Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mosin Barrel (Gunsmithing Services)

Mosin Barrel (Gunsmithing Services)

Picked up my barrel yesterday

Been working with High Caliber Services on a Mosin Nagant build that I am doing. It was shortened approx. 7 5/8" Re crowned and polished. I then removed the rear sight and sanded the barrel, so they could lathed and thread the barrel for a 5/8 24 muzzel brake (Matador Arms Hammerhead). Drilled and tap the receiver for the scope mount (True Shot) and cold blue it.

Awesome! One step closer.

UPDATE: Dec 31, 2017
    Test fitted the Archangle stock, Timmey trigger and scope today. Now to modify the bolt.

Last edited by 7.62x54R; 04-12-2018 at 11:27 AM.

Noce job !
    which stock ?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Magellann's Avatar
    It looks good so far. I'm surprised that a lot more Mosins are not sporterized in some way, they are a very good rifle base to work with.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer r34skyline's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Magellann View Post
    It looks good so far. I'm surprised that a lot more Mosins are not sporterized in some way, they are a very good rifle base to work with.
    Because by the time you are done bubbaing it up it will be just as much money to buy a more modern bolt action that outshoots it.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by r34skyline View Post
    Because by the time you are done bubbaing it up it will be just as much money to buy a more modern bolt action that outshoots it.
    Exactly.

If this is what you wanna make, then by all means do it. Its just a lot of work to get something that doesn't shoot any better than a $500 new gun. I've been thinking about getting a mosin and doing a bubba-sporter-scout rifle for a while now but I always end up buying something else when I actually have money in hand... I'll probably make one eventually...
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

Quote Originally Posted by r34skyline View Post
    Still cheaper to shoot the rifle a lot tho.

Box of 54R soft point 203gr ammo is under $20...lot of other guns you are looking at $35-70 depending on caliber.

Handloads can shoot very well if you got a nice barreled action.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grove View Post

Box of 54R soft point 203gr ammo is under $20...lot of other guns you are looking at $35-70 depending on caliber.

Is that ammo for under $20 any good though? I've heard mixed reviews, but I have no first hand experience so I wouldn't really know one way or the other. Also, most calibers you'd get in a $500 rifle (308, 3006, 270win, ect) have ammo available for $22-24 a box, so the price point isn't a big difference there. I can't say I've seen x54r ammo at walmart either...

Besides, if you're going to drop a few hundred bucks on smith work, is a few bucks difference in a box of ammo really a deal breaker?
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

Why doesn't someone makes a custom 7.62x54 bolt face for savage design, then just ream an appropriate barrel out and it's fine!
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -- George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Suther View Post
    Is that ammo for under $20 any good though? I've heard mixed reviews, but I have no first hand experience so I wouldn't really know one way or the other. Also, most calibers you'd get in a $500 rifle (308, 3006, 270win, ect) have ammo available for $22-24 a box, so the price point isn't a big difference there. I can't say I've seen x54r ammo at walmart either...

Besides, if you're going to drop a few hundred bucks on smith work, is a few bucks difference in a box of ammo really a deal breaker?
    The MFS soft point ammo I use for hunting put down my whitetail buck at just over 200 yards no problem.

Blew out both lungs really well and dropped dead maybe 40 feet away.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer r34skyline's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grove View Post

Other than surplus I haven'f seen cost benefits of 54r vs 308 or 30-06 in commercial loading. And your statement of handloads apply to the cartridges i just mentioned. But yes if you wanna blast surplus stuff it definitely wins costwise.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast