Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger #1 in 303 Brit

CGN Regular
    I bought one of the first run of 125, beautiful rifle, taken one moose with it. The price has increased quite a bit I see, mine was around 1250..

Quote Originally Posted by 98/29 View Post
    I never understood the fascination with .303 British. Specially for hunting when it has a hard time dropping anything larger than a sheep past 200 yards.

Has there been a new development on this round that I'm unaware of? New bullet design maybe?
    According to my grandfather, it was good enough to drop a German officer at 600 yards. Moose at 300 shouldn't be a problem.
    "I probably don't know half as much about this as I think I do."

Quote Originally Posted by John Y Cannuck View Post
    The 303 is only slightly less powerful than the 308, and has the ability to stabilize heavy bullets most 308's can't. It's also capable on game as large as moose, FAR past 200 yards, if the shooter knows his distance, and trajectory.
    The round was carried by Canadian service men in both world wars, and a number of other wars,going back to the boer war. That alone makes it a desirable round for Canadian Gunnutz.
    inherited my father inlaws .303, and have used it for hunting. nostalgia + Canadian history in a cartridge that is capable of harvesting any game in N America plus your notes above

Quote Originally Posted by John Y Cannuck View Post
    The 303 is only slightly less powerful than the 308, and has the ability to stabilize heavy bullets most 308's can't. It's also capable on game as large as moose, FAR past 200 yards, if the shooter knows his distance, and trajectory.
    The round was carried by Canadian service men in both world wars, and a number of other wars,going back to the boer war. That alone makes it a desirable round for Canadian Gunnutz.
    I'm well aware of the history of the round, and I love shooting my Enfield but to desire this round in a new fire arm because of it's history seems illogical to me. It isn't exactly cheap and I don't think there is anymore surplus of it available and when there was nobody wanted them for a good reason. It's an outdated cartridge if you looked at with no sentimental investment. So I thought maybe something new has been discovered about it that would get people excited about having a new fire arm chambered for it.

Didn't mean to offend anyone, I was genuinely curious. Seems to me that interest is more sentimental than practical.
    Follow through isn't just a shooting fundamental, it's a life skill.

I'm well aware of the history of the round, and I love shooting my Enfield but to desire this round in a new fire arm because of it's history seems illogical to me. It isn't exactly cheap and I don't think there is anymore surplus of it available and when there was nobody wanted them for a good reason. It's an outdated cartridge if you looked at with no sentimental investment. So I thought maybe something new has been discovered about it that would get people excited about having a new fire arm chambered for it.

Didn't mean to offend anyone, I was genuinely curious. Seems to me that interest is more sentimental than practical.
    .303 does not kick much and is fairly pleasant to shoot. A .308 may be newer and more efficient, but a rimmed .303 fits perfectly with a #1 action.

Not everyone likes a kicking 30-06 or 300wm.

RichPoorMan
    Super Moderator

No offense taken. The 303, in a modern rifle, doesn't stretch cases as badly as it does in an old military chambered rifle, it also is more accurate. Rimmed cartridges in general have been replaced by rimless varieties for most activities, however, they are still just as effective as they always have been. More so in a new rifle, with a sporting barrel, and chamber.

I'm retired. I'd love to buy this rifle, but if I did, my wife would have to go to prison for my murder.
    Bush hunter!

Quote Originally Posted by stuckon308 View Post
    I know a guy who's looking for one in 6.5 Creedmoor. Any chance you've got one hiding somewhere?

This is not a joke.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer stuckon308's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by czechsanchez View Post
    I really don't know. I was asked by his nephew to find him one. I can't even find them available other than in the states. The heart wants.....?

I wish Ruger still had a #1 in 45/70, something about a big bore falling block.

Could you safely hot load the 303 in this thing?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast