Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dan Wesson 715 357 Mag Revolver 6"

CGN Ultra frequent flyer unstableryan's Avatar
    I'm sure glad that I have an old one. $2k puts it out of range for me.

Quote Originally Posted by B View Post
    MSRP plus US conversion is gouging?
    No. We are saying Prophet River's pricing is totally fair because it is simply US MSRP plus the currency conversion.
    Many distributors have a unique Canadian MSRP which equates to US MSRP + several hundred premium + conversion. (Some will remember that Glock did away with this premium in the summer/fall.)

I'm not saying the premium is not always justified and may cover some legit costs, I'm just saying I appreciate not paying it ;-)
    Last edited by gdawg; 12-11-2017 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Name correction

Quote Originally Posted by sailor723 View Post
    No.....how did you get that idea? The point is that it is not gouging.....unlike some other importers in Canada that US prices plus conversion plus a bunch
    Was I talking to you?

Quote Originally Posted by gdawg View Post
    No. We are saying Profit River's pricing is totally fair because it is simply US MSRP plus the currency conversion.
    Many distributors have a unique Canadian MSRP which equates to US MSRP + several hundred premium + conversion. (Some will remember that Glock did away with this premium in the summer/fall.)

I'm not say the premium is not always justified and may cover some legit costs, I'm just saying I appreciate not paying it ;-)
    You keep calling them "Profit" River so I hope you can see where my confusion comes from...

Quote Originally Posted by krausb View Post
    Well, Keep in mind that Dan Wesson is not a large manufacturer like S&W, Colt or even DW's parent company, CZ USA. DW is a relatively small shop that builds a limited number of high quality firearms each year - They are definitely not a mass producer and don't have the economies of scale that the large manufactures have. Their pricing is typically well above mass marker manufacturers but less then full-on custom shops.

I won't try to hide it, I am definitely a DW fan and consider most of their guns to sit in that sweet spot between high end/custom and mass market; priced just before the law of diminishing returns takes you to a point where you only get tiny improvements for a lot more money. Pricey but you get your money's worth.
    Well, like I said I do have a Model 15 with 6" barrel. That is not a $2K gun... I understand every product has a buyer, so I cannot comment on your situation... But with this pricing policy, Dan Wesson will not be coming back into market with a strong position...

CGN Regular
    Was I talking to you?

You keep calling them "Profit" River so I hope you can see where my confusion comes from...
    Was anyone asking for your opinion?

Omg good catch. Didn't realize and can totally see how that may have come across as a backhanded dig when that was not the intent at all. Sorry Prophet River!

How do they compare to the originals?

These may be expensive but if they are comparable to the quality of the current crop of 1911's, they are likely a cut above the S&W and Ruger offerings. Whether that premium is worth it is a personal call. Clearly QA/QC is alive and well at DW so that is encouraging. Looking forward to some reviews.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer sailor723's Avatar
    Was I talking to you?

Nice response....really contributes a lot to the forum......good thing I'm too polite to type the first response that came to mind.
    Fan of Browning Hi-Powers and both S&W and Colt revolvers

CGN Ultra frequent flyer sailor723's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gdawg View Post
    These may be expensive but if they are comparable to the quality of the current crop of 1911's, they are likely a cut above the S&W and Ruger offerings. Whether that premium is worth it is a personal call. Clearly QA/QC is alive and well at DW so that is encouraging. Looking forward to some reviews.
    Yes, that's probably a good analogy. I'll be very interested to see a range report.
    Fan of Browning Hi-Powers and both S&W and Colt revolvers

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast