Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The day has finally arrived!!! Rem 870 DM

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    I don't think these would be legal to hunt with the 3rd magazine as is.

"4 It is unlawful to hunt or trap with a set gun or with a pump, repeating or auto loading shotgun unless the magazine contains a plug that is incapable of holding more than 2 cartridges."

To me, that reads any shotgun whos magazine holds more than 2 (bolt closed or open doesn't matter) is verboten.
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

Expired Industry Member
    I don't think these would be legal to hunt with the 3rd magazine as is.

"4 It is unlawful to hunt or trap with a set gun or with a pump, repeating or auto loading shotgun unless the magazine contains a plug that is incapable of holding more than 2 cartridges."

To me, that reads any shotgun whos magazine holds more than 2 (bolt closed or open doesn't matter) is verboten.
    Migratory Birds Regulations

Hunting Methods and Equipment
    15 (1) Subject to subsections (4) and (5) and section 23.1, no person shall hunt a migratory bird

(a) except with a long bow and arrow or with a shotgun not larger than number 10 gauge;

(b) by the use or aid of live birds, including non-migratory birds;

(c) by the use or aid of recorded bird calls, except as permitted in any part of Schedule I;

(d) with a shotgun of any description capable of holding more than three shells unless the capacity of the gun has been reduced to three shells in the magazine and chamber combined, by means of the cutting off or the altering or plugging of the magazine with a one-piece metal, plastic or wood filler that cannot be removed unless the gun is disassembled; or

According to the laws, as long as the shotgun can't hold more than 3 shells in total, you're good from the looks of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravel Agency View Post
    Migratory Birds Regulations

According to the laws, as long as the shotgun can't hold more than 3 shells in total, you're good from the looks of this.
    But if you can fit 3 in the mag, and 1 in the chamber, that's 4. I don't see how the bolt being open or closed has anything to do with it?

Also, I quoted the bc hunting regs so even if the migratory bird regs allow it (which seems like a grey area) I think it would be illegal in BC.
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

Expired Industry Member
    But if you can fit 3 in the mag, and 1 in the chamber, that's 4. I don't see how the bolt being open or closed has anything to do with it?
    If you put one in the chamber and close the bolt, the 3 round mag with 3 shells won't fit, so you have to remove a shell from the magazine giving you three shells in total in the shotgun.

If you put the 3 round mag in on an open bolt with a shell in the chamber, you're going to have an issue with a double feed. You pull the round out that double fed and you're back to 1 in the chamber and two in the mag.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravel Agency View Post
    If you put one in the chamber and close the bolt, the 3 round mag with 3 shells won't fit, so you have to remove a shell from the magazine giving you three shells in total in the shotgun.

If you put the 3 round mag in on an open bolt with a shell in the chamber, you're going to have an issue with a double feed. You pull the round out that double fed and you're back to 1 in the chamber and two in the mag.
    Yes I understand that. I don't see how that circumvents the law though. You could put one in the chamber, 3 in the mag. That's 4. No where does it say that if that'll cause a malfunction then it's legal, it just says no more than 3, period. Seems like the sort of thing that'll get you in trouble if the CO wants to cause you trouble....

Logically, what you claim makes sense. The problem is logic is rarely applied when it comes to interpreting regulations....

(also, as noted before it would be illegal in BC either way(as bc law says no more than 2 in the mag). Probably some other provinces too)

Expired Industry Member
    (also, as noted before it would be illegal in BC either way(as bc law says no more than 2 in the mag). Probably some other provinces too)
    Thankfully Federal laws override provincial laws concerning the same issues.

Also the BC Hunting Regs state......

Summary
    The information presented here is a summary of the law. If there is a discrepancy between the law and this summary, the law prevails. For complete information on fines, general prohibitions, permitted hunting methods and equipment, the requirement to have adequate means to retrieve birds immediately, restrictions on the use of bait, the description of hunting districts, and other restrictions on hunting, please refer to the Migratory Birds Convention Act, 1994 and Migratory Birds Regulations.

If a CO wants to cause you trouble, you're going to have trouble no matter what you do though.

CGN Regular
    Hopefully, this will be offered as a retrofit kit for regular 870 receivers (with a drilling template), to convert one of my Wingmasters so I don't have to buy an Express.

And is there a chance we'll see a DM Versamax someday?
    Last edited by gunnuts; 12-05-2017 at 11:06 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Gatehouse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Suther View Post
    Yes I understand that. I don't see how that circumvents the law though. You could put one in the chamber, 3 in the mag. That's 4. No where does it say that if that'll cause a malfunction then it's legal, it just says no more than 3, period. Seems like the sort of thing that'll get you in trouble if the CO wants to cause you trouble....
    )
    The question is- will the 3 round magazine even attach to the firearm with a closed bolt? Sounds like it won't. If it won't attach, then it would be legal
    375 Ruger is the NEW KING of the .375's. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Ain't right, lots daft with a mag tube and a mag

That mag set up looks rather goofy. DA Grizzly did theirs better. Speaking of, will the mags interchange? Willing to offer my Griz mag fed as a test mule.
    The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.
    -H. L. Mencken

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast