Thread: Shotguns, Chokes & Slugs

Shotguns, Chokes & Slugs

Hi I just recieved my first shotgun, specifically the Derya Mk 10 and I have a couple questions. The range I go to only allows the use of slugs and I'm wondering if I should be using rifled or non-rifled slugs? Also, am I suppose to use a choke? the gun came with a choke I believe and I heard I'm not suppose to shoot slugs without one (i cant tell what kind of choke it came with and is it hard to install a choke?). Lastly, does anyone have any idea what the tube underneath the barrel is for? Thanks!

here is a picture of the shotgun in question: https://imgur.com/a/iRW4l

OK for starters don't use Sabots which are only for rifled barrels. Next you probably want to use rifled slugs and use a modified choke or improved cylinder. As for range I'm betting 25 yards tops.
    "This is about unenforceable registration of weapons that violates the rights of people to own firearms."—Premier Ralph Klein (Alberta) Calgary Herald, 1998 October 9 (November 1, 1942 – March 29, 2013) OFAH Member

CGN Ultra frequent flyer farmer47's Avatar
    do not shoot the gun without the choke installed . chokes are installed by turning them into the end of the barrel preferably with a wrench that is designed for installation.the best advice would be to get some one who is familiar with shotguns to give you some hands on advice as it sounds to me that you have no experience.the tube under the barrel allows the fore end to work back and forth to cycle the action. basically something to ride on. in a tube fed magazine gun it would hold the shells but as yours has a detachable mag that function is mute.slugs kick fairly hard and the higher the velocity and the heavier the slug the more recoil . i would start off using one ounce slugs and the lowest f.p.s. ones i could find. best of luck and welcome to the world of shotguns. oh by the way slugs travel a long way and are lethal on deer sized game out to a hundred yards plus.

I should also add carefully read the instructions to your firearm as well maybe watch some youtube videos I'm guessing where ever you took your course was not a very good instructor as some of this information is pretty basic as it was taught in my son's course.
    "This is about unenforceable registration of weapons that violates the rights of people to own firearms."—Premier Ralph Klein (Alberta) Calgary Herald, 1998 October 9 (November 1, 1942 – March 29, 2013) OFAH Member

CGN Ultra frequent flyer yomomma's Avatar
    You can't Go wrong using any ammo packed with a Foster slug. Meant to go through any choke.

https://youtube.com/c/YomommasWildlands

Quote Originally Posted by yomomma View Post
    Meant to go through any choke.

[IMG]http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=443772&d=1332436865[/IMG
    I wouldn't use them through extra full or turkey chokes...

Quote Originally Posted by farmer47 View Post
    do not shoot the gun without the choke installed . chokes are installed by turning them into the end of the barrel preferably with a wrench that is designed for installation.the best advice would be to get some one who is familiar with shotguns to give you some hands on advice as it sounds to me that you have no experience.the tube under the barrel allows the fore end to work back and forth to cycle the action. basically something to ride on. in a tube fed magazine gun it would hold the shells but as yours has a detachable mag that function is mute.slugs kick fairly hard and the higher the velocity and the heavier the slug the more recoil . i would start off using one ounce slugs and the lowest f.p.s. ones i could find. best of luck and welcome to the world of shotguns. oh by the way slugs travel a long way and are lethal on deer sized game out to a hundred yards plus.
    is what is currently on the end just a muzzle brake and not a choke?
    https://imgur.com/a/0dOMz
    this is the choke that came in the box and the slugs I have, so I must install this choke on before firing the slugs correct?

For slugs use whats on there already not the choke extension.

You could shoot slugs through the extension if you wanted, too. Depening how tight it is. Extra full might not be the best but it would still work. I wouldnt put slugs through extra full chokes on my own kit.

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerDanz View Post
    For slugs use whats on there already not the choke extension.

You could shoot slugs through the extension if you wanted, too. Depening how tight it is. Extra full might not be the best but it would still work. I wouldnt put slugs through extra full chokes on my own kit.
    thank you. So I'm good to go shoot slugs then

CGN Ultra frequent flyer yomomma's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B View Post
    I wouldn't use them through extra full or turkey chokes...
    Yes...correct. anything from cylinder to full.
    https://youtube.com/c/YomommasWildlands