Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Your SKS Laminated stock rifles...

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by philhut View Post
    When I first started shooting I ordered a SKS then sourced out a supplier in the USA for a spring mod kit. Then I did more research and realized all that slam fire fear was silly. Clean your gun. Check that the firing pin easily moves back and forth with the tap of your finger. Pit your rifle back together and shoot. Next time you clean it make sure the pin moves. If your paranoid check it before every shooting session.
    Rifles made after 1950 in Russia by standard manufacturer specs has a free floating firing pin. Less to loose, clean and replace. Millions of them are made to shoot without the spring I think the Rusians knew it wasn't necessary.
    This. To check mine, I open the action, point the barrel down and push the firing pin in with my finger. If there's no resistance going in, and it comes right back out when my finger is moved, I know it's not stuck and it's safe to use without fear of a Slamfire.
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

I've bought three sks. Two of them were laminate 1950 and they were both spring firing pin, the other was 1951 hardwood and it was free floating.

What is the condition of these SKS'? Are they shooter grade or nicer metal and stock?
    "I'll keep my freedom, my guns, and my money;
    you can keep 'THE CHANGE'."

CGN Ultra frequent flyer ljones's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Magellann View Post
    From my experience all the surplus SKS rifles have a floating pin, the spring is an aftermarket add on if you choose to want one.
    The 49's to early 51's had spring firing pin. Then the Russians changed to the free floating pin. Some of the ones from those years have had the modification done to free floating during later refurbishment but there are ones that have the original spring firing pins.
    No such thing as too much ammunition or toilet paper...

CGN Ultra frequent flyer VICIOUS's Avatar
    HEY guys you should have been to the Ancaster Ontario gun show last Sunday, only 340 for SKSs.

Bought one on Black Friday.. $199 and free shipping.
    Former Royal Canadian Artillery - Gunner
    Former EME - Weapons Tech.

I'll second that

Quote Originally Posted by philhut View Post
    When I first started shooting I ordered a SKS then sourced out a supplier in the USA for a spring mod kit. Then I did more research and realized all that slam fire fear was silly. Clean your gun. Check that the firing pin easily moves back and forth with the tap of your finger. Pit your rifle back together and shoot. Next time you clean it make sure the pin moves. If your paranoid check it before every shooting session.
    Rifles made after 1950 in Russia by standard manufacturer specs has a free floating firing pin. Less to loose, clean and replace. Millions of them are made to shoot without the spring I think the Rusians knew it wasn't necessary.
    New Chinese SKS, Chinese SKS D and Russian refurb. Put a Murray spring kit in all three. Murray springs rusted on all three despite cleaning and oiling. Mind you I was not pulling the firing pin out when servicing them. One jammed back and failed to fire was when I found the first one. Took all three apart, removed Murray spring kits and back to original after cleaning. Never a problem since with all three. My experience. They work fine without, introduction of the spring actually adds a nice coil for gunk to build up in. Now I can flush the pins clean without worry. Seems like the spring kits maybe a solution for a non existent problem. Good thing the springs/rust/gunk didn't jam in a forward position, otherwise they would have been the cause of a slam fire full auto SKS!

Quote Originally Posted by Chumlee Bumsnag View Post
    Am I reading this correctly? You have no idea of a feature of a firearm you're selling?
    That's sarcasm right?? I mean, if not, let's just think about how busy they are ensuring deliveries are made in a timely manner and pertinent emails and phone calls are answered. If you really expect a vendor to check each and every surplus rifle that comes in that they are profiting 30-40 dollars on (a guess, maybe not even), I would personally tell you to go buy somewhere else if I was running the business. Time is a valuable resource.
    "They are the most armed, and most free” - Nicolo Macchiavelli, regarding Switzerland

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123