Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: DA 50BMG Range Report

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Gatehouse's Avatar

DA 50BMG Range Report

I have had the DA50 BMG for a few weeks now, and here's what I have so far:

DA50 upper, DA lower. Magpul butt. Leupold MK2 3-9 scope. Bipod is mounted backwards so it doesn't collapse under recoil. The bipod system works fine but it's probably at it's limit. When Mystic Precision has their Mpod bipod available again I'll probably get one. Our range is only 475 yards so no need for a bigger scope than the 3-9 right now. If I get a NR lower when they become available, I might put a more substantial scope on it. The Leupy was just sitting in my shop so it got called into service.

We've been whacking some gongs with it, but figured I should also shoot a group, so I set up a target at 200 yards and shot 3 rounds. First 2 shots were good but last one was a bit off. Usually when I feel the shot not going correctly, I stop before completing the trigger squeeze, but it was too late. Still landed within the group but I'm not sure if it would have resulted in vertical stringing had I done better.

Ammo was IMI 661gr bullet, also from Canada Ammo

Just over 1 1/2" at 200 yards, center to center. Next time I use the long range I'll probably put up some paper at 475 yards just because I'm curious of the results, and 200 isn't very far for a .50 BMG. One 3 shot group doesn't definitively mean anything, although I was pretty happy to see that this rifle should do MOA. Not bad for a (relatively) inexpensive rifle with relatively inexpensive ammo. Although to be honest this rifle is mostly just for my guests to ring some gongs and experience something completely extraordinary, and it's DAMN capable of that!!!
    Last edited by Gatehouse; 08-04-2016 at 01:13 AM.
    375 Ruger is the NEW KING of the .375's. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

CGN Regular
    Very cool! so that's almost a $20 group,with "cheap" ammo...yikes!

Are you typically a great shot? Perhaps better ammo and a vice or bag, rather than a bipod could yield better results. For the price tag I wouldn't expect anything comparable to high end .50's, though, it still ain't cheap by any means.

I'm a decent shot from bipod, tripod, bags etc. Nothing special, just someone that has tested many handloads and rifles. I'm sure using a rear bag would have helped too, but I didn't have mine with me today and I really was just playing around. Still, it's a sub-MOA group. I think anything around MOA is adequate for this rifle. But no doubt, a sturdier bipod, better scope and premium ammo or handloads rarely hurts anything.

CGN frequent flyer FirearmsEnthusiast's Avatar
    Thanks for the range report!

I've been slowly doing load development for my DA50 Gen2 upper using 647gr pulled surplus bullets and am up to 227.5gr of H50BMG (in Hornady brass - this load is too hot for IVI brass) and it's looking like sub-MOA is consistently possible. I'll post some of my experiences in the next few weeks.

Super-fun to shoot, and always a "blast", so to speak!
    Are you saying I'm a "gun nut"? I prefer the term "Firearms Enthusiast"...

Super GunNutz
    Thanks for the report. I'm looking forward to finally getting out to try my DA/ATRS .50 as well. Cheers.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer freezer filler's Avatar
    Hey that's a nice rifle, can I borrow it?

Hey that's a nice rifle, can I borrow it? After Freezer?

CGN frequent flyer FirearmsEnthusiast's Avatar
    Have any of you other DA50 owners attempted to measure the chamber with a .50 modified case and OAL tool? I tried with both 647gr surplus bullets and the amazing (and amazingly expensive) Hornady 750gr AMAX and they didn't touch the lands until the base of the projectile was almost out of the case mouth! Not sure if all other .50s like the HS-50 or the LRT-3 have such long shoulder to ogive measurements...

Any thoughts?
    Are you saying I'm a "gun nut"? I prefer the term "Firearms Enthusiast"...

Quote Originally Posted by freezer filler View Post
    Hey that's a nice rifle, can I borrow it?

Quote Originally Posted by rains_zy View Post
    Hey that's a nice rifle, can I borrow it? After Freezer?
    If you have to ask to borrow this (as opposed to renting for fair compensation ) you probably can't afford the ammo anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by FirearmsEnthusiast View Post
    Thanks for the range report!

I've been slowly doing load development for my DA50 Gen2 upper using 647gr pulled surplus bullets and am up to 227.5gr of H50BMG (in Hornady brass - this load is too hot for IVI brass) and it's looking like sub-MOA is consistently possible. I'll post some of my experiences in the next few weeks.

Super-fun to shoot, and always a "blast", so to speak!
    Looking forward to your report! Although I'm a long time handloader, I don't know if I will end up loading for this. It's cool to read others reports though!

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast