Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 80% lower receiver?

CGN frequent flyer

80% lower receiver?

Hi there,

following the Beowulf mags question, could you confirm wether or not FLD/Capri insurance would cover the legal costs of an insured individual who would be charged for possessing an 80% AR15 lower receiver?

Thank you,

Youza.

CGN frequent flyer
    Guys?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    I'm not entirely up to speed on this, but I think when they changed the rules on them you had to call in and register it or destroy it, and no new receivers can be bought.

So either you have a registered one, or you didn't register it when you were supposed to and you're now in possession of a prohibited device, or you illegally obtained one after the fact.

Possession of a prohibited device is not covered by their insurance.
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

RCMP please stop, this is getting embarrassing for you.

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Suther View Post
    I'm not entirely up to speed on this, but I think when they changed the rules on them you had to call in and register it or destroy it, and no new receivers can be bought.

So either you have a registered one, or you didn't register it when you were supposed to and you're now in possession of a prohibited device, or you illegally obtained one after the fact.

Thanks but i'm looking for an official answer, not one from somebody who isn't entirely up to this and "thinks" things. No offence.

Youza.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer onetwentyish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Youzawhale View Post
    Thanks but i'm looking for an official answer, not one from somebody who isn't entirely up to this and "thinks" things. No offence.

Youza.
    I think in this case it would have been appropriate to type your full handle...
    "I dont usually bring targets im more of a dirt shooter." -daniel_250r
    I am the "small fringe minority" with "unacceptable" views.
    CCFR 🍁 CSSA

CGN Ultra frequent flyer onetwentyish's Avatar

AR15 80% are arbitrarily prohib under the basis you may machine it beyond 100% semi. (Aka FA.)

However you can still buy all other means of 80% recievers/frames. Restricted based 80% recievers/frames are registered using a 'FIN' (firearms identification number) and the owner can put their own serial on it at a later date.
    "I dont usually bring targets im more of a dirt shooter." -daniel_250r
    I am the "small fringe minority" with "unacceptable" views.
    CCFR 🍁 CSSA

BANNED
    There is not a chance in hell that the crown could obtain a conviction on one of these things... I suspect this was more about stopping them at the border

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Aniest's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Youzawhale View Post

I am still waiting for the excellent Zach from Capri Insurance to answer other questions that may help.

However, I do see Suther's answer to be reasonable: Capri would cover having a registered 80% lower and then being charged with a prohibited device when the RCMP CFO already know about it, but Capri would not cover someone currently owning an unregistered 80% lower. The "80% AR Lower" is now prohibited and thus Capri does NOT cover intentionally breaking the law that you know.

One could argue that being on CGN and having the access to the knowledge here gives us a "more than reasonable" understanding of laws when "ignorance of the law is still no excuse" for breaking it.

You can wait for Zach's answer, and I implore you to do so, but when I have presented "reasonable common sense" to these questions in the past Zach has concurred.
    Check my "Started Threads" for Equipment Exchange ads: https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/member.php/76158-Aniest

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce-deuce View Post
    There is not a chance in hell that the crown could obtain a conviction on one of these things... I suspect this was more about stopping them at the border
    correct,good luck to the Crown to get a person convicted of a non-crime,no law,no crime,same reason they have never followed through with a person caught with a 10/22 mag over 10 round capacity,this RCMP bull#### about the 80% is THEIR OWN interpretation,scare tactics to bully law abiding gun owners as usual.like 80% really matter.a simple program on a CNC and you can make your own in an hour or two,so much for this 80% bullcrap stopping anybody who really wants to make his own lower,and with 3d printers becoming cheaper and cheaper,anybody will be able to make one on his kitchen table.but be warned if they catch you with an 80%.they'll try and cost you as much as possible in legal costs,unless you have criminal defense lawyers in the family or friends,which is nice,

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast