Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another MIL or MOA question....

GunNutz
    Thanks for your responses.

^^^^Yes, I saw that chart. To me the MOA I don't read as 4 digits. I read see those elevations in fractions ie 16 and 1/2, 17 and 3/4 etc

So, if the majority of shooters use MIL and if you have MOA you end up as the "red headed stepchild" on the line....p

That being said I am pretty much decided on MOA/MOA.
    Last edited by TonyMo; 01-22-2018 at 08:46 AM.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by tinviper View Post
    Think of this , your bullet drop requires you adjust for 3.5 mils which you turn your turret .1 mil per click vs say 16.50 moa at 1/4 Moa per click. So that's a fast 35 clicks on the mil scope how many is that on the Moa system? 66? Complicated
    Don't count clicks. Learn to read the scales on the knobs.

Business Member
    Lots and lots of good information here... thank you. Even I learned something. I have to be able to explain these differences to newbies....

Cheers, Barney

First of all, these reticles have two functions, to identify your holdover/lead distances, and to estimate distance. First part, to me, is pretty much identical as there will be a table or app telling you how much to aim off center on y and x axis, or turn turrets. Second part, the distance estimation, depends on how you're comfortable with metric system vs imperial; at the end it is all ratios and one's capability to estimate the length/width of the reference object/target, they are useless for estimation if you don't have a target without known dimensions.

Other thing to consider, 1/4 MOA clicks represent a smaller measurement of distance compared to 0.1 MILs for a given distance . As an example at 100 yards, one click of 1/4 MOA is 0.26" while one click of 0.1 MIL is 0.36". At 1000 yards, moving your zero 10" up will require 4 clicks, while with a 0.1 MIL turret, 3 clicks will move zero up 10.8". So, if you want to have finer adjustment capability, MOA turrets are probably a better option.

How these effects my scope selection; all my hunting guns are MOAs as I can easily use a range finder and don't need to estimate distance with my scope (they are typically set to cover 200-250 meters without any adjustment). They are generally easier to find so might be a bit cheaper as well. My target rifles have a mixture of both MOAs and MILs; more MOAs though. Couple rifles that have MILs are put together for shooting long distances out in the bush with first focal plane reticles where I may not always get good reflection with range finder...

That first focal vs second focal plane is a whole another subject of discussion...!
    Last edited by aakoksal; 01-22-2018 at 12:25 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12