Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 68910111213141516

Thread: Solid Copper Projectiles

Quote Originally Posted by Riven View Post
    308 for sure plus some 40 and 9mm for sure but something more like these.
    never seen a philips head bullet before
    TINVOWOOT

CGN Ultra frequent flyer jmichelin84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mike View Post
    never seen a philips head bullet before
    Reminds me of the woodleigh design
    Is it wrong to love the clack clack bang, but wanna run from a click tick lol

Quote Originally Posted by asco View Post
    To all the yahoos asking for copper slugs and “replica” bullets for .45-70, 44mag, 8x57

The “plentiful” load data you are looking at is wrong. The copper bullets are different (bigger) dimensions than lead.
    They have more friction, engage rifling differently, take up more space in the cartridge. Proceed with caution.

I’ve loaded for lead and copper, copper can be fickle. On the other hand it can deliver outstanding results.
    +1 We have been using pressed copper ammunition for training since 2011. Prior to 2011 my SIG 226R DAK in 40 S&W had 3000 rounds of copper jacketed ammunition fired through it. Since 2011 it has been fed a steady diet of pressed copper bullets and ended up being practically a smooth bore after 5000 rounds (according to my logbook). Every round I fired would keyhole and the accuracy suffered. With a new barrel everything is fine. My agency swaps out barrels far quicker now with pressed copper than they did with ammunition with copper jackets. To put it in perspective my prior issued firearm, a Beretta 96D in 40S&W had about 15 000 rounds of jacketed ammunition fired and the barrel was still fine. I guess this is not so bad if barrel changes are easy. I would be reluctant to use copper in any firearm with hard to replace/expensive barrels.

We had a lot of issues finding pressed copper ammunition that would function well out of our C-8s. We tried a few brands that would tumble or was not even remotely close to our point of aim with duty ammo.

We have an indoor range and the amount of copper swirling around us is pretty bad at times. The floor is covered with copper dust after each session and I can taste copper. It seems to clog up our air filters a lot faster. I acknowledge that lead poisoning is bad but I'm not so sure that exposure to copper is not without risks.
    Last edited by homer76; 04-19-2018 at 12:06 PM.
    It's not denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.

CGN Regular
    Ultra high BC 30 cal 155 gr!
    Haun0002

CGN Regular
    A 308 hunting bullet