Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Range Rig / Hunting Rig Opinions wanted!

Business Member Rep Wolverine .303's Avatar
    Lattitude - 49.89617 | Longitude - 100.85384

Range Rig / Hunting Rig Opinions wanted!

So I have found myself looking at finally getting a hunting rifle and a target rifle build, best of both worlds to a point-sorta-thing. All I really do right now is restricted to the range, pistols, ARs, that kinda jazz but I do have a few old hunting rifles I can use ( Remington 722 in 6mm mainly ).

So far what I working on is below, and I think this is going to give me the best of both worlds , and not critically break the bank to the extent where I am homeless. ( I am also saving for the next little while as I am but a simple Prairie boy on a budget. ) The biggest questions I am currently working on is MOA vs. MIL which can start one wallop of a argument, and if the stock is a right choice to go with. On the scope side of things I have been using MOA previously, but thinking I want to get on the MRAD train ( choo choo ) if I really want to start stretching out there. I have a spot of land where I can go 1600 meters roughly, so I have the potential of playing with distance.

Essentially this is going to be the same rifle as what Remington offers, but with a 24" barrel and 0 MOA base .

So I ask of you CGN.. Thoughts? Opinions? Yes - no - maybe so.....

Remington 700 Barreled Action 6.5 Creedmoor 24" -> $715.00 ( OWNED )

Magpul Hunter 700 Stock Remington 700 with Aluminum Block Polymer Black -> $301.99

https://www.wolverinesupplies.com/Pr...Polymer-Black-

Leupold PRW Rings, 30mm, Medium (.97"), Matte -> $80.95 ( OWNED )

https://www.wolverinesupplies.com/Pr...--97-----Matte

Vortex Viper PST Gen II 3-15x44 FFP EBR-2C MOA Tactical -> $1479.00

https://www.wolverinesupplies.com/Pr...-MOA-Tactical-

Midwest Industries AR-15 M-LOK Bipod Adaptor -> $29.66

https://www.wolverinesupplies.com/Pr...Bipod-Adaptor-

Harris Bipod 6" to 9" notched legs (Swivels) -> $139.99 ( OWNED )

https://www.wolverinesupplies.com/Pr...Swivels-------

Total $2746.59

With lovely MB Tax: $3103.65
    Last edited by Wolverine .303; 12-07-2017 at 05:44 PM.
    Phone: (204) 748-2454
    E-mail: sales@wolverinesupplies.com
    www.wolverinesupplies.com

That's a sweet setup that won't break the bank! Get the DBM kit for the Magpul stock, it's a must! If you like a floorplate better for hunting, they're easy to switch. I would go with a 20 Moa base, especially if you're going to shoot longer distances.

CGN Regular
    Hello,

MIL or MOA makes no difference honestly. Just what you are used to. I prefer MIL because it makes call outs easier and adjustments easier in my opinion. Its easier to say 2.3 MILS rather than 12 3/4 MOA, but thats just a preference. MOA is more precise as each click is ~1/4 inch at 100 yards, but with MILS 1 click is ~1/3 at 100 yards. All said I prefer MILS.

Magpul stock is ok, if you can save more money I would put it into the stock. For hunting a stock is better than chassis as they are lighter. I have a Manners T4 and I've also had a McMillan A-5, both are amazing. Big price jump though. For accuracy you either need something that has a chassis V block or is bedded. The bedding on the Magpul will not cut it for max precision, but will be perfectly fine for hunting.

Everything else looks good, but if it were me I would get the 5-25x Vortex.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerPark View Post
    That's a sweet setup that won't break the bank! Get the DBM kit for the Magpul stock, it's a must! If you like a floorplate better for hunting, they're easy to switch. I would go with a 20 Moa base, especially if you're going to shoot longer distances.
    A 6.5 CM will not required a 20 MOA base until you shoot past 1000 yards. The listed scope has enough internal adjustment so whether or not your have it is not the biggest deal.

I'd get the 20 moa base no harm in it and he has access to 1600 meters

Business Member Rep Wolverine .303's Avatar
    Lattitude - 49.89617 | Longitude - 100.85384
    I was thinking on the 20 MOA base, but was not certain on which direction to go with, something low profile, doesn't need any bells or whistles as far as rails go. Most likely just go with a Badger, the real question is invest in the rail prior to shooting and getting load development or get going and worry about it down the road.
    Phone: (204) 748-2454
    E-mail: sales@wolverinesupplies.com
    www.wolverinesupplies.com

Only change I would make would be to scrap the stock and go to a MDT Chassis, it's going to cost you more. If you keep your eyes peeled, you can find that scope used for a lot less and there's the money for the chassis.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    for real life hunting applications , deer, elk, moose, antelope, sheep, bear, caribou ect..... and real target shooting within a 1600 yard stretch?
    I'd be setting my rifle up in 7mm rem mag not 6.5mm

CGN frequent flyer
    1000 to 1200 yards max on 6.5 creed, for hunting not much past 800 because impact ft lbs is coming down and for all around if you hunt some bush you want max 3 to 4 on low end on scope so all around 3to 16 or 4 to 16 and do not let anybody tell you Magpul hunter is not good, I will put mine up against any MDT or chassi out there on the bench and at 299$ is a bargain , just my two cents
    Now for the s_ _t storm lol

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by 220 View Post
    1000 to 1200 yards max on 6.5 creed, for hunting not much past 800 because impact ft lbs is coming down and for all around if you hunt some bush you want max 3 to 4 on low end on scope so all around 3to 16 or 4 to 16 and do not let anybody tell you Magpul hunter is not good, I will put mine up against any MDT or chassi out there on the bench and at 299$ is a bargain , just my two cents
    Now for the s_ _t storm lol
    It’s not a bad stock. But if you think it’s as good as other chassis or stocks out there you are wrong. If that was the case then PRS and benchrest shooters would be using them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast