Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another MIL or MOA question....

GunNutz

Another MIL or MOA question....

Greetings,

So, I have read many articles and beginning to understand the differences in MIL vs MOA; they are angular units of measurement not metric or imperial.
    This was a great article:
    http://precisionrifleblog.com/2013/0...ve-comparison/
    MIL vs. MOA — Key Points
    There are a handful of minor differences/trade-offs between MIL & MOA, but there are no inherent advantage to either system. Most people blow the small differences WAY out of proportion….Here are the biggest differences and things to keep in mind:

Whatever you decide, go with matching turret/reticle (i.e. MIL/MIL or MOA/MOA)
    1/4 MOA adjustments are slightly more precise than 1/10 MIL.
    MIL values are slightly easier to communicate.
    If you think in yards/inches the math for range estimation is easier with MOA. If you think in meters/cm the math is easier with MIL.
    When your shooting partners are using one system, there can be some advantage to having the same system.
    Around 90% of the PRS competitors use MIL.
    There are more product options (with ranging reticles) in MIL.
    So, it seems to be MIL vs MOA is sort of like two different "languages" that are conveying the same message

I have never used either system. As a woodworker and DIY builder I do think more in inches/feet ie. 4ft X 8ft sheets of plywood, 2X4 studs (actually 1.5 inches by 3.5 inches) etc. Off the top of my head, I don't know what 47cm would look like.

So, Tactical Teacher, for someone starting out and wanting to take your courses, which system would you suggest? MIL or MOA
    Is one easier to learn than the other? Is one easier to teach than the other?

Thank you
    Tony

CGN Ultra frequent flyer propliner's Avatar
    There's really no difference in the way they're used. The only advantage to either is that MIL's are easily calculated in groups of 10 whereas MOA has a slightly finer adjustment (roughly 1/4" vs 1cm). It's really just personal preference.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer mildot's Avatar
    Well this is just my opinion, the MIL scale really "shines" IMO when it's used in conjunction with a MIL reticle, while it's not that complicated, there is still much more to be studied than just my few remarks here. The "readers digest" version is that when you're using a MIL reticle, and MIL turrets you can use the "hash" marks or scale on the reticle for direct corrections. So you shoot a target @ 100m, and your low left say 2 MILs as calculated on the reticle, you simply "dial" that correction on the turrets.
    Certified Colt, Glock, REM, S&W, SIG, Tikka Armourer
    "Infil, Hit Target, Mission Complete, Exfil, Easy Day"

Think of this , your bullet drop requires you adjust for 3.5 mils which you turn your turret .1 mil per click vs say 16.50 moa at 1/4 Moa per click. So that's a fast 35 clicks on the mil scope how many is that on the Moa system? 66? Complicated

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by tinviper View Post
    Think of this , your bullet drop requires you adjust for 3.5 mils which you turn your turret .1 mil per click vs say 16.50 moa at 1/4 Moa per click. So that's a fast 35 clicks on the mil scope how many is that on the Moa system? 66? Complicated
    48 clicks (@ 1/4 moa), 12 moa. Or just use the 12 MOA hash mark. Stupid easy. It's only complicated to you because you learned MIL Its fractions of a second to go from 35 to 48, and if speed mattered you'd use the reticle rather than adjusting.

MIL is definitely more popular with todays shooters, more common in PRS so it'll be easier to find a spotter to match up with as well.
    Last edited by dacron; 01-21-2018 at 04:18 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Aniest's Avatar
    MIL or MOA, much like Metric or Imperial will only depend on what you get used to. It is switching in between that gets to be a problem. All of my hash marked and fully adjustable "on the fly" scopes are MIL, while those scopes I set to a distance and forget about MOA scopes are all set to "approximate" even numbers of meters in yards (ex: my one scope is set to zero at 220 yards, or 200 meters). I've had to do this because the translating all the time was messing me up as the three new scopes I have bought in the last 5 years are European with MIL adjustments.

I don't know when, but trades using Imperial is starting to become a way of the past: it's the experienced training the apprentices that hangs on to it.
    Check my "Started Threads" for Equipment Exchange ads: https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/member.php/76158-Aniest

CGN Regular
    People love to convince others that what they use is the better system.. "easier to think on multiples of 10", etc.. to me that's just nonsense.. i think in 10's and i also think in 1/4's every single day .. how many times do you have to get fuel because you've only got 1/10 of a tank left?

Maybe it's just me, but i generally am looking at my turrets when dialing a lot of adjustment.. I'm not counting 40 clicks.

Both systems work.

Make sure your reticle subtensions are the same system as your turrets.

Make sure it's a reticle design that you like for what ever your application might be.

Business Member
    I use both.... what’s not to like? I have clients of every different stripe....it’s all good!

Kinda like the Pride Parade....just Send It!!

Cheers, Barney
    Last edited by TacticalTeacher; 01-21-2018 at 06:11 PM.

1 MOA spreads about 1″ per 100 yards. (actually 1.047) so the further you go out the more the .047 becomes less precise .

This says it all

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast