Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Carrying firearm in a backpack

Quote Originally Posted by ethan120 View Post
    Any body have more information about carrying gun in BC during hiking?!
    Just FYI hunting regs only apply if you are hunting. But be aware that the legal definition of hunting is:

"hunt" includes shooting at, attracting, searching for, chasing, pursuing, following after or on the trail of, stalking or lying in wait for wildlife, or attempting to do any of those things, whether or not the wildlife is then or subsequently wounded, killed or captured,

(a)with intention to capture the wildlife, or
    (b)while in possession of a firearm or other weapon;
    https://www.bclaws.gov.bc.ca/civix/d...88_01#section1

So it may apply if you carry a gun or other weapon during your animal picture taking sessions etc.

Shawn

Well:
    depends on whether or not the firearm is Non Restricted, Restricted or Prohibited.
    it depends on what you were doing while on crown land or private property.
    It would depend on the permitted uses of the crown land, or whether or not you had the land owners permission while on the private property.

There certainly are circumstances when carrying a shotgun in a backpack while on crown land or private property could be legal.
    There are a grocery list of reasons why it might not be legal. You have not given enough information for anyone to give a decisive answer.

In addition to provincial laws which regulate hunting, and what firearms can be possessed and where under the pretense of regulating hunting, there are federal laws for possession, which include places where firearms can be possessed and under what circumstances.

Further there are regulations for the transportation, storage and carriage of firearms.

Lastly there are some very open ended criminal code sections that can be levied against you based on the officers discretion, such as S 86 (1) Careless Use, 88(1) possession for a dangerous purpose ("dangerous purpose" is interpreted broadly and can be anything the Police deem to be inappropriate) and S 90 Carrying concealed (yes, a back pack, even one that met the requirements of the transportation regulations, has resulted in people being convicted of carrying concealed), to name a few.

It should go without saying, but I will say it anyways, that there are pretty much no circumstances under which a shotgun in a back pack can be kept loaded. As silly as it might sound, strapped to the outside of the back pack, or slung on your body, will usually be more legal than in a back pack.
    Exactly right if your in BC. Shotgun on the outside of the backpack would be more legal I think but also way more noticeable and more likely to get you reported to RCMP or CO by do gooders.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Gatehouse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shawn View Post
    Just FYI hunting regs only apply if you are hunting. But be aware that the legal definition of hunting is:

So it may apply if you carry a gun or other weapon during your animal picture taking sessions etc.

Shawn
    Where the f@ck have you been shawn? Did I just not click on threads you are on or did you drop CGN for awhile?

Regardless, good to see you back and I hope you are well!
    375 Ruger is the NEW KING of the .375's. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    Where the f@ck have you been shawn? Did I just not click on threads you are on or did you drop CGN for awhile?

Regardless, good to see you back and I hope you are well!

Gone for a bit, life happened lol

Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by shawn View Post

Shawn
    Good post. It’s up to the CO’s discretion if he thinks one might be accused of hunting. You posted BC regs but other provinces have very similar wording.
    The most asinine quote in Canadian history;
    A “fringe minority” in truckers convoy with “unacceptable views” “don’t represent Canadians”

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Butcherbill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ethan120 View Post
    Any body have more information about carrying gun in BC during hiking?!
    Fill your boots as long as it’s not in a provincial or federal park, you’ll be better off with a sling vs. a backpack. If you’re dragging it around for animal protection or hunting you want it easy to access and not out of sight in a bag.

Thanks for your simple and short advice ��������

In Ontario I can have a shotgun with slugs or buck shot or a high powered rifle for wildlife defence but only during the off season for hunting once hunting season starts I can have a shotgun or small game calibre rifles so long as I have a small game permit once a big game season starts I can no longer have a rifle capable of takeing big game unless I hold a tag for bear moose or deer and can’t have slugs or buckshot with my shotgun. If you don’t have any form of hunting permit I can no longer have any firearm with me till after all the hunting seasons are closed

Uber Super GunNutz
    ^buy a wolf tag if your worried about it

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Butcherbill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    In Ontario I can have a shotgun with slugs or buck shot or a high powered rifle for wildlife defence but only during the off season for hunting once hunting season starts I can have a shotgun or small game calibre rifles so long as I have a small game permit once a big game season starts I can no longer have a rifle capable of takeing big game unless I hold a tag for bear moose or deer and can’t have slugs or buckshot with my shotgun. If you don’t have any form of hunting permit I can no longer have any firearm with me till after all the hunting seasons are closed
    Move to a normal province, problem solved lol.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast