Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking to start reloading.

I just started reloading 44mag and 44 special. I got an RCBS rock chucker supreme kit for 360, shell holder, powder stand, powder trickler, impact bullet puller and tumbler (used) for another 240.
    So start up for me was about $570.

Loading with Hornady bullets (about $47 and $42 per 100) my cost per round is about $0.67 for 44m and $0.63 for 44s.

The kit came with a Nosler reloading book and there's lots of resources out there. There's a Facebook group call the reloading room with over 30k members. It's a handy group for all sorts of questions.

Hi. Smokey123 here. When you eventually care about accuracy and group size, follow these tips. Slug your barrel to learn bullet size, use same make of brass, measure O.A.L. of brass, clean and deburr primer pocket, ensure bullets are all same weight (within .01/.02). There are more tips but lost in my head(ask forum). If you go to gun shows and see a really good deal on handloaded ammo, buy it but don't use it in your firearm. Pull all of it and use brass and bullets. Dump powder and de-prime. You don't want to acc. blow up your firearm or yourself All I can think of right now. Finally, ask forum if they concur. Good luck. Smokey123

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Rocket Surgery's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by K.s.47 View Post
    Hey guys I've been shooting for a while now and I'm thinking it would be worth it to start reloading. I don't have a lot of money to spend so I was wondering if you guys could make a short list of all the things I would need to start so I can look up the prices. I'm looking to reload .308 and maybe some .45 in the future. I would probably go for a single stage because it's cheap is people say it's good to start on. Thanks for the help.
    The Lee turret press can be used as a single stage, but it can also produce about 150-250 rounds of pistol per hour. I've done tens of thousands of rounds on mine and haven't had a single issue. I believe they're also very cheap. I highly recommend staying away from the Dillon products, after trying to use them myself, and seeing the people having constant issues they are not something I would recommend. I've been reloading for close to 15 years now and owned about 9 presses; Hornady, Dillon, and Lee. I think you can get into reloading 308 for a good price, just make sure you save your brass!

EDIT: The first step is to download a book on reloading, the Lyman manual isn't bad.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Gnome75's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by K.s.47 View Post
    Hey guys I've been shooting for a while now and I'm thinking it would be worth it to start reloading. I don't have a lot of money to spend so I was wondering if you guys could make a short list of all the things I would need to start so I can look up the prices. I'm looking to reload .308 and maybe some .45 in the future. I would probably go for a single stage because it's cheap is people say it's good to start on. Thanks for the help.
    This sounds like it might be helpful for you.

https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...Loader-Classic

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Rocket Surgery's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnome75 View Post
    This sounds like it might be helpful for you.

https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...Loader-Classic
    These kits are great, I have one, but would like to get another in 16 gauge.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer nomad 68's Avatar
    NS,Alberta and sometimes, points in between
    I see you're in Edmonton OP. Check with the local shooting and hunting clubs and inquire about reloading work shops. I would have to think there would be some going on.

There's some interesting staff about reloading on youtube....check it out

CGN Regular
    Right now Lee is offering their 50th anniversary kit for less than two hundred bucks, this will give you everything you need to get started, available from numerous retailers, X Reload, Cabelas, Amazon etc. and many dealers listed on this site. All you need in addition is a set of dies and components. Read as much as you can, get the Hornady and Lyman reloading manuals would be my two top choices, youtube is excellent as well vast amount of information there. I've been a hand loader for almost 50 years and is a fabulous hobby into itself. You won't be saving any money but you will be able to shoot a lot more for the same price your spending on factory ammo. Factory ammo is an over priced ripoff. Shop around for your components, prices vary considerably. Start small and work into it, as you become more knowledgeable you will add and upgrade accordingly. One tip, Canadian Tire has the best prices on powder currently. Enjoy, you won't regret getting into reloading!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer fiddler's Avatar
    Find a local buddy who reloads and walk you through the process before you buy. Its much easier to make a purchase when you fully understand what you are buying and what is needed.
    When all else fails, Bark like a dog !

Lots of videos on YouTube as well covering reloading. Some times actually seeing the process helps rather than just reading about it.

Reloading adds a whole dimension to the hobby of shooting.

Cardinal rule is to check and double check everything. Don't reload if you have limited time or preoccupied with other things in your life. Reloading requires your full and undivided attention at all times. If your not a 'detail' kind of person I would not recommend it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast