Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mosin Barrel (Gunsmithing Services)

CGN Regular
    ...nevermind.

Good luck on the build eh?

CGN Regular
    I have a $200 dollar round receiver mosin, to which i added a $2-300 archangel stock in black, that needed painting to tan $20. Then the Chinese repro of the PU sniper scope and mount $200 plus the experience of drilling and tapping the receiver (straight i might add). A Chinese bipod $50. A 9 port muzzle brake, locally manufactured $200 installed. Used it that way for a while, and decided the barrel was too long, thinking that a shorter barrel would be stiffer= better grouping. 7" off the barrel= cut, crowned, re threaded to larger thread size(because larger barrel dia.). Install different front barrel band and sight. Re thread, and re install the muzzle break $250. Bend and lengthen the bolt handle (done at home) Could probable sell the package for $300, but i am not done yet, want to upgrade the optics to Dragonov rangefinder reticle scope. So....... $1000 plus, and worth every penny when i put on my long wool trench coat, and wool hat for shooting in the winter. Ha.Ha.Ha. have fun out there, and keep it enjoyable.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grove View Post
    The MFS soft point ammo I use for hunting put down my whitetail buck at just over 200 yards no problem.

Blew out both lungs really well and dropped dead maybe 40 feet away.
    Fair enough. Can't really argue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by r34skyline View Post
    Other than surplus I haven'f seen cost benefits of 54r vs 308 or 30-06 in commercial loading. And your statement of handloads apply to the cartridges i just mentioned. But yes if you wanna blast surplus stuff it definitely wins costwise.
    MFS 7.62x54r is listed at $16 at Wolverine. Canadian Tire used to carry it around these parts too for about the same price. I haven't noticed it lately, but I don't look for it anymore either so its quite likely still there. I'm sure some LGS will have it too. $6 or $8 a box cheaper than 3006 is a notable amount, its like getting a free box of ammo every 2 or 3 boxes bought.

I feel like this is really a depends-what-you-want sort of thing. If you are after a cheap rifle for hunting, then a budget factory rifle like a Savage Axis or Rem 783 is probably the better option, However if you want something to tinker with, The mosin isn't a bad place to start if you want to do it on the cheap. The problem I see, (as outlined by 65cutlass) is you can quite easily spend over $1000 on something like this, at which point I question whether the mosin is the right choice as a starting point if you're going to spend that kind of money.
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

Attachment 140149

Mosin came pre chopped, I cut it straight, crowned it and will range test before paint.
    I have another in a thumbhole stock.
    Paid 250$ for the pair in a box of parts.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Don't count on a store bought out shooting a good Mosin..........the 91/30 snipers shoot very well in spite of the caveman 3x scope.A custom build should shoot even better.

I like to shoot A LOT when I go out most times so burning through 200+ rounds of surplus ammo turns my crank no problem and I'm not taking a huge hit to the bank compared to shooting 8mm Mauser or .303 Brit.

1943 Mosin Nagant 91/30 Round Receiver.
    TrueShot Mosin SeeThru Scope Mount.
    Archangel Chassis.
    Nikon Buckmaster 4-12x50 Optic.
    Timney Trigger.
    Bent Bolt Kit.

Safe to say I'm $1000 into this gun but I don't care.....I could clearly buy a MVP Scout or Gunsite Scout but I like Mosins a bit more.

I'm pretty passionate about my firearm lifestyle (Beyond a hobby now) so the dollar figures don't bother me too much anymore, I really enjoy the process of giving a gun a new purpose or capability.

Turned a run of the mill mass produced infantry rifle into a decent rig for hunting in any climate as well as a fun big boomer for plinking.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mbogo3 View Post
    Don't count on a store bought out shooting a good Mosin..........the 91/30 snipers shoot very well in spite of the caveman 3x scope.A custom build should shoot even better.
    Most cheap guns can shoot MOA or better with hand loads these days. My Axis is MOA or better, and it cost a whole $235 after rebate back in 2014 (with a scope, rings and mounts no less)

Sure, a 91/30 sniper worth like $1000+ would be good, but most mosins you'd want to chop up for a project such as are not at that level. Don't get me wrong, it is possible to buy a $200 mosin still dripping with cosmoline that will shoot MOA with handloads. But on average an Axis, Rem 783, ect will be at least if not more accurate.

If you want to sink $1000+, you'll get farther with a Stevens 200 action and a match grade barrel for the same price (or less) IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Grove View Post
    I like to shoot A LOT when I go out most times so burning through 200+ rounds of surplus ammo turns my crank no problem and I'm not taking a huge hit to the bank compared to shooting 8mm Mauser or .303 Brit.

1943 Mosin Nagant 91/30 Round Receiver.
    TrueShot Mosin SeeThru Scope Mount.
    Archangel Chassis.
    Nikon Buckmaster 4-12x50 Optic.
    Timney Trigger.
    Bent Bolt Kit.

Safe to say I'm $1000 into this gun but I don't care.....I could clearly buy a MVP Scout or Gunsite Scout but I like Mosins a bit more.

I'm pretty passionate about my firearm lifestyle (Beyond a hobby now) so the dollar figures don't bother me too much anymore, I really enjoy the process of giving a gun a new purpose or capability.

Turned a run of the mill mass produced infantry rifle into a decent rig for hunting in any climate as well as a fun big boomer for plinking.
    Now thats what I'm talking about. If thats what you wanna do, its a great candidate. As I say, I've thought of doing something similar myself (although I'd go with a scout scope setup probably). I just don't get the guys who think dumping $1000 on bolt on parts will turn a mosin into match grade rifle.
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Magellann's Avatar
    ^^^It looks pretty good dressed up like that. Mine will usually shoot 4 out of 5 shots in a nickle size group at 100 yards, theres always a flyer in the group. Not bad for a surplus rifle.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    A couple of friends and myself purchased around 80 Mosins and I shot my 1/3 rd of them before selling and none was over 2" for 3 shots at 100 yards with PRC ball.Visually hand picked mind you.Several under an inch and lucky me a Tula ex-sniper PEM in of all things 1942 .75 with irons.Quite rare as less than 8000 made that year due to Nazis .I kept only the PEM and another Czarist one.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by nagol View Post
    Attachment 140149

Mosin came pre chopped, I cut it straight, crowned it and will range test before paint.
    I have another in a thumbhole stock.
    Paid 250$ for the pair in a box of parts.
    Nice ..and good deal..

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast