Thread: Minors PAL Questions

CGN Regular

Minors PAL Questions

To have an account on this site you have to be over 18 so lets say that hypothetically someone under 18 has their minors license and a vehicle. What are they able to do in terms of buying, transporting, and discharging a non-restricted firearm?

The rules say that licensed minors can buy ammunition as long as there is no provincial regulation against it, but I am unable to find the Alberta regulations on minors buying ammunition. Can someone please post a link that shows the regulations?

Also, What I gathered from reading everything I could find online, minors (with their license and a signed note) can only transport NR firearms from one adult with a PAL to another adult with a PAL and discharge the firearm while accompanied by the licensed adult. The problem with this is that during my in class PAL course I was told that a minor would be able to discharge the rifle by himself. After researching online and finding nothing saying that a licensed minor could discharge a firearm by himself I called the Canadian Firearms Program. I talked to two different people. The first person didn't sound too sure but said that a minor could take a firearm and discharge it by themselves as long as they had a note signed by their parent/guardian. Just to make sure I got the correct information I called back and spoke to another lady who said that a minor could indeed take a non-restricted firearm and discharge it by themselves. I've been told it is okay by everyone i speak to but when I read online it says that it isn't okay. Can you guys please clarify this for me? Thanks a lot.
    Last edited by K.s.47; 01-02-2018 at 02:52 AM.

In Ontario someone with a Minor's license can be in possession of a NR firearm and also purchase ammo as long as the store doesn't have a policy that requires them to be 18. (CT)
    For the first year the minor has the condition that they need to be with an adult who holds a valid PAL. After the first year the parent can call the CFO and have this condition removed. I think after this condition is removed the only difference between a minor pal and a regular one is the ability to purchase or acquire firearms. The minor can only be in possession of a borrowed firearm.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer kodiakjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lipervitch View Post
    In Ontario someone with a Minor's license can be in possession of a NR firearm and also purchase ammo as long as the store doesn't have a policy that requires them to be 18. (CT)
    For the first year the minor has the condition that they need to be with an adult who holds a valid PAL. After the first year the parent can call the CFO and have this condition removed. I think after this condition is removed the only difference between a minor pal and a regular one is the ability to purchase or acquire firearms. The minor can only be in possession of a borrowed firearm.
    Which, with NR, is impossible to ascertain.
    The Bee does not squander his time trying to explain to the Fly why honey is better than s**t. Each creature is content with the meal laid before them, so the Bee reserves his endeavor for those who know its worth.

CGN Regular
    Okay thanks for the explanation