Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Getting any #1's in .22?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Got Juice?'s Avatar
    Ruger No.1's are a feast for the eyes. Graceful lines, well balanced, beautiful wood. Triggers are decent, and there is something about loading ONE cartridge into a breech locking firearm that is akin to loading a WW2 Artillery piece.
    Finely crafted, everything operates with just the right tactile feel, from the locking and unlocking for the breech, the steady pace of the falling block, and the smooth feeding directly into a chamber you can look into.
    They are not to everyone's taste. You can purchase a bolt gun that will shoot as well or better for 1/2 the price. But some things are worth more than the sum of their parts or functionality.

A fun test is this (especially with hunters) 10 round challenge at 150m. Everyone shoots 10 rounds into a target. The No.1 will do this easily, where a single magazine in a rifle takes time to reload, and insert and fire. But the No.1 handles this task easily.

Love these guns. They maintain a cult following not unlike the Venerable 1911 or GLOCK pistols.

To own one is to know
    Envy green is not a color well worn. Might want to quit while you're ahead

Quote Originally Posted by Prophet River View Post
    Or, it wasn't supposed to come out until SHOT....
    What if you showed up to SHOT with a double handful of DEPOSITS? Would that help?

Quote Originally Posted by Prophet River View Post
    Our Rep at lipseys says the 22 lr is a misprint.
    Interesting misprint... since it has the Rate Of Twist correct....

From what I've heard, Lipsey's IS NOT the sole Ruger distributor anymore, and Talo has cut a deal with Ruger for their own "special editions", so this may create a bit of a "financial burden" for those of us that are "#1 aholics". The Shot Show will confirm all the rumours or disappoint us!!

Clay, you may have to make nice connections with Talo!

Just so Clay has something to leverage a few, .........Who's in for a #1 in .22 lr? I'm in right now for at least one, maybe two.
    "A stranger is a friend we haven't met!"

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
    From what I've heard, Lipsey's IS NOT the sole Ruger distributor anymore, and Talo has cut a deal with Ruger for their own "special editions", so this may create a bit of a "financial burden" for those of us that are "#1 aholics". The Shot Show will confirm all the rumours or disappoint us!!

Clay, you may have to make nice connections with Talo!

Just so Clay has something to leverage a few, .........Who's in for a #1 in .22 lr? I'm in right now for at least one, maybe two.
    I have to have one. I wonder if sending along a deposit is not a bad idea?

I dunno where I am but I know where you can stick it
    Quote Originally Posted by fire@will View Post
    Ruger's #1's have an almost "cult" following. It's a really nicely made, falling block (single shot) that is extremely strong. They can be had in almost any calibre you can think of - until you get into the double barrel "dangerous game" calibres. Ruger's been making them for many years and continues to build them. Any serious gun guy, owns at least one - and some own several.
    Don't know if that helps - but it's one person's opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by propliner View Post
    I ike that quote. It's true. Only the serious gun guys I know have one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Got Juice? View Post
    Ruger No.1's are a feast for the eyes. Graceful lines, well balanced, beautiful wood. Triggers are decent, and there is something about loading ONE cartridge into a breech locking firearm that is akin to loading a WW2 Artillery piece.
    Finely crafted, everything operates with just the right tactile feel, from the locking and unlocking for the breech, the steady pace of the falling block, and the smooth feeding directly into a chamber you can look into.
    They are not to everyone's taste. You can purchase a bolt gun that will shoot as well or better for 1/2 the price. But some things are worth more than the sum of their parts or functionality.

A fun test is this (especially with hunters) 10 round challenge at 150m. Everyone shoots 10 rounds into a target. The No.1 will do this easily, where a single magazine in a rifle takes time to reload, and insert and fire. But the No.1 handles this task easily.

Love these guns. They maintain a cult following not unlike the Venerable 1911 or GLOCK pistols.

To own one is to know
    Well thanks for the info. It's FAR from my cup of tea, but with that info in mind I have more respect for it. I do have to debate that any serious gun guy owns one, because I do think that the times change and what "serious gun guys" are into isn't going to be the same in the future as it was in the past. BUT it seems like it has at least a few pros for a single shot rifle, and I appreciate any strong action.
    Lois can't stop me from experiencing the manic highs and lows my body demands.
    Kerosene is fuel, Brian. Red Bull is fuel. Kerosene is Red Bull.

Quote Originally Posted by p.Rundle View Post
    Well thanks for the info. It's FAR from my cup of tea, but with that info in mind I have more respect for it. I do have to debate that any serious gun guy owns one, because I do think that the times change and what "serious gun guys" are into isn't going to be the same in the future as it was in the past. BUT it seems like it has at least a few pros for a single shot rifle, and I appreciate any strong action.
    I used to be in the camp of “why have one of these expensive single shot guns” until I bought one. And then another. And another.
    That being said it is not a rifle for everyone And no need to justify having/not having one to anyone. I do however encourage people at the range to shoot a few through mine. You can tell by the 3rd or 5th shot if it works for them or not. The worst part of a single shot rifle is cost. Twice as good as a bolt action? Twice as accurate? Hardly the case but there is something alluring about them that cannot be quantified in a dollar amount.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer FLYBYU44's Avatar
    I have always wanted one, I should have bought one when they were closer to $1000 than $2000. But I thought it was way to much at the time..
    I like guns....

CGN frequent flyer
    What is the difference between the 2 models listed? They are both listed the same.
    Happy Shooting, Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Underthegun View Post
    What is the difference between the 2 models listed? They are both listed the same.
    Until they are seen in the flesh, who can tell. Hopefully one std barrel contour and then a varmint barrel

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast