Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Brownell's Retro Rifles

Quote Originally Posted by horkz View Post
    NR done deal.
    Your opinion?.... or?
    Sisu - The will of the Finnish people to overcome against impossible odds.

Super cool!!

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by mileageman View Post
    Nothing to do with the “auto” stamp. I have several lowers that have such markings purchased since 2014. It is because Troy machined a tiny pocket indicating where the auto sear pin would go. That apparently is a No-No with the RCMP SFSS. But who knows, maybe they have now changed their ‘standards’ on what makes a AR15 lower prohibited. And I could unknowingly be in possession of prohib lowers / rifles.
    Either way, I'm hoping to pick up one or two of these beauties through irunguns.

Quote Originally Posted by mileageman View Post
    Nothing to do with the “auto” stamp. I have several lowers that have such markings purchased since 2014. It is because Troy machined a tiny pocket indicating where the auto sear pin would go. That apparently is a No-No with the RCMP SFSS. But who knows, maybe they have now changed their ‘standards’ on what makes a AR15 lower prohibited. And I could unknowingly be in possession of prohib lowers / rifles.
    Wrong. I happen to own one of the carbines in question, and Troy did NOT machine "a tiny pocket indicating where the Auto Sear Pin would go". They engraved a superficial, small circle on the exterior of the Lower Receiver to visually represent said pin, however all machining to the interior of the Lower (where it actually matters) is in fuĺl compliance with RCMP specifications. In fact, the Troy Lower exceeds those specifications by having an additional bridge of non-machined aluminum across the Trigger Mechanism Pocket where the Auto Sear would normally reside. You would have to remove more material from the Troy Lower Receiver than any other Commercial receiver on the market in order to accommodate the necessary "naughty parts".

To my understanding, the only reason the RCMP directed Rampart to cease importing the Troy Commemorative clone carbines is because the word "REPLICA" is engraved along the top edge of the Lower Receiver walls along wIth "SEMI ONLY". This is done to counter-act the "AUTO" and Auto Sear Pin engravings and convince the U.S. BATF that the Troy Lower Receivers are legit semi-auto-only. Unfortunately, "replica" firearms are prohibited for importation under Canadian law. This was done to keep realistic "non-firearms" out of the hands of children, thus reducing the risk of mistaken police shootings. No matter that the Troy Commemoratives are fully-functioning firearms in their own right. The use of the word "Replica" instead of any other word ( eg. "Souvenir"), gives the RCMP all the rationale they need to keep the Troy carbines out of Canada. The stupid part is that Canada's prohibition against "Replica Firearms" fails to keep Gray-market imports of Airsoft guns out of the country, which was the entire purpose of that law in the first place!

In a nut-shell, it is a single, dirty word that is keeping the Troy Commemoratives out of Canada, and that word is "Replica". Provided that the Brownells' Retro "tribute" rifles and carbine are not marketed (or marked) as Replicas, and assuming that their Lower Receivers are the "High Shelf" Trigger Pocket configuration, they should be fine for importation into Canada. Those are the "rules" today - all bets are off as of tomorrow, seeing get as how the Mounties can apparently just make up rules to suit their disarmament agenda.....

Last edited by Bartok5; 01-27-2018 at 11:52 AM.
    Mark C

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Johnyy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MartyK2500 View Post
    vietnam era style furniture, i just developped a new need
    Find a {nice} cheap Norinco 301 {A1 Copy} & a you can order a set of the furniture, & they ship to Canada. The kits aren't regulated.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnyy View Post
    Find a {nice} cheap Norinco 301 {A1 Copy} & a you can order a set of the furniture, & they ship to Canada. The kits aren't regulated.
    Absolutely! Here's my SP1 wearing a set of the Brownells "Early Army" Brown furniture. They've done a really nice job on the parts at a very reasonable price point of less than $80 USD per set....

Mark C

Quote Originally Posted by Bartok5 View Post
    Absolutely! Here's my SP1 wearing a set of the Brownells "Early Army" Brown furniture. They've done a really nice job on the parts at a very reasonable price point of less than $80 USD per set....

Where in Canada can I get a slab side lower?

Quote Originally Posted by Moue View Post
    Where in Canada can I get a slab side lower?
    On the EE. That's how I found mine on consignment at a site sponsor, since the Colt AR15 SP1s are long out of production and are all used to some extent. The SP1s are actually still fairly common if your keep an eye out. Values vary depending on the serial number range (lower/earlier = more desirable), as well as condition, rounds fired, etc. Generally speaking you shouldn't have to pay more than $1300 CAD for a decent example. Good luck with your hunt!
    Mark C

Been watching the coverage from Shot. I haven't seen anything that would get them banned, but as Bartok notes, it's sometimes just the visuals that will get you prohibited.

I'd love to own some of the rifles I've been seeing.
    "Canadians, in this fateful hour, I command you and I trust you to fight as you have ever fought with all your strength, with all your determination, with all your tranquil courage." Sir Arthur William Currie

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Travis Bickle's Avatar
    The AR15's are surely restricted IF the RCMP don't go full retard anyhow. At $1300 to $1400 US before import and conversion, you can build pretty damn close replicas from available parts up here and down south for way less. Meh.

I want to see/hear more of these AR10's.
    To me this is the personal holy grail. I know most people aren't into the old school stuff but one of those original AR10's NR to me would be the greatest thing that could have ever happened in our market in the last 10 years.
    Maybe it's just me. I was hoping there would be more reaction on the possibility of this thing being NR.
    Guns only have two natural enemies; politicians and rust.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast