Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Brownell's Retro Rifles

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Undergiver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kranatos View Post
    Any issues with the fit? That looks pretty damn good.... At a distance
    The only issue I had was the buffer tube, had to replace it with a U.S. made tube in order for the butt stock to fit and replace the handguard cap with a trianglar .625
    UCP member
    CPC member

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    The BCL 102 is essentially aprox $2K more or less. By the time you replace all the reported junk parts like the safety selector, grip, upgrade the handguards, the junk rear stock etc etc you're going to be well over $2K before you even consider putting optics on it. Rough to mediocre machining, ah the list goes on and on.
    Then you have to roll the NEA dice of whether or not you get one that shoots accurately, or does it cycle at all?
    It's a personal taste/interest thing. For me it was a miss sadly for the reasons I stated above.

I would gladly pay $2K CAD for a well made, very high quality material Non Restricted clone of an old school AR10.
    Ready to go, exactly how I want it, right out of the box for $2K CAD and I would do a backflip and click my heels....after I sold off some other guns to fund it :D
    Great minds think alike! How has this not blown up yet? Is it just because the thread was not named "non-restricted AR-10 Goodness"?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Splatter's Avatar
    I watched the Bownell's vid in the Retro AR10's. They seem to indicate that the "retro" is pretty much only cosmetic. The vid narator was talking about the internals and mags being DPMS compatable.
    "If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all. "

Noam Chomsky

CGN Ultra frequent flyer UCSPanther's Avatar
    I thought that there are a couple of AR-lookalike rifles here that take many parts from AR 15s, but are non-restricted.
    Target sighted...Range set (Panther quote from Earth 2150)

Proud member of the mini 14 cult

"The 1990s: The other dark age" - my quote

Quote Originally Posted by Splatter View Post
    I watched the Bownell's vid in the Retro AR10's. They seem to indicate that the "retro" is pretty much only cosmetic. The vid narator was talking about the internals and mags being DPMS compatable.
    so is the BCL 102 though

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Travis Bickle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Splatter View Post
    He mentions (as is posted clearly on the Brownells product website description) that the barrel assy, the bolt, the buffer tube, the pistol grip, the trigger assy, bolt assy are all DPMS AR10 pattern compatible. Read that as: all components listed are essentially DPMS parts (this is to save cost if they did a complete clone of all parts to original spec the price tag would be easily in the $6K range)
    However they have not stated anywhere that the upper receiver and lower receiver are compatible with modern DPMS pattern AR10's. This is crucial.
    Because if this is exactly what they are, then they are a direct concept clone of the current Non Restricted NEA102.
    The NEA102 is all modern DPMS AR10 pattern parts compatible (again to save cost of production with already available parts) The magic that makes the NEA102 NR is that the upper and lower are direct shaped clones of the original drawing for the 1950's AR10. It predates the AR15 and the upper/lower does not mate up with the modern AR10 upper/lowers (RCMP deemed these as "variants" of the AR15 thus restricted) so they are proprietary and thus Non Restricted.

So the FRT already exists for this gun right now in Canada essentially in the form of the NEA102 and also the very rare semi auto only production run of the original AR10 albeit with slightly different furniture and small parts changes.
    This would just be a new manufacture of the same rifles in existence already classified as Non Restricted.

I wish I could just get a direct answer from Brownells on this matter. Some people on here say they are in communications with the designers or something but still I can't seem to get any 100% clear answer on this. I have sent them e-mails and have received nothing back.

I have the cash in hand now ready to roll. Fack I want it bad...
    Guns only have two natural enemies; politicians and rust.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by CobraGT View Post
    If the Brownells AR10 ends up non-restricted, I'll be the first in line.
    Wanna bet :-)

So I did get a reply finally from Brownells Technical section on the upper/lower mate aspect.
    The reply was "We don't have that information at the moment (sure....lol) but the RCMP has already requested a sample and we are going to provide them with a sample and get back to you all with the results. We will let our Canadian customers become aware of the results"

This is pretty cool. They may clearly see the potential market for these up here yet. I would assume they know full well whether the upper/lower mating is go/no go. I would lose some serious respect for them if they did not this far into development/production. Assuming they are keeping it close to their chest so big brother up here can't figure out some BS in advance to get it banned by name etc.

Hey DILLIGAF, does this mean I'll finally be in the "I was the first guy to get a new gun in Canada" cool guy club for the first time ever?
    Do you guys meet up and wear fancy hats somewhere on a quarterly basis or something?

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    Hey DILLIGAF, does this mean I'll finally be in the "I was the first guy to get a new gun in Canada" cool guy club for the first time ever?
    Do you guys meet up and wear fancy hats somewhere on a quarterly basis or something?

Im Posted in August to Wainwright, Closing my Victoria Tile business. Im no longer in the " CLUB " :-(
    Last edited by DILLIGAF; 03-02-2018 at 02:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DILLIGAF View Post
    Im Posted in August to Wainwright, Closing my Victoria Tile business. Im no longer in the " CLUB " :-(
    Well if you ever come two hours North after APS for a day trip, we should shoot some time!

I'm heading down to Wainwright tomorrow night to send a buddy off for pre deployment drunk fest lol
    Alberta ain't that bad and hopefully we can kick Notleys ass out ASAP :D

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast