Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Brownell's Retro Rifles

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Travis Bickle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trigger'06 View Post
    Funny, you were the first one I thought of when i saw the rifles.
    lol I'm hoping so hard I'm going blow an o-ring.
    I already built me a sweet M16A1. I just want that black AR10. I would hate to say it but even if it comes in restricted I'd probably have to buy it regardless.

I should get my optimism in check though. It's foolish to imagine positive firearms outcomes in times like these
    Guns only have two natural enemies; politicians and rust.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer CobraGT's Avatar
    If the Brownells AR10 ends up non-restricted, I'll be the first in line.
    The right to buy weapons is the right to be free Barbarus hic ego sum, quia non intelligor illis
    EE Ads: Insurance is NOT included on any agreed "shipped" price!
    I take no responsibility for an EE item once it has been shipped.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer CobraGT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnyy View Post
    Find a {nice} cheap Norinco 301 {A1 Copy} & a you can order a set of the furniture, & they ship to Canada. The kits aren't regulated.
    I think you mean a CQ311. I made a few M16A1 clones from old M16A1 parts and CQ311s years ago - the Norcs have a round handguard retainer behind the front sight, though, so they're not ideal for a clone. Not bad, but not ideal. These Brownells ones are wayyy better.
    The right to buy weapons is the right to be free Barbarus hic ego sum, quia non intelligor illis
    EE Ads: Insurance is NOT included on any agreed "shipped" price!
    I take no responsibility for an EE item once it has been shipped.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Splatter's Avatar
    I would think that the BRN10 A and B would be non-restricted as clones of the original AR10 design, which is to say, pre-AR15, so not a variant.

Of course the word "variant" can mean all kinds of things to our Lie-beral overlords.
    "If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all. "

Noam Chomsky

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    This BR10 shouldn't be restricted, if BCL's isn't.

And not to poop in IRUNGUN's forum... and interfere with their business... cuz I've bought from them and will again....

but why the big excitement about this when BCL's offering is already available? Just askin'.

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by k_h View Post

And not to poop in IRUNGUN's forum... and interfere with their business... cuz I've bought from them and will again....

but why the big excitement about this when BCL's offering is already available? Just askin'.
    Is the BCL a retro rifle?

Ummm, 'cause the BCL is still an NEA by another name, and it shows in the lacklustre QC, poor barrel quality (heat-treat/stress relief, flute chattering), badly machined BCG internal surfaces and loose tolerances, sub-par trigger (heavy, gritty), etc. If I wanted an AR10 that is good for the NR lower receiver and proprietary matching upper as the basis for a custom build, then the BCL would be ideal. A very expensive way to get a somewhat "fussy" NR receiver set in terms of parts compatibility, but whatever.

The attraction of the Brownells' offering is first-world manufacturing standards and quality control, paired with an intriguing retro design that may just achieve NR status by having a proprietary upper/lower receiver fit. It is everything that the BCL is not in terms of quality manufacture. 'Nuff said.
    Mark C

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartok5 View Post
    Ummm, 'cause the BCL is still an NEA by another name, and it shows in the lacklustre QC, poor barrel quality (heat-treat/stress relief, flute chattering), badly machined BCG internal surfaces and loose tolerances, sub-par trigger-pull (heavy, gritty), etc. If I wanted an AR10 that is good for the NR lower receiver and proprietary matching upper as the basis for a custom build, then the BCL would be ideal. A very expensive way to get a somewhat "fussy" NR receiver set in terms of parts compatibility, but whatever.

The attraction of the Brownells' offering is first-world manufacturing standards and quality control, paired with an intriguing retro design that may just achieve NR status by having a proprietary upper/lower receiver fit. It is everything that the BCL is not in terms of quality manufacture. 'Nuff said.
    NEA re branded NO THANKS! not even worth a google search. I bought one NEA product and sold it before even using it I was so unimpressed

I'd buy one of the Brownell's if its NR in a heart beat, and still interested even if they are restricted

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Travis Bickle's Avatar

The BCL is a prototype that's being developed as users shoot it using the money said users risked on the product.

On top of that, it's confused. It's a tactical semi auto gas rifle with giant honking precision bull barrel that only shoots 2-3 MOA anyhow with average factory ammo.
    Very heavy and off balance for no real payoff. Typical NEA quality control hell. Reliability issues from rifle to rifle. Performance variations from rifle to rifle. Badly machined parts (eject ports etc). Plus the rifle keeps changing production-run to production-run. No communication whatsoever from the manufacturer re the item. This is just my personal opinion on it anyhow and from personal observations and personal actual use of the rifle.

The greatest achievement accomplished by the NEA 102 is getting the pre AR15 original semi auto only AR10 receiver officially recognized in modern times as Non Restricted.

Some of us oddballs just like simple, old school, light weight reliable rifles and 2-3 MOA is plenty accurate enough. I've been dreaming of this for many years. Now it may come true. I'll take a rifle that weighs about 7.5 lbs perfectly balanced ready to rock that shoots any ammo available at 2-3 MOA over the above any day.

Plus 7075 T6 billet receivers, 9310 carbon steel MPI BCG (which is actually stronger than milspec) likely machined properly by a competent American manufacturing company. I doubt we're going to see any $2000 AR10's from Brownells with Norinco quality butter knife dull machining marks, off size ejection ports and all the other NEA "joy" I've seen over the past 10 years of their products....

Plus you can go to their website and get all the info for their product including what is compatible with it right off the hop. All the specs etc, laid out in plain english and the product isn't even available yet. You know, customer service and good communication with clear product descriptions....Something that got lost in the mad rush to take peoples money by NEA....

That's why the big excitement from me anyhow.
    And so now we wait so impatiently :S
    Last edited by Travis Bickle; 01-29-2018 at 01:52 AM.
    Guns only have two natural enemies; politicians and rust.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    NOT to derail an IRG thread, but thanks for the comments on the BCL product. I've followed the NEA saga... I never thought I'd even CONSIDER one of their products... yet here I am. The report in Caliber magazine was downright glowing, there have been some positive range reviews.... so it's good to have a 'grain of salt'.

The BRN10 is pretty interesting... I guess I do find the price somewhat intimidating, with our respective $$s where they are. Hopefully if IRG can bring them in- as NR- they're also able to negotiate a better price from Brownell's for their Canadian customers.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast