Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just received my Licence and looking for people to point me in the right direction

Just received my Licence and looking for people to point me in the right direction

Hello Everyone,

I've received my License for PAL/RPAL and am looking to purchase my first hand gun. I was unable to find the information I needed (Please don't bash), if you could provide me with the answer or point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

What stores in Toronto can I purchase a Firearm at?
    Do you need to be part of a gun club to purchase a Firearm?
    Is it ideal to buy your first firearm in person at a store or online (Process?)
    What are some good safes that one can buy for storage of Firearms?

Thanks for taking the time to read my post,

Bleachway

CGN Ultra frequent flyer kodiakjack's Avatar
    It’s nice to shop in person, but pickings are slim in the big city. If you shop online, there’s some great vendors listed at the top of his page. Personal favourites are Canada ammo, sfrc, and tradex.

But more importantly, what are you hoping to buy?
    The Bee does not squander his time trying to explain to the Fly why honey is better than s**t. Each creature is content with the meal laid before them, so the Bee reserves his endeavor for those who know its worth.

If your up for a drive make a trip to London to check out Bulls eye. They are a site sponsor here so that's a bonus too. I purchased my first handgun from them a couple month ago.(smith and Wesson sd9) I was not a member of a range when I purchased but I joined one the day it was in my hands! And have already purchased a second off the ee here. It takes a good 3 weeks for the cfo to do the registration process, probably more currently because of the holidays so get on it!

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakjack View Post
    It’s nice to shop in person, but pickings are slim in the big city. If you shop online, there’s some great vendors listed at the top of his page. Personal favourites are Canada ammo, sfrc, and tradex.

But more importantly, what are you hoping to buy?
    Thanks man, I'll definitely be looking into those places.

What is the process of purchasing a firearm online?

I was gearing towards buying a G17, but plan on hitting a range to test out a couple of hand guns.

Quote Originally Posted by scott9001 View Post
    If your up for a drive make a trip to London to check out Bulls eye. They are a site sponsor here so that's a bonus too. I purchased my first handgun from them a couple month ago.(smith and Wesson sd9) I was not a member of a range when I purchased but I joined one the day it was in my hands! And have already purchased a second off the ee here. It takes a good 3 weeks for the cfo to do the registration process, probably more currently because of the holidays so get on it!
    Appreciate the information!

Will definitely keep Bulls Eye on the list if I can manage to drive up there.

They have a great website also for buying online

CGN frequent flyer JohnnyPython's Avatar
    Lots of stores in the GTA:

Al Flaherty’s, FOC in Ajax, Tenda. Ellwood Epps and Cabela’s is up the 400 in Barrie/Orillia.
    Bullseye London is a great online retailer.

Stack On gun storage lockers at Canadian Tire. Canadian Safe Manufacturing in Hamilton makes some pretty nice firearm safes.

AFAIK, you do not need to belong to a club in Ontario to purchase a restricted firearm. If you don’t belong to a club you can only dry fire in the basement.

CGN Regular
    Hello Bleachway,

I grew up with guns and my father has his prohibited license. However, I've only had my RPAL for about 6 months. To be honest when I first got my RPAL I felt a little shy going into a gun store and asking to look at a bunch of guns. So, my first purchase was online from T & T in BC and they shipped to Ontario. To be honest all of my purchases have been online. Here are some answers to your questions;

What stores in Toronto can I purchase a Firearm at?

Here are the ones I've used online (some are from TO but others are from across Canada. They all get shipped to your door so it really doesn't matter where they are from if you are shopping online);

www.gotenda.com/
    www.alflahertys.com/
    www.cabelas.ca/
    http://www.nordicmarksman.com/
    https://www.wanstallsonline.com/
    https://www.bartonsbigcountry.ca/
    http://tandtarms.com/

All of the above mentioned websites have been awesome and I would deal with all of them again.

Do you need to be part of a gun club to purchase a Firearm?

In Ontario you do not. If you are ordering online just leave that question blank. If the store really wants you to answer just put in the gun club you would like to join. As I said it is not needed but some online order forms do not allow you to proceed without filling it in.

Is it ideal to buy your first firearm in person at a store or online (Process?)

As mentioned above I have purchased all of mine online.

What are some good safes that one can buy for storage of Firearms?

I cannot answer that question. I'm using cabinets not safe's so I have my restricted trigger locked.

Best of luck with everything.
    Corey

Don’t ever worry about asking questions. You might get some funky or smart arse answers on here from time to time though. Lol.

If you haven’t spent a lot of time around firearms it might be a good idea to go to a store to see what you like. Handle as many of the guns you can. Ask a lot of questions. Don’t be shy about it. Best thing is to tell the sales folks you’re new to this and starting to look, 9 times out of 10 you’ll get someone who is more than willing to help. Do lots of research on the web. You’d be amazed at what is out there.
    Good luck with the search and enjoy you’re new gun if/when you get it.

I don’t know about ranges in Ontario, sorry.
    Get a safe/cabinet that is bigger than you need right now. (Once you start buying you’ll understand why!)
    All the storage info is available in the web about trigger locks etc.

CGN Regular
    Gun clubs will require you to take their safety training course, typically with a gun(s) they provide.

So, I suggest step #1 is join a club. You'll figure out better what you want, get good advice, and likely a chance to shoot someone elses during the process of joining a club.

Otherwise:. For target shooting, everyone needs a 22. Very few pistols are suitable. Amoung the few that are, are:

S&W Victory (typically the cheapest and nothing wrong with it)
    Ruger Mark I, II, III, or IV with adjustable sights. (11/45 model is NOT favoured for target shooting).
    Beretta Neos

... and shoot standard velocity 22lr ammo.

Do not trust the word "target" on others manufacturers products. I've list most of the suitable new 22s under $1,000.

I still suggest joining a club first. If it's a good club, you'll get all the advice you need (and more).

Pound of Fire
    Super Moderator
    Purchasing online is fine IF you know what you want...

I would suggest deciding what you want before jumping on a purchase...

Welcome to the fold, you will have fun for sure!

Cheers
    Jay
    Wing Nut

"No man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast