Thread: SHOT SHOW 2018: Bullpup 12 gauge shotguns

SHOT SHOW 2018: Bullpup 12 gauge shotguns

Most likely you have now heard of the new IWI TS-12 bullpup shotgun.

(The black gun. Tan one is new Tavor 7 in .308 Win)

What is interesting is that it is not the only 12 gauge bullpup to be displayed at SHOT this year.

In 2016, I covered a early prototype of the Sko-Bull from Standard Manufacturing Co.
    https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...-semi-12-gauge
    I saw it on display, but didnt get a chance to ask how it has progressed. I'll try again tomorrow.
    I do recall from last year that it was going to very expensive, over $2000 in the USA

In this close-up, you can see the layers of 3D printing.

From Turkey, I saw two different booths, each with their own style of 12 ga 'pup.
    At the Derya booth, they had two somewhat different versions of gun, the Derya N-100 and N-200
    The N-100 has a molded plastic/polymer lower, while the N-200 has an aluminum lower.
    I didnt get a chance to take it apart, so I may be a bit off when I refer to "the lower"
    The two versions look a fair bit different from each other, but I was told that the internals are the same.
    O'Dell Engineering is hoping to bring these to Canada. They have very recently submitted samples to the RCMP. Now we wait...

A few aisles over, I came across the Adler BP-12, also from Turkey.
    It also is being handled by O'Dell, and again, we wait for FRT classification...

Groovy gold and silver colours!

As far as observations, here are a few random thoughts:
    --The IWI TS-12 is a big goofy looking pig of a thing. I enjoyed the chance to be among the very first to fire it, but I had some issues with it. There is a release catch that has to be pressed to rotate the triple tube mag (3 tubes, 5 shells each). It is located at the front of the trigger guard, like the safety on a Garand/M-14/Mini-14. You need to push this with the very end of your trigger finger to rotate the mags around. Not a natural operation...
    More importantly, the mag tube serve as a foregrip for your off hand. I found I would fire two shots, then I would begin to rotate the mags a bit and the gun would stop! (Bolt in rearward position) I would then rotate it back to correct position, and the bolt would come forward and be ready to fire again. That didnt inspire confidence...

--Also with the TS-12, I found it bounced around a bit more than expected. Perhaps there is a lot of reciprocating mass slamming back and forth.

--I did not fire either Turkish gun, as they were not at Range day. No chance to fire anything inside the Sands Expo hall. However, I did pick them up handle them. The two from Derya seem VERY rear heavy. Holding it one-handed, by the pistol grip only, was really difficult. I own a LA K-12 Puma and it balances a lot better. And keep in mind that these guns are positively NOT loaded in the Expo hall.

--The Adler gun was not nearly as ass-heavy, but still somewhat rear heavy. I could and control it with one had on the pistol grip.

--As the IWI gun will probably be deemed to have one 15 round mag, rather than three 5 rounders, we likely wont get it in Canada.

--Unless the Sko-Bull can cut the cost by a lot, I dont see it selling well here or in the USA

--I really do hope the two Turkish guns are approved Non-R. More choice is always good. Having said that, I feel the Puma is a better design.
    Last edited by tootall; 02-02-2018 at 11:39 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer onetwentyish's Avatar
    Looking forward to pics of the Derya's!

Someone should swing by Standard Manufacturing and mention to them that factory SBS manual action bullpup shotguns are NR here. Keltec's 21.5" KSG tactical is NR, and I am considering getting one, that said a DP 12 shorty would be boss.
    "I dont usually bring targets im more of a dirt shooter." -daniel_250r
    I am the "small fringe minority" with "unacceptable" views.
    CCFR 🍁 CSSA

After I started this thread, I came across a third Turkish 12 ga 'pup.
    And this is also being handled by O'Dell Eng.

This is the MKA 1920, at the Husan Arms booth.

great pics!

Did you see the SKO Shorty? I saw it at the New Product Centre but of course we werent allowed pics...looked a lot better than the SKO Bull

RL

The aluminum Derya looks the best to my eyes, hopefully they're built at least as well as the MK12's - and the same or better price point.
    Travis Kay
    Proverbs 4:27
    http://www.traviskay.ca [laughably dated]
    http://linkedin.com/in/kaytravis

CGN Ultra frequent flyer onetwentyish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RL1 View Post
    great pics!

Did you see the SKO Shorty? I saw it at the New Product Centre but of course we werent allowed pics...looked a lot better than the SKO Bull

RL
    Was it a DP12 shorty?
    "I dont usually bring targets im more of a dirt shooter." -daniel_250r
    I am the "small fringe minority" with "unacceptable" views.
    CCFR 🍁 CSSA

Is it just me or does the back half (Lower?) of the Derya N100 look an awful lot like the back half of the SkoBull? Same angle of buttplate, same texturing, same pivot/screw point????, same magwell....

Quote Originally Posted by onetwentyish View Post
    Was it a DP12 shorty?
    SKO Shorty

Quote Originally Posted by freedompro View Post
    Is it just me or does the back half (Lower?) of the Derya N100 look an awful lot like the back half of the SkoBull? Same angle of buttplate, same texturing, same pivot/screw point????, same magwell....
    It does sort of look similar... Good catch.

I must admit, the Derya N-100 is the nicest looking to me - although I do not like the fact that it does not enable a angled grip and/or a accessory rail.

At least my 'Puma has something for me to lock on to when I brace it to my shoulder; albeit is a bit slim.