Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171820 ... LastLast

Thread: Garrison Petawawa PR Clinic 24-25 March 2018 Debrief Here!!

CGN frequent flyer Northern Amateur's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper26 View Post
    The box test is a simple test to make sure your scope tracks properly when you crank on the turrets, and returns to zero when you're done. Only really applies to scopes with target style turrets. On your hunting scope you'll just hold over.

At 100 yards fire 1 shot. Dial right a number of clicks, fire another shot and see if the number of inches matches the adjustment you just made. Dial up the same amount. Dial left the same amount. Dial down the same amount and you should be back where you started.
    Got it. Will try that. Thanks!

hey any spots left for 2 guys to come and shoot

Tactical teacher here: got lots of space for you....EMT away to cement your spot. I’m surprised as heck that it’s filling up this fast

Cheers, Barney
    Last edited by TacticalTeacher; 01-07-2018 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Amateur View Post
    Carry around or pull around? I was considering a pull cart to carry all my crap (matt, ammo, spotting scope and tripod, rifle, ammo, cooler, boots, miscellaneous gear). Is that allowed?

cheers,
    theres lots of moving between berms and whatnot. Unless you're physically unable to carry your gear, I would plan on carrying it. You don't need to haul coolers or spare boots around as you'll be able to re-load your pack at lunch. Heres whats in my 5.11 72hr pack:

- 2 mags
    - data book
    - 100rds of ammo
    - small tool kit (the Oh S*** kit...)
    - ear pro
    - goretex rain suit
    - spare under-layer
    - bug dope/sunscreen
    - rear bag
    - shooting mat

As Viper mentioned, be able to pack up quick and move to the next berm. Your setup doesn't need to be complicated, and worst case, any spare gear can be stored in your car (worst case..a 600m walk). As soon as you're done shooting and are cleared off the berm, toss everything in the bag, pick up your rifle, and start walking back to the next berm.

I echo Ryan's comments on the shooting mat/storage case. I use a homemade version of the Tab Gear Pollock mat which is essentially one layer of cordura and is only there to keep you from laying directly on the ground. It folds up insanely small and can be pegged down, offering some basic rain protection when you leave your gear on the line and are cycled into the butts. Guys have taken out dollar-store tarps for this purpose as well ($3).

Quote Originally Posted by deckerhead View Post
    Really ?..... I was in this morning !.....did not see them ?
    If I remember correctly they're on a shelf near the scopes and airguns by the back wall
    ...we're all here cause we're not all there...

Steven Tyler

Quote Originally Posted by chrisward3 View Post
    theres lots of moving between berms and whatnot. Unless you're physically unable to carry your gear, I would plan on carrying it. You don't need to haul coolers or spare boots around as you'll be able to re-load your pack at lunch. Heres whats in my 5.11 72hr pack:

- 2 mags
    - data book
    - 100rds of ammo
    - small tool kit (the Oh S*** kit...)
    - ear pro
    - goretex rain suit
    - spare under-layer
    - bug dope/sunscreen
    - rear bag
    - shooting mat

As Viper mentioned, be able to pack up quick and move to the next berm. Your setup doesn't need to be complicated, and worst case, any spare gear can be stored in your car (worst case..a 600m walk). As soon as you're done shooting and are cleared off the berm, toss everything in the bag, pick up your rifle, and start walking back to the next berm.

I echo Ryan's comments on the shooting mat/storage case. I use a homemade version of the Tab Gear Pollock mat which is essentially one layer of cordura and is only there to keep you from laying directly on the ground. It folds up insanely small and can be pegged down, offering some basic rain protection when you leave your gear on the line and are cycled into the butts. Guys have taken out dollar-store tarps for this purpose as well ($3).
    Thanks for the info. I am capable of carrying my gear, just don't want to. Ever shoot with a fella who uses the term "I'm too old for this shyte"? That's me

cheers,

For what it's worth, here's my kit drying out after a very wet PR match at Borden last May. This kit has evolved over 4 years since I took that first (fateful!) clinic with Barney and continues to develop.

Not shown is the Eberlestock Gunslinger II that it all goes into, battle belt, and my rain gear that was in the dryer. Also not shown was my Eberlestock shooting mat. I've since switched to an Armageddon mat as they are very compact.

I've refined it since then, as the PRS match in New Hampshire had us hiking up and down a mountainside and flying with this kit really makes you want to shed the unnecessary weight. For PR, I'll still take 5 mags, but I only take 3 for PRS.

*Cheap CT rain poncho
    *Garbage bag
    *Beef Jerky and snacks
    *Bug dope and sunscreen
    *Rear bag (Gamechanger as well for PRS, although that might replace the small bag for PR)
    *Work Gloves
    *Ear and Eye pro
    *Wrist coach with many different types of markers
    *Sharpie
    *Rite-in-the-Rain pen and notebook
    *Small clipboard (PR only)
    *Chamber flag
    *Tools - now down to a Fixit stick kit, CLP, and the leatherman
    *Lens cleaning cloth and pen
    *Sling
    *Water
    *Monocular
    *WeatherFlow meter (added after this match)
    *Cellphone for ballistics app (not shown). In this case I'm glad it was weather resistant
    *1 x 5 round mag
    *4 x 10 round mags
    *100 rounds ammo
    *permits, letters of invite, etc
    *spare batteries
    *some empty ziplocs

For PRS I'll take a big bag as well as the aforementioned gamechanger.

Good advice from Chrisward3 though. Start with the basics and add in as you need.
    Last edited by Johnny Boom; 01-07-2018 at 12:29 PM.

^ Seeing that picture of your gear is making me ancy. Common March!

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTapin View Post
    ^ Seeing that picture of your gear is making me ancy. Common March!
    I've been getting a bit of cabin fever myself, but this is a great time to get equipment and ammo ready. I'm getting another barrel spun up for my match rifle next weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Boom View Post
    For what it's worth, here's my kit drying out after a very wet PR match at Borden last May. This kit has evolved over 4 years since I took that first (fateful!) clinic with Barney and continues to develop.

Not shown is the Eberlestock Gunslinger II that it all goes into, battle belt, and my rain gear that was in the dryer. Also not shown was my Eberlestock shooting mat. I've since switched to an Armageddon mat as they are very compact.

I've refined it since then, as the PRS match in New Hampshire had us hiking up and down a mountainside and flying with this kit really makes you want to shed the unnecessary weight. For PR, I'll still take 5 mags, but I only take 3 for PRS.

*Cheap CT rain poncho
    *Garbage bag
    *Beef Jerky and snacks
    *Bug dope and sunscreen
    *Rear bag (Gamechanger as well for PRS, although that might replace the small bag for PR)
    *Work Gloves
    *Ear and Eye pro
    *Wrist coach with many different types of markers
    *Sharpie
    *Rite-in-the-Rain pen and notebook
    *Small clipboard (PR only)
    *Chamber flag
    *Tools - now down to a Fixit stick kit, CLP, and the leatherman
    *Lens cleaning cloth and pen
    *Sling
    *Water
    *Monocular
    *WeatherFlow meter (added after this match)
    *Cellphone for ballistics app (not shown). In this case I'm glad it was weather resistant
    *1 x 5 round mag
    *4 x 10 round mags
    *100 rounds ammo
    *permits, letters of invite, etc
    *spare batteries
    *some empty ziplocs

For PRS I'll take a big bag as well as the aforementioned gamechanger.

Good advice from Chrisward3 though. Start with the basics and add in as you need.
    That helps a lot actually, thanks. I will bring more than I need and sort through what is essential leaving the rest in the truck. Of course I can't forget the items that I will forget. Make sense!

cheers,

I cant wait for the Clinic in March, It will be my first opportunity to get my new AX308 out to 600m, cant wait to get a .260 barrel done up but one thing at a time haha! I've been using a MEC backpack for the past few years and definitely think its time to find something a little more appropriate, I've been humming and hawing over the 5.11 over the 72hr pack for a while, Ill probably deal with that soon.
    "I shoot better in the rain" TT

“Be the head of a chicken not the tail of a bull” Toyzone