Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ATN NVM14 Night Vision Monocular

It's pricey but I can't find any in Canada cheaper. So there's that.

Quote Originally Posted by kaos013 View Post
    for that price get thermal already, ridiculous pricing
    Thermal isn't perfect. It's bigger (unless you want terrible resolution), can't co-witness with a holo-sight like on that tavor pic, and doesn't work with lasers (ir or otherwise). Thermal can't see through glass either. So no scanning your yard for critters unless you wanna freeze outside.

Thanks NS for bringing this to Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Sa View Post
    Thermal isn't perfect. It's bigger (unless you want terrible resolution), can't co-witness with a holo-sight like on that tavor pic, and doesn't work with lasers (ir or otherwise). Thermal can't see through glass either. So no scanning your yard for critters unless you wanna freeze outside.

We confirmed that this unit is compatible with Spuhr NVG mount.

Quote Originally Posted by xdmer View Post
    Everyone should be out, this is more than double US MSRP, I think.
    Out
    FJT

I recently received my ATN NVM14-WPT and I’m quite happy with it. It’s clarity is exceptional, even without the use of the IR illuminator. I’ve tried both Gen 2 and Gen 3 monocles and goggles and I have to say that the black and white rendition seems to be easier to judge things such as shadows or depth of field from a white phosphor image intensifier tube. It just seems inherently easier for my eye to adapt to the imagery.

The auto-brightness function works well and keeps the operation of the unit foolproof. The simple ON/OFF/IR control knob is easy to access yet not prone to accidental manipulation.

Since it’s not milspec like PVS14 units, it does require ATN’s proprietary mounts. I picked up a Universal Helmet Mount and a Picatinny rail mount and find both are well constructed, easy to use and robust. The NVM14 seems just as sturdy externally as it’s milspec counterpart and performs just as well.

It is pricey, but you do get what you pay for. WPT is a cost effective solution in comparison to most Gen 3 products out there, and as stated earlier in this thread, it’s the lowest price you’ll find in Canada for a unit of this class.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Chumlee Bumsnag's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VinnyQC View Post
    Hahahha, I saw "MSRP$179.13". Was like WTF??? I want 2 and make binos! Heh, funny.
    Lol.I was reaching for the order link too.

For everyone complaining about price (and who likely have very little experience with night vision)...

• Night vision isn't cheap. Generally speaking, there are different generations and features for night vision that radically change pricing.
    • Gen 1 is garbage. Not worth spending money on.
    • Gen 2 is what you should start looking at. Personal recommendation would be a D-300 unit. Most Gen 2 items are now rated as "Gen 2+" nowadays. You'll be hard pressed to find anything except old used units in Gen 2. Aim around $1,000 USD for Gen 2+ new.
    • Gen 3 is what I would classify as the mainstream units for any serious use. Gen 2+ will do it, but Gen 3 is what you really need for target identification and acquisition at range for shooting. Looking around $3,000 USD for Gen 3 units. Gen 3+ units also exist.
    • White Phosphor units only exist in the Gen 3 and better range. ATN kinda misleads "WPT" White Phosphor Technology" as being a generation. It's not. Based off the stats of this unit, I'd say it's going to be comparable to an entry level Gen 3 unit. Good enough.
    • ITAR export limits in night vision from the USA essentially make it impossible to legally export night vision stuff from the USA for commercial resale. Units like the ATN one listed here are almost guaranteed to be coming from Europe. This will affect cost.

So yeah, Google the product model as provided by North Sylva before you start running your mouth about price. You'll see almost all the listings are from Europe. Prices ranging from €2,625 to €2,957, or about $4,226 - $4,761 CAD. So the North Sylva price is just fine. You gotta pay to play!

This unit isn't auto-gated, and has automatic brightness adjustment. I personally prefer manual brightness/gain adjustment. Automatic sometimes does things you don't want. I would definitely want auto-gating on a white phosphor unit though, generally they need to be implemented using a thin film design, making the intensifier more sensitive to bright light flashes. Could potentially damage your WP intensifier if it were exposed to say, a flashlight for more than a brief moment.

Side note: I'm not a huge fan of these housings. For some reason it seems most of the European manufacturers of night vision units are using older Rhino arm mounting systems. These wobble and aren't very secure. I'd love to see the newer dovetail system be more widely available in Canada. I know that some of the GSCI units can be had with the dovetail mounts now. I personally use a Norotos DDA and INVG for my ITT Gen 3 PVS-14. Works great. Super solid, almost no wobble. Can run flat out with the thing on my helmet and it won't even move.

Shown here with the ATN Goggle Kit.

Quote Originally Posted by North_Sylva View Post
    SKU#: NVMPAN14WI. MSRP$4289.21.

Picatinny mount. SKU#: ACMPAN14PCWM. MSRP$179.13.

Are there any dealers in Western Canada with these in stock? It would be nice to handle one before committing to it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast