Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678910111323 ... LastLast

Thread: Garrison Petawawa PR Clinic 24-25 March 2018 Debrief Here!!

Yes please to the PRS session on Saturday!

Hi Barney,

Been a hunter & pistol shooter for a while now, but have recently become more interested in long distance/precision shooting - I would be what you describe in one of your posts as a totally RAW beginner...lol…

I’ve read through several of your threads, including the ‘Precision Rifle Match Preparation’ thread (an excellent read!) as well as the answers to other questions posted here, and found answers to quite a few of the questions I had, but I still have a couple of totally ‘noob’ questions I hope you can take the time to answer…

Re rifle/scope setup - I use a heavy barrel Tikka T3 Varmint in .243 currently topped with a Vortex Viper HS 4-16x50 for coyote. I am seriously considering upgrading the scope to a FFP Viper PST Gen II 5-25x50. With this scope upgrade, would this be an acceptable setup to get my feet wet? Is the caliber restriction at Petawawa limited to either .223 or .308, or are calibers between the two such as .243 allowable?

Re ammo – I shoot 85gr Nosler Trophy Grade ammo in my .243 - is this ammo (or other premium grade factory ammo) and the manufacturers ballistics info good enough to get started?

Re box test – Just wanted to confirm that this is where (using the same point of aim for all shots) you shoot one shot, then go a predetermined distance – let’s say 2” - up, shoot one shot, then go 2” to the right, shoot one shot, then go 2” down, shoot one shot, and then go 2” to the left and shoot your 5th and final shot. If the scope is working correctly, the 5th/last shot should be in the same spot as the first.

Thanks!

John
    ...we're all here cause we're not all there...

Steven Tyler

Tagged for future reference.

N/A for this one Barney but hopefully you’ll offer one next year I can make.

You guys have a great PR wknd and enjoy Danny’s Steak House!
    "For me, the action is the juice."

CGN Regular
    Awesome, just registered and EMT sent!

Business Member
    Milkbone96:

Sadly your 243 ain’t kosher with Range Control and caliber templates. So that conversation is a non-starter.

Here’s my way around Range Contol’s Caliber restrictions; I purchased a new rifle from my sponsor, Wolverine Supplies. It’s an Accuracy International AT in 308 and it features the Quick Change barrel using a 4mm hex key... I keep the 308 barrel on the receiver for Garrison Petawawa shoots and now I’m shopping for a 260 custom barrel to be fitted on the same receiver. This allows me a switch barrel arrangement. Easy Peasy..... Your gunsmith can steer you along this path. Have a chat with your professional gun builder!

The Vortex scope with the FFP technology is the way to proceed and one of these days you will appreciate that FFP advantage when you begin your steel shooting PRS journey.

Regarding that box test, yes that’s basically how it runs. All of you will have this chance at my PR clinic. Then we can compare scopes. Just like we compare spotting scopes on the mound. People have reported back to me telling how helpful that exercise was for their spotting scope shopping purposes

There did I answer them all?

Cheers, Barney
    Last edited by TacticalTeacher; 12-20-2017 at 06:39 PM.

CGN frequent flyer Sherlock Gnomes's Avatar
    Sweet. Sounds like a good learning opportunity
    Real men use peep sights

Quote Originally Posted by Sherlock Gnomes View Post
    Sweet. Sounds like a good learning opportunity
    Did the clinic and match twice last year, and will probably do this one. You'll enjoy it.
    ORA - BRRC - IPSC - CSSA - CCFR - DCRA

Quote Originally Posted by TacticalTeacher View Post
    Milkbone96:

Sadly your 243 ain’t kosher with Range Control and caliber templates. So that conversation is a non-starter.

Here’s my way around Range Contol’s Caliber restrictions; I purchased a new rifle from my sponsor, Wolverine Supplies. It’s an Accuracy International AT in 308 and it features the Quick Change barrel using a 4mm hex key... I keep the 308 barrel on the receiver for Garrison Petawawa shoots and now I’m shopping for a 260 custom barrel to be fitted on the same receiver. This allows me a switch barrel arrangement. Easy Peasy..... Your gunsmith can steer you along this path. Have a chat with your professional gun builder!

The Vortex scope with the FFP technology is the way to proceed and one of these days you will appreciate that FFP advantage when you begin your steel shooting PRS journey.

Regarding that box test, yes that’s basically how it runs. All of you will have this chance at my PR clinic. Then we can compare scopes. Just like we compare spotting scopes on the mound. People have reported back to me telling how helpful that exercise was for their spotting scope shopping purposes

There did I answer them all?

Cheers, Barney
    Hi Barney,

Yes, you answered my questions, and thanks very much for the reply & info!

Although that AI solution from Wolverine would be awesome, the cost of the gun plus scope is well beyond the "I'm really really REALLY sorry, Dear" threshold. However, with Boxing Day sales less than a week away, another Tikka T3x Varmint (or perhaps the TAC A1) in .308 plus the Vortex FFP scope might just fall within the Apology Zone... hmmm...
    ...we're all here cause we're not all there...

Steven Tyler

CGN frequent flyer Sherlock Gnomes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugout View Post
    Did the clinic and match twice last year, and will probably do this one. You'll enjoy it.
    Sounds good. Hope to see you there.
    Real men use peep sights

CGN Regular
    I'm in! Will send you some cash tonight.