Kill With New Coyote Rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Shackleton View Post
    I want to get into hunting coyote with a semi-automatic. Are there any semi-automatic rifles left out of the recent ban? I'm new to shooting and hunting, sorry if I'm being daft.
    I was out coyote hunting Wednesday evening with a WK180C. Be aware that a modern sporting rifle is generally heavier and not as accurate at long ranges than a bolt action rifle.

Is he gonna be ok?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer cody c's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MlCE View Post
    Is he gonna be ok?
    He’s fine, just having a nap

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Shackleton View Post
    I want to get into hunting coyote with a semi-automatic. Are there any semi-automatic rifles left out of the recent ban? I'm new to shooting and hunting, sorry if I'm being daft.
    You can start with the banner advertisers (at the top of this page); virtually every one has a website with a 'search' function; if you use that, your options will then pop up.

P.S.: If you haven't already checked your provincial wildlife & hunting regulations, you'll want to do that before you buy anything (because they may contain restrictions that you wouldn't necessarily anticipate).
    Kyle Defoor talks about Mindset:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vPCqMo9TCg

CGN Ultra frequent flyer collector67's Avatar
    Nice shooting, one less cat killer in the world....
    "Gimme back my bullets"

Hey all, just to say this...
    This thread is right around 3 years old, but still... thanks guys.
    This particular rifle now has claimed well over 100 yotes, its well paid for.
    Still the exact same setup as in the picture.
    Last fall I had er so full of copper fouling it started to shoot couple inches high at 100yds, after about 4-5 shots after cleaning. Turned out my bottle of Hoppe's 9 Bench Rest copper remover was 5 years old and didn't touch copper anymore. New bottle and about 50 patches later, good as new...
    The person who would proof read Hitler's speeches was literally a grammar Nazi.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCoyoteHunter View Post
    Most coyotes will offer 1 shot, if you miss, the chance of getting them on the run is slim. When they realize they have been tricked, they leave in a hurry. Therefore, in my opinion anyway, I'd go for a accurate bolt gun over high fire rate.
    A follow up shot is a lot easier with a modern sporting rifle than a bolt action.

Agreed,
    The follow up shot(s) would be easier to take, the hitting seems to be what I struggle with.
    They usually leave around the 50km/hr rate, and if they stop to look back over their shoulder its 400+ yards.

A friend of mine uses that semi auto 223 by Benelli (MR1 I think is the model #). He'll tell you the same thing, "Don't miss your 1st shot".
    The person who would proof read Hitler's speeches was literally a grammar Nazi.

BANNED
    Nice western coyote...Skin it out for a $100 bill!

CGN Regular
    OP - just curious - per your comment about going with 65 grain in case you had a chance at a wolf, with how devastating you said the 55 grain was, why not just stick with that?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast