Page 1 of 27 1234567891121 ... LastLast

Thread: Garrison Petawawa PR Clinic 24-25 March 2018 Debrief Here!!

Business Member

Garrison Petawawa PR Clinic 24-25 March 2018 Debrief Here!!

ive Been asked to hold PR specific clinics once again and I have not delivered this clinic since Fall of 2014. It’s good to be back. We have been shooting my hybrids clinic/ matches for three seasons now, many new folks have been bugging me for this dedicated weekend So here goes. I am encouraging all new and aspiring PR shooters to get into the game by taking this weekend Clinic.

I ran across many , many PRS newbies who paid $300 to shoot the Meaford Long Range Steel Challenge without ever having shot a PR match. You can guess how that weekend turned out for them. Don’t do this kinda shzt. Obviously they were not my clients. Better yet most of my clients had a ball and that’s the whole idea of going to a challenging match like the MLRSC September 8-9, 2018 this coming fall.

Where

CFB Petawawa

When

24-25 March 2018 Sat & Sunday

Cost

$80 for both days (go and find any instruction for that price point)

Where to Stay

About 10-15min from range control (and right by kelseys) http://www.petawawaqualityinnandsuites.com/
    2 min from base with several fast food/pizza options close by http://www.petawawariverinnandsuites.ca/

Material Focus

Everything I'll be teaching you is based on the PR matches fired by the ORA at Mons Range, CFB Borden. And I should know, I WAS the Match Director!!

Precision (read: Sniper) Rifle Clinics

DCRA Styles

The Precision rifle clinic prepares the shooter for competitions patterned after the course of fire shot by the DCRA or Dominion of Canada Rifle association at their Annual Prize meeting for Service Conditions held every year at CRPTC or Connaught Range and Primary Training Center near Shirley's Bay in the Kanata/Nepean area. The course of fire can be downloaded in PDF format at www.dcra.ca

These matches are shot monthly by the ORA or www.ontariorifleassociation.ca at CFB Borden , ON. The ORA follows the DCRA rulebook and course of fire . The purpose of this clinic is to prepare the competitor to shoot these matches.

Precision / Sniper Rifle Kit to Bring:

* A safe precision/sniper rifle in at least .223 Rem caliber and larger. .308 Win is a common platform. There are caliber restrictions at Garrison Petawawa and we are required to comply with .223 or .308
    * Hand operated target turrets on your optic already mounted to your rifle. 4.5 x 14 scopes are common. 6.5 x 20 scopes are seen frequently. 8 x 30 scopes are great optics for these matches. Scopes with a parallax adjustable side focus work well. Adjustable objective scopes work too, but more annoying to work with while in the prone position. Just don't show up with the stereotypical 3 x 9 coin operated hunting scopes because you will be wasting your time (and money)

* FFP or front focal plane models are strongly encouraged

* Last Sep 2013 Clinic we had some hunting scopes on the line, they were super frustrated with the coin operated turrets. I warned them, but they insisted. Now they are wiser from this experience. Please; go to school on their experiences.

* Suggested scope choices:
    - Bushnell Elite 6400, 6500, Sightron
    - Leupold Mark 4 LR/T , Nikon, Vortex Razor, Zeiss
    - NightForce, US Optics, Premier Reticles, Schmidt & Bender, Swarovski

* Rear bunny, sand bag, mono pod style rear rests work, too.
    * Notebook to record your sight settings
    * Anemometer (Kestrel-style) hand held wind gauges
    * Spotting scope and tripod
    * Rucksack, 3 day pack, Assault pack to carry your kit around the range
    * Snacks, granola bars, nuts, fruit, extra fluids
    * 200 rounds of safe, tested, reliable ammunition for your rifle (hopefully chronographed already)
    * Sunscreen, bug dope, ballistic glasses, hearing defenders
    * Extra food and water (someone always forgets)
    * Screwdriver set - compact enough?
    * OH Shzt Kit (if you don't know, I will teach you)
    * Rain gear or appropriate foul weather gear
    * Shooting mat / folding rifle case
    * Ensure your rifle is zeroed for 100m
    * Ensure your scope can do the "box" test reliably (Contact me, if you don't know what this is)
    * buy a copy of this book:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/19769...KIKX0DER&psc=1

I will be referring to sections of this book throughout the course....

Questions?

* Ask me right here in this thread. Others might be curious with the same concerns.

Registration?

* EMT of $80 gets you a spot on the clinic
    * I'm taking a maximum of 28 shooters (Updated 19 Dec 2017)

Ignore the cap of 28 shooters. I’ve been offered the services of a guest volunteer. He’s Ryan-Mcle and he’s my PR counterpart Match Director with the ORA at Base Borden. Now we have TWO expert teachers for this clinic. Ryan-Mcle also happens to be one of the top MD’s for the Meaford LR Steel Challenge...so I am considering a PRS session while we are at it on Saturday. Life cannot get any better.... I’m serious....who gives a shzt about winning the 649 lottery. I’ve already won it with this great community

EMT Information:
    Name: Tactical Teacher
    Question: What is your CGN handle?
    Answer: hungry (all low caps so I cannot mess things up)
    Email address: hungry556 AT bell dot net

Somewhere in the EMT, remind me of your CGN handle and which clinic it's for (CQB, PR, or M14)

RBC tweaked my EMT software into direct deposit...so EMT process my be shorter!

Here’s a picture from that 2014 Fall PR clinic:

Cheers and keep helping the noobs out there!

Barney
    Last edited by TacticalTeacher; 03-28-2018 at 07:43 PM.

EMT Sent. Roughly what time do our days start and finish at?

Thanks

Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTapin View Post
    EMT Sent. Roughly what time do our days start and finish at?

Thanks
    Aha. That’s a great question. We gather in the parking lot across from the Base Firehall that’s an immediate right once you show your ID and prove you are not a misguided DAESH basturd (sic) and that’s between 0800 and 0830. Then we convoy out to Range Control to sign in our vehicles allowing access to the training area and ranges.

We generally finish up around 1600-1630 hours. We need to clean up and dress properly for the impending food coma at Danny’s Steak House. Be warned all you Kale and broccoli lovers; this is a serious MEAT joint!!

Hahaha

TrUrbo tapin : I will do your EMT tonight thanks for being the first registrant.

Trdjr: this formal clinic course does not include the Sunday match or contest. We go through each match twice for all newbies to feel comfortable with their routines and kit. Much more focus on learning and practice and no score keeping. I spend a great deal of time discussing:

* rifles and scopes
    * sniper rucksacks and spotting scopes, much more in depth
    * what’s inside your rucksack and pockets
    * spotting scope selection
    * targetry dimensions
    * sniper and spotter communication
    * wind reading
    * watching for bullet swirl and trace
    * adjusting scopes or correcting your shooter

The hybrid clinic and match format we have been shooting for the past couple of years is a very , very condensed version of the clinic and that was to ease new shooters into the game and still challenge the expert shooters: as I’ve said before , I’m not a sniper nor a sniper course instructor but I have 30 years in the Edumakation system and I do know how to organize the learning environments.....

Bring on the questions.

Marty, we are going Back to the Future!!

Cheers, Barney

I'm in and will run your Butts for you!!

Cant wait to see Pet in the winter, hahah

Nate
    "I shoot better in the rain" TT

“Be the head of a chicken not the tail of a bull” Toyzone

Barney,

What make/model wind meter would you recommend? I've never needed one in the past as I regularly only shoot out to 200 yards. I'd rather get something decent now, then have to buy another one a couple months down the road.

I'm reading mixed reviews on anything in the 100$ or less range, but I'm not really willing to pay 500$ either.

Let me know your thoughts,

Thanks.

any more clinics for the year?

EMT sent. Will we be doing the "walk back" DOPE March 24-25 2018 weekend ?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Sakoman .308's Avatar
    What an excellent price for a training experience.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTapin View Post
    Barney,

What make/model wind meter would you recommend? I've never needed one in the past as I regularly only shoot out to 200 yards. I'd rather get something decent now, then have to buy another one a couple months down the road.

I'm reading mixed reviews on anything in the 100$ or less range, but I'm not really willing to pay 500$ either.

Let me know your thoughts,

Thanks.
    Have heard good things about the geo ballistics program paired with the weather flow wind meter that can be blue toothed into your phone.
    Know some of the top PRS shooters in the US using this product combo.

Other then that pick up the best kestrel you can afford. You can sometimes get them for a good price used out of the US. Anything I have ever seen in Canada used is way overpriced.

Cheers
    Ryan

Highly recommend Barney's course, especially if you are just getting into the game.

I've been using the Geo Ballistics/Weather Flow combo for the last season. Pretty good so far. The comp mode is great for PRS matches with multiple stages.

Page 1 of 27 1234567891121 ... LastLast