Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161719 ... LastLast

Thread: Garrison Petawawa PR Clinic 24-25 March 2018 Debrief Here!!

Quote Originally Posted by deckerhead View Post
    How about those fancy range bags that converts to a shooting mat.....where does one look for those ? any input on brand or quality ?
    Once again, it's Cabelas . . . lol... Was there yesterday and saw that their tactical drag mat/case is currently 50% off. Not sure of the quality and how they compare to other ones, but it looked decent enough...
    ...we're all here cause we're not all there...

Steven Tyler

CGN Regular
    How about those fancy range bags that converts to a shooting mat.....where does one look for those ? any input on brand or quality ?
    I would highly recommend against these combo bag/mats. Over a day of shooting your mat gets covered in grass, dirt, dust, rain, snow etc. Then you go and wrap your nice expensive rifle and scope in it. Now when you get to your next firing position you get all set up load your mags and start the match. Half way through the match our action jams and you can not load a round. There goes half your points.

I recommend a solid backpack and light weight shooting mat. Then ether carry our rifle or pick up a sling. One other hint don't buy a black mat.

Quote Originally Posted by milkbone96 View Post
    Once again, it's Cabelas . . . lol... Was there yesterday and saw that their tactical drag mat/case is currently 50% off. Not sure of the quality and how they compare to other ones, but it looked decent enough...
    Really ?..... I was in this morning !.....did not see them ?

If it was easy......everyone would be doing it !!
    Member- CSSA , OFAH , Ducks Unlimited, OFMF

Continuing with questions......what is everyone using for a "Rucksack, 3 day pack, Assault pack to carry your kit around the range" ? suggestions , comments , reviews would be appreciated and helpful .
    Always used a 5.11 72hr pack. Fits more than what I need to carry around the range for a wknd. If you’re hauling your rifle around in a soft case from mound to mound, you could get away with stowing most of your gear in that case. Make sure you can carry lots of water, bug dope, and rain gear!
    Last edited by chrisward3; 01-06-2018 at 11:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisward3 View Post
    Make sure you can carry lots of water, but dope, and rain gear!

If it was easy......everyone would be doing it !!
    Member- CSSA , OFAH , Ducks Unlimited, OFMF

CGN Regular
    Continuing with questions......what is everyone using for a "Rucksack, 3 day pack, Assault pack to carry your kit around the range" ? suggestions , comments , reviews would be appreciated and helpful .
    The size of pack I have found that works best for a day of shooting is around the 30-36 liter area. This gives you enough room for 100+rounds of ammo, water, snacks, repair and firstaid kit, rain gear, shooting bags, and all the other stuff you might need. (The bigger the pack the more crap you carry that you won't need)
    I picked up a cheap condor bag last year and it lasted 1.5 seasons. It was still usable but zippers were braking, and stiching was loosening up. Think I paid 80 for it.

I have now switched to a Eberlestock halftrack. I did alot of resurch on packs before going with this one. Some of the features I like include
    1.the full front opening zipper. This allows you to access everything at the same time from top to bottom.
    2. A devider that splits up the main compartment. This allows you pack more efficiently and keep it organized.
    3. The side compartments are very useful for storing water and one side can hold a tripod system easily.
    4. The harness system on the pack is AMAZING. I attaches a strap to the bottom molle and then to a nice size buck then proceeded to drag the deer 2+ miles through a bush trail and field. I was tired as hell, but when it was all done the pack showed no sign of wear and was very comfy.

To put this in perspective I will shoot 3-5 two day PRS match, 5-6 ORA day matches, match direct Meaford and shoot/practice 1-3 times a week for a total of 3000+ rounds this season. So I need solid gear that won't fail. This pack goes for around 330 Canadian but I expect it to last me 10+years. I like the saying buy once cry once.
    If you plan to shoot a couple clinics/matches a year and hit the range as time allows then the $100-150 dollar bag will last a long time. I would also suggest looking on the EE for used packs. You usually can pick them up for a good price.

Cheers
    Ryan

CGN frequent flyer Northern Amateur's Avatar
    Carry around or pull around? I was considering a pull cart to carry all my crap (matt, ammo, spotting scope and tripod, rifle, ammo, cooler, boots, miscellaneous gear). Is that allowed?

cheers,

Think high speed - low drag.
    Get a solid pack, I use a 3-day assault pack. Pack light and always pack it the same way.
    Bring snacks, water, ammo, small tool kit, lightweight mat, support bag and most importantly Rain Gear!
    Leave the coolers and beach umbrellas for F Class
    Good - Fast - Cheap:
    You can only pick two

CGN frequent flyer Northern Amateur's Avatar
    Thanks everyone. Looks like a lot of my hunting kit will work here too. Another question: Ensure your scope can do the "box" test reliably. What's that??

The box test is a simple test to make sure your scope tracks properly when you crank on the turrets, and returns to zero repeatabley when you're done. Only really applies to scopes with target style turrets. On your hunting scope you'll just hold over.

At 100 yards fire 1 shot. Dial right a number of clicks, fire another shot and see if the number of inches matches the adjustment you just made. I usually do 20 clicks so I'm looking for 5 inches of movement. Dial up 20. Dial left 20. Dial down 20 and you should be back where you started.
    Good - Fast - Cheap:
    You can only pick two