Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141626 ... LastLast

Thread: Garrison Petawawa PR Clinic 24-25 March 2018 Debrief Here!!

Quote Originally Posted by Canada tail View Post
    just zeroed my new scope I got specifically for this. so pumped.
    Hello Canada tail:

Just curious, what scope did you purchase?

Regards,

Chizzy

Hey

So I got a Savage 10ba Stealth with carbine collapsible stock in 308win and mounted the Burris Eliminator III 3-12x on it. Would that work? Or do you think I should get 4-16x tactical type scope for this?

Thanks

CGN frequent flyer Northern Amateur's Avatar
    Ok, so I ordered up a bunch of brass (GD) and bullets (lapua scenars, 167gr HPBT). This bullet weight seems to work well in my rifle, at least at 100 yards. Other than a whole pile of Hirtenberger and various other cheaper ammo, I don't currently have on hand 200 rounds of the same decent cartridges so, am working up a load specific for this event.
    'If' I get a decent grouping at 100 yards and zero my scope, can I assume the same powder charge is used at a 1000 yards? No doubt obvious to some of you more experienced folks however I am also not one who is afraid to ask the 'stupid' questions . New to this whole long range stuff and it occurred to me I may be missing something.
    Seems to me if I can't group shyte at 100 yards, I don't have a snowballs chance in the demon world of hitting anything at 1000!

CGN frequent flyer Sherlock Gnomes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Amateur View Post
    Ok, so I ordered up a bunch of brass (GD) and bullets (lapua scenars, 167gr HPBT). This bullet weight seems to work well in my rifle, at least at 100 yards. Other than a whole pile of Hirtenberger and various other cheaper ammo, I don't currently have on hand 200 rounds of the same decent cartridges so, am working up a load specific for this event.
    'If' I get a decent grouping at 100 yards and zero my scope, can I assume the same powder charge is used at a 1000 yards? No doubt obvious to some of you more experienced folks however I am also not one who is afraid to ask the 'stupid' questions . New to this whole long range stuff and it occurred to me I may be missing something.
    Seems to me if I can't group shyte at 100 yards, I don't have a snowballs chance in the demon world of hitting anything at 1000!
    In general if you get a decent group such as 1moa or better at 100 yards you will have likely decent groups going out distances until the bullets start going subsonic and tumbling more. Given the 167 weight you should be okay out to 6 to 700 metres but then I think they will start to wander.

If you were to have a second load for longer distance shots you will need to know how much it affects your scope settings and would be a pain to dial in on the fly. Keep it simple in my book. Find your best load at 100 and bring it.
    I am new(ish) to long distance so if someone with more experience than my own can correct if I am wrong please do so.
    Real men use peep sights

Quote Originally Posted by Sherlock Gnomes View Post
    In general if you get a decent group such as 1moa or better at 100 yards you will have likely decent groups going out distances until the bullets start going subsonic and tumbling more. Given the 167 weight you should be okay out to 6 to 700 metres but then I think they will start to wander.

If you were to have a second load for longer distance shots you will need to know how much it affects your scope settings and would be a pain to dial in on the fly. Keep it simple in my book. Find your best load at 100 and bring it.
    I am new(ish) to long distance so if someone with more experience than my own can correct if I am wrong please do so.
    Thanks and I did consider using a heavier bullet for reasons you mentioned. Figured a heavier bullet would be more stable at longer distances. Of course, I am just reading and applying my own form of common sense! However, heavier bullets don't seem to shoot as well at a 100 yards in my rifle (1-10 twist) so I figure use what does work.

Either way this is going to be a blast, even if I'm shooting 'barn door' MOA.

Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Amateur View Post
    Resting after a day of Costa Rica adventure yesterday. I found myself ejected from the raft and then rapids swimming...I certainly got my money’s worth of adrenaline in that dump. Been bounced around along the volcanic canyon walls and my body is feeling it....so I can answer your concerns and questions before flying back home to YYZ tomorrow, Friday.

Funny how sitting hallways submerged inside a rafting tube yer bum hangs out the bottom and identifies every submerged rock beneath the surface of the rapids. Hahahaha

Where do I start?

Years ago back in the 80’s we shot USA NM Service rifle course of fire. Our team choose to run with the 168 grain booolit with 43 grains of W748 ball powder. That was the prescribed Team Ammo load. We did not shoot north of 600 yards (American rules) and that was that.... many decades later booolit development has progressed by leaps and bounds giving us shooters a myriad of choices such as the 155 gr and 175 gr and 178 gr and 190 gr SMK. We are no longer bound by the 168 gr SMK that I had to shoot.

Since I’m only punching paper out to 1000 yards with my 308, I choose to shoot the 155 gr Amax booolit. Hey I’m not sponsored for ammo so I can buy whatever I want. Yeah there might be more booolits out there with better G7 BC values but I am a senior on a fixed income...

Here comes the horror story....for decades we shot PR matches at the Connaught Ranges with DCRA NSCC styles. As the volunteer Butts Officer on my non-shooting relays, I would always receive a Shzt Load of challenges from frustrated Mil and Police snipers at the 800m stages...

The 168 gr SMK was travel at a subsonic velocity and would SLAP that 4 foot target...no SNAP sound of a supersonic booolit overhead. The issued 168’s would be yawing and also arriving sideways. Groups opened up an d shooters would get mad at me after I denied all their challenges for say, a higher value....

Remember folks, your target marker is standing 800m closer to,your target than you are so we do have a better perspective to deny yer challenges...

For our purposes at PR matches in Bravo Range Garrison Petawawa, 600m is our longest range so the subsonic travel of a 168 gr SMK is no longer relevant, but once you come to my home range of Mons Range, Base Borden, all your 168gr issues will surface, and I will be your Butts officer.....and then say, I warned ya!!

Or maybe you want to travel closer to Montreal and shoot PR matches at the DCRA NSCC (google it) events in August of this year so that you can be annoyed by my legendary snoring.... NOW you better shoot any bullet but a 168 grain SMK

Okay I need a Costa Rican senorita to massage my lower back...damn I am getting old. Don’t do that!!

Hahahaha

Peace be to journey. Back in Canada tomorrow night!!

Cheers, Barney

Well Barney, it's a good thing you have a sense of humor. We have much to discuss!! I will try to keep these 167's in the sonic zone at 1000 yrds. Looking forward to meeting you and everyone else in March!

cheers,

CGN frequent flyer Sherlock Gnomes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalTeacher View Post
    Resting after a day of Costa Rica adventure yesterday. I found myself ejected from the raft and then rapids swimming...I certainly got my money’s worth of adrenaline in that dump. Been bounced around along the volcanic canyon walls and my body is feeling it....so I can answer your concerns and questions before flying back home to YYZ tomorrow, Friday.

Funny how sitting hallways submerged inside a rafting tube yer bum hangs out the bottom and identifies every submerged rock beneath the surface of the rapids. Hahahaha

Where do I start?

Years ago back in the 80’s we shot USA NM Service rifle course of fire. Our team choose to run with the 168 grain booolit with 43 grains of W748 ball powder. That was the prescribed Team Ammo load. We did not shoot north of 600 yards (American rules) and that was that.... many decades later booolit development has progressed by leaps and bounds giving us shooters a myriad of choices such as the 155 gr and 175 gr and 178 gr and 190 gr SMK. We are no longer bound by the 168 gr SMK that I had to shoot.

Since I’m only punching paper out to 1000 yards with my 308, I choose to shoot the 155 gr Amax booolit. Hey I’m not sponsored for ammo so I can buy whatever I want. Yeah there might be more booolits out there with better G7 BC values but I am a senior on a fixed income...

Here comes the horror story....for decades we shot PR matches at the Connaught Ranges with DCRA NSCC styles. As the volunteer Butts Officer on my non-shooting relays, I would always receive a Shzt Load of challenges from frustrated Mil and Police snipers at the 800m stages...

The 168 gr SMK was travel at a subsonic velocity and would SLAP that 4 foot target...no SNAP sound of a supersonic booolit overhead. The issued 168’s would be yawing and also arriving sideways. Groups opened up an d shooters would get mad at me after I denied all their challenges for say, a higher value....

Remember folks, your target marker is standing 800m closer to,your target than you are so we do have a better perspective to deny yer challenges...

For our purposes at PR matches in Bravo Range Garrison Petawawa, 600m is our longest range so the subsonic travel of a 168 gr SMK is no longer relevant, but once you come to my home range of Mons Range, Base Borden, all your 168gr issues will surface, and I will be your Butts officer.....and then say, I warned ya!!

Or maybe you want to travel closer to Montreal and shoot PR matches at the DCRA NSCC (google it) events in August of this year so that you can be annoyed by my legendary snoring.... NOW you better shoot any bullet but a 168 grain SMK

Okay I need a Costa Rican senorita to massage my lower back...damn I am getting old. Don’t do that!!

Hahahaha

Peace be to journey. Back in Canada tomorrow night!!

Cheers, Barney
    Spoken like the experienced man he is. Hence going for a 150 grain which is what I found locally.
    Real men use peep sights

CGN Ultra frequent flyer MartyK2500's Avatar
    Hi Barney, i was looking forward to this very much.
    Even got my new match barrel done in 308 so i could play with you guys (the debate between 6.5 and 308 was a tight one, and Petawawa gave the last reason to go 308 since only running one rifle).
    I never expected the first one in march, you got future dates available so i book my calender and make sure i get a Kestrel and some other stuff ready?
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by MartyK2500 View Post
    Hi Barney, i was looking forward to this very much.
    Even got my new match barrel done in 308 so i could play with you guys (the debate between 6.5 and 308 was a tight one, and Petawawa gave the last reason to go 308 since only running one rifle).
    I never expected the first one in march, you got future dates available so i book my calender and make sure i get a Kestrel and some other stuff ready?
    Cheers
    See this thread for dates: https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...s-DATES-Posted