Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181921 ... LastLast

Thread: Garrison Petawawa PR Clinic 24-25 March 2018 Debrief Here!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nate.308 View Post
    I've been humming and hawing over the 5.11 over the 72hr pack for a while, Ill probably deal with that soon.
    My buddy carries the 5.11 Rush 72. Good choice!
    Good - Fast - Cheap:
    You can only pick two

Money sent, looking forward to.

CGN frequent flyer Northern Amateur's Avatar
    Another newbie question. When I am sighting in my rifle, do I sight it on the bench or prone position? I will assume prone as that is where we will be doing our shooting from. My understanding is there could be a difference of 1/2moa or more at distance between the two. Is that accurate? I would much rather sight in on the bench in January than lying down in the snow!!
    I got pretty thick skin so flame away

It's a fair question. I always zero my rifles under the conditions I intend to shoot them. My PR and F Class rifles are always shot from prone.
    Good - Fast - Cheap:
    You can only pick two

Quote Originally Posted by Viper26 View Post
    It's a fair question. I always zero my rifles under the conditions I intend to shoot them. My PR and F Class rifles are always shot from prone.
    Crap! Looks like I will be digging snow

cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Amateur View Post
    Another newbie question. When I am sighting in my rifle, do I sight it on the bench or prone position? I will assume prone as that is where we will be doing our shooting from. My understanding is there could be a difference of 1/2moa or more at distance between the two. Is that accurate? I would much rather sight in on the bench in January than lying down in the snow!!
    I got pretty thick skin so flame away
    If you know the position you'll be shooting from (in this case, prone)...then zero from there (and eliminate one possible error source).

Frank Galli at SnipersHide did a chrony test between MVs shot from bench and prone, and found there was a difference (which will manifest itself as more drop the further you get out) between the two. I don't recall the reasoning, but I would assume its due to the recoil forces and Newton's 3rd law. A rifle in the prone will not be able to recoil as far back against a (more) solid platform, meaning more energy is directed away from the shooter. If on bench (or standing), that recoil will also force the shoulder and upper body to travel rearward, absorbing some of that energy.

CGN frequent flyer
    You should practise how you compete. Given it is winter, and we are blessed with snow, use the bench. When the snow disappears, use the prone position.

Thanks all. Range time for me is very limited as its a 3.5hr drive one way, limited to limited weekends. As the clinic is in March, I will probably get only one range visit in before hand. All good though. Got a whole weekend in March to shoot away!

Cheers

We are not jumping right into a competition, when we get to the shooting we will be zeroing our rifles at 100 then doing the walk back. If you are off by a half moa you can adjust it on the spot.

I say that but my first PR clinic we got bumped from the range on the Sunday so we jumped right into the match on day 1, in the rain. Quite the introduction to PR lol